Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > who tows a heavy caravan with a fl2? im thinking 1700kg +
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

The log book (V5) for our car says 'Mass in service - 1970 kg' (Max mass 2505 kg)
.......And I thought the 85% rule was for inexperienced people, with our last saloon car I towed at nearly 100% for the past 5 or 6 years without a sniff of a problem....fantastic now with the Freely Thumbs Up

Post #75592 9th Sep 2010 2:20 pm
Missing Link

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Zermatt Silver

In order to tow a trailer heavier than the towing vehicle you need at least a B+E category driving license. B only limits you to a car/trailer of equal weight. In either case you are limitied to a gross train weight of 3,500Kg.

A C1 license takes your vehicle limit up to 7,500Kg but on its own limits the trailer to 750Kg. A C1+E allows the trailer to be up to the weight of the towing vehicle but no more and the Gross Train Weight is restricted to 12,000Kg.

The 85% rating is purely a guideline as recommended by most motoring organisations and as such has no direct status in law. It therefore cannot be cited as unsafe in itself for exceeding this figure.

So for example for a Disco to tow a laden horsebox you are doing it on a B+E license because this is the only scenario where the trailer can exceed the towing vehicle and you can be over the 3,500Kg train weight. Prog rock is cool! Smile
2012 XS SD4 Indus Silver

Post #75594 9th Sep 2010 3:11 pm
xtattsbox

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

christian138 wrote:
xtattsbox wrote:
Just had a look a www.whattowcar.com and it doesn't really recommend it.

Have a look.

Out of curiousity I put in a fleetwood Heritage 1700kg

Quote:
The match between car and caravan is plausible in accordance with a mix of European standards. However, according to the British Towing Code the percentage (loaded caravan / kerbweight tow car) is 88%.

The towing performances of this Landrover with your Fleetwood are perfect (performance index = 109 km/h or 68 mph).

You may expect excellent performances from this outfit. On flat roads it's easy to come along, in which case top gear is applicable under normal circumstances.

On motorway inclines you will be able not only to come along, but be the first at the top. On steep roads you have more than sufficient power to keep going. On hill starts there will be more than enough power to get going, provided the wheels have traction.

it gives 5 stars !

My bad! I hunted for a van with 1700 kgs, I think that the Max was the issue.

Anyway it works then Very Happy

Sorry CG, looks like someone else may be clogging up the roads / parking on the M5!! Hi Darling, I'll be home in 10 mins. If I'm not back, please read this message again...

Post #75606 9th Sep 2010 5:01 pm
New2LR

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Indus Silver

Hi 1st Freelander

My MY09 XS auto has a kerb weight of 1940 kg

It tows 1595 kg with no problems

Post #75625 9th Sep 2010 8:48 pm
Toolking

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Baltic Blue

I can confirm the comments on towing a big Fleetwood. We have a heritage 600Cb with a stated MTPLW of 1750K. A good combination with our TD4, very stable and happily tows on the motorway in 6th gear, only needing to drop into 5th on the steeper hills. It copes with steep hills on ordinary roads with no problem at all He who dies with the most tools wins!

Post #75639 9th Sep 2010 11:31 pm
Alona

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

Hi All

We have an Abbey Vouge 650, with the weight plate re done to 1800kg by swift.

In a nut shell, it pulls a dream. As you can see i have an SE which if i remember the V5 doc say's 1958kg. Thats without the factory roof rails and the towbar. This would bring the weight up to 2000kg.

What TowCar comes out at 84% with the V5 kerb weight.,and 82% @ 2000kg including the extras.

The match between car and caravan is perfect in accordance with a mix of European standards. However, according to the British Towing Code the percentage (loaded caravan / kerbweight tow car) is 84%.

The towing performances of this Landrover with your Abbey are perfect (performance index = 101 km/h or 63 mph).

So well under.

Alona 08 FL2 SE TD4 manual,Santorini Black, Factory fitted Black Tinted Glass, Anti-Tesco Trolly Side Protection, bebe confort axiss carseats & Cargo barrier to stop twin's buggy & junk coming through. NO Sweets Crisps or Drinks inside.
WITH TWINS, YOU DON'T HAVE MONEY Smile Now towing a Abbey Vouge 650 1800kg

Tug weight 1958kg + Roofrails & Towbar

Post #75670 10th Sep 2010 4:25 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Big Cry Evil or Very Mad At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #75671 10th Sep 2010 4:53 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

It wasn't a van but the last load I had was knocking on the 2 ton barrier....a track car and spares and the freel towed at...he hem, pretty high speed all day long without breaking into a sweat. A mate of mine following in a Navara couldn't keep up with a similar weight, and we gave up quite quickly waiting for the defender behind that! It was pretty windy too but I never found anything at any point dangerous,, or limited by the car. (Just my mate following!) Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #75674 10th Sep 2010 5:49 pm
4wheeldriver

Scotland 

Ok to clarify the weights and licence issues.

You CAN tow up to the max recommended weight for your car (2000kgs for FL2) provided that the TRAIN WEIGHT isn't exceeded. The train weight is the gross weight of the car plus the gross of the trailer. The info required will be either in the hand book or on the weight plate on the car somewhere. There wil be 4 lines of numbers on it. Line 1 is front axle weight. Line 2 is rear axle. Line 3 is total of these two and Line 4 is the Train Weight.

The B+E licence is only required IF you PASSED YOUR CAR TEST AFTER 1st JANUARY 1997. If you passed prior to that then the "E" entitlement is given automatically.

Hope that helps a bit.
4WD X5 3.0sd SE with more extras than the cast of Sparticus..............

Post #76147 16th Sep 2010 10:52 pm
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Funny signature Thumbs Up

Post #76160 17th Sep 2010 9:53 am
4wheeldriver

Scotland 

Strut

I ysed to have an RRS till it decided it didn't like working so LR bought it back! Contemplated a FL2 before buying the X5!

Did have an FL2 SHE loaner for 3 months while dealer tried to fix the RRS tho! X5 3.0sd SE with more extras than the cast of Sparticus..............

Post #76163 17th Sep 2010 10:06 am
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

4wd sounds like you had some rotten luck!

For people who have to do a B+E test (Me) the maximum gross train weight is 3500kg, no ifs or buts, and the car has to be heavier than the trailer. Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #76434 20th Sep 2010 2:58 pm
Missing Link

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Zermatt Silver

Just come back from a trip up to Leicester (approx 140 miles each way). It was a really good run and planning further afield next year. Cruise control is a godsend as there is no tendancy to overun the safe limit which is only a slap on the wrist without the van but risky with it. Several articles warn of taking care past HGVs because of the buffeting they can generate but there was no problems at all.

What I did notice was the MPG. On the way up it was into a quite strong head wind, coming back it was much less and as the direction was the same a slight tail wind, about 3-4 mpg difference. I am curious if a deflector would also make any improvement as the vehicle is quite high anyway.

Mothballed the van for the winter, you soon collect a load of stuff in it. I think I ought to weighbridge it when kitted out in the spring Prog rock is cool! Smile
2012 XS SD4 Indus Silver

Post #76468 20th Sep 2010 8:19 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12