« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Black FL2, sunroof and hot dusty weather
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
michael80

Black FL2, sunroof and hot dusty weather

Hello all,

I'm looking to buy a 2007 FL2, black with a sunroof. The intent is to take it with us as we move to the Northern Territory, Australia, and use it on our travels across the hot, dusty outback. Question is, will it be too hot for a sunroof and will the dust become a problem. I'm looking for personal experiences if possible. Can't wait to buy our FL2, been dreaming for a while now. Thanks in advance

Michael

Post #76384 20th Sep 2010 2:53 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Hot dusty weather not really a problem in the UK
Took a Black FL1 through the Sahara a couple of years ago, 45 deg C in the shade.
Opening the sun roof just made the aircon work too hard - still better than openong the windows as that instantly cilled the cabin with dust. Leaving the sunroof tilted did help when parked, if you didn't the satnav wouldn't work i
until it had cooled - over an hour.
Black is not a problem unless you touch you touch the bodywork, black cars usually come with light interiors - which is good - black leather on hot climates not fun. We fitted mirror tints to the rear, this kept is cooler tjan our travelling companions - then again a dark coloured 90 with no aircon was hot and dusty. Drink lots of water as aircon will dehydrate you as fast as having the windows open. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #76386 20th Sep 2010 6:54 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

The sunroof lets light through but hot the heat of the sun from what i understand

There was a member on here called Dorko, he had a Black FL2 (until a storm wrote it off) looked great with the thin layer of red dust covering it, and never said there was a problem with the sun and it been black Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #76416 20th Sep 2010 11:08 am
proplus

Black FL2 here with sunroof. I'm a dirty Censored so I opted for black leather and black interior. The sunroof does do a good job but my black interior soaks up the heat on a sunny day. Maybe adding tinted windows will help.

If what Andy says is the norm for the SatNav, I'd recommend taking an extra one for backup.

Post #76425 20th Sep 2010 1:32 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 
Re: Black FL2, sunroof and hot dusty weather

michael80 wrote:
Hello all,

I'm looking to buy a 2007 FL2, black with a sunroof. The intent is to take it with us as we move to the Northern Territory, Australia, and use it on our travels across the hot, dusty outback. Question is, will it be too hot for a sunroof and will the dust become a problem. I'm looking for personal experiences if possible. Can't wait to buy our FL2, been dreaming for a while now. Thanks in advance

Michael

Last time I was in Oz the general rule was shut all windows and turn aircon to max, just to keep the dust out (this assumes you have a good dust filter). I'd have thought a sunroof would suck the dust in a bit. Good for keeping the car a bit cooler while parked though.
Ps you really know what dust is when a Northern Territory roadtrain barrels towards you. Zero vis for about a quarter mile.

Post #76553 21st Sep 2010 5:03 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1