« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Loss of Power
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
nicam

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Loss of Power

Driving on the motorway (FL2 TD4 manual) this morning - usual route - using cruise control, when the speed started to drop from the set 70mph (yes, 70 really!) going up an incline. Pressed down on the accelerator and there was no response - Freelander continued to slow until the hill finished, then the speed picked back up to 70mph. I then tried some accelerations and the engiine was as flat as a flat thing - no guts at all - in any gear. After 5-6 miles, came off the motorway junction and then the response was back to normal, pulling strongly from about 1500 rpm upwards. It was definitely down on engine power, it wasn`t the steepness of the hill, as it normally cruises the same road with ease, nor was it a headwind, weight in the car, low fuel or anything else I could think of. Any thoughts from the collective knowledge?
I will monitor performance for a few days before deciding to visit the stealership. Does anyone know how long faults are kept in memory for on the FL2? I had a discovery and was told that after 5 ignition off/on sequences any non recurring faults were cleared.
nicam Don`t drive faster than your angel can fly!

Post #5406 10th Aug 2007 2:16 pm
albert frederik

Netherlands 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Auto Narvik Black

@ nicam
Looks like your car is in "limp mode" normally it should come with notification in the dash with 'reduced engine performance' you can check my post in this category "reduced engine performance" I suffered this already 4 times, we now have trouble trusting the car, however our 'stealer ship' said more cars have this problem and that LR is working on it.

In the meanwhile after 4 resets, we only do some local shopping since this limp mode on a high way is a dangerous exercise.

Regards Fred

Post #5409 10th Aug 2007 4:12 pm
nicam

There was no dashboard indication when the incident occured, plus the car was capable of 70 mph on all but a steep hill - that doesn`t sound like "limp" mode. And it cleared itself within a few miles. And it has been OK since. I suppose a incorrect sensor somewhere could have temporarily upset the ECU`s. Time will tell I think. Don`t drive faster than your angel can fly!

Post #5457 13th Aug 2007 9:44 am
MIXALIS

Run to your dealer with all the speed you can get out of your Freel2!

Dont stay & play .... scoop & run!

Post #5462 13th Aug 2007 3:29 pm
2nd time arond

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

My 1st Freelander 2 lost power like yours but this was accompanied by the fuel gauge dropping to empty and the low fuel warning light coming on (there was a full tank of fuel in reality). It played this trick a couple of times until one day it stopped altogether. I rejected the car and am now well into my second Freelander which apart from an air bag warning light coming on on Day 2, has been faultless in just over 4000 miles.

Post #5475 13th Aug 2007 10:09 pm
nicam

Its done its low power trick just once more since, but has run fine for the last couple of days - so to the dealer it went this morning. 2 hours later they couldn`t find any faults, recorded or apparent. It is booked back in in 2 weeks for them to investigate further.
I also pointed out to them that it has become apparent, in the recent damp weather, that a considerable number of the heated front screen elements were not working (I estimate 25% not working). I can only see one solution to that one - lets see what they come up with. Don`t drive faster than your angel can fly!

Post #5491 15th Aug 2007 1:28 pm
Gambba

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

nicam wrote:

I also pointed out to them that it has become apparent, in the recent damp weather, that a considerable number of the heated front screen elements were not working (I estimate 25% not working). I can only see one solution to that one - lets see what they come up with.

Will that be to provide you with a blow torch to manually heat the front windscreen? Laughing

Post #5515 15th Aug 2007 4:19 pm
carlfraz

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Gambba for a Dutch guy you are pretty funny Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #5756 24th Aug 2007 11:44 pm
nicam

New Windscreen fitted - no misty stripes on the windscreen any more! And the Auto lights and wipers all work Very Happy Don`t drive faster than your angel can fly!

Post #7640 29th Sep 2007 6:59 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1