« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Rear Differential / Drive Train Failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Grimbo

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Zermatt Silver
Rear Differential / Drive Train Failure

Sorry for not keeping you all up to date lads, but I'm at work offshore in Qatar and getting access to the net has not been easy. So over a week has passed since my car broke down with what the LR assistance mechanic told my wife was gearbox failure. Well my apologies for the bum information which I posted, but that is what she was told by him.

As far as I know, and I quote from the information we received from our dealer they took a look at the underside of the car and found out that the rear differential had broken into pieces.
Having looked closely it appeared the crown wheel had become detached and then shattered the casing.

Hence the loud explosion which my wife heard from the underneath of the car.
I have been playing ping pong email with LR for the last three days trying to find out the reason why it has happened. However you will not be surprised to hear that they do not know why, and they can't guarantee it won't happen again. Inspires you with confidence doesn't it??????
Some other drive train components have also been replaced but at this precise moment I cannot tell you exactly what they are. We have had a "Land Rover Experience" alright, a nightmare of one to be honest and it has been like "pulling teeth" trying to get information out of them. I'm not impressed to say the least as LR have tried their level best to make it hard going trying to make me give up asking for answers to what I beleive are safety related and reliability issues.
However I will not give up until I find out the answers to my questions, however long it takes. So the problem the Range Rover used to have with the front differential may well be alive and well in the FL2, who knows only time will tell. It may also be linked to the faulty sensor in the rear diff which some of you early model owners have posted about?

Well that's about it for now except to say the car will be delivered back to my wife on Monday morning. Lets hope all is well and it's not just a temporary fix which might re-occur. I would be most grateful for any technical input from any of you, your thoughts and ideas, or any information regarding problems with the rear differentials on you vehicles.

Oh and by the way I also tow a caravan, ( I've got loads of caravanability me), and towed our van 900 miles back from the Costa Brava approximately one week and 250 miles before the rear differential shattered. Co-incidence who knows?? Tow car of the Year...................... the way I feel at the moment.............definately not.

Post #7635 29th Sep 2007 5:52 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1