« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Lack of goodwill regarding Steering Fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
jerry21

Lack of goodwill regarding Steering Fault

Help and advice wanted from very frustrated owner

We own a 2007 HSE and literally just after the warranty expired (6 weeks ago) our steering started to become heavy , and naturally we have found out that the steering rack will need replacing at considerable cost. The car has only done 26000 miles and has been well looked after including the required services , albeit not with LR.
IT transpires that this fault is caused by 'weld splatter contamination in the steering gear piston tube' , which naturally leads to further problems and finally the required steering rack replacement. This is all highlighted in a LR technical bulletin from nov 2009.
After speaking with my local dealership LR offered me 33% goodwill towards repairs . GIven this is clearly a manufacturing and recognised fault and is now extremely dangerous , as the power sterring barely works, surely regardless of warranty and , given the history of the car , LR should contribute more like 100%.

ANy advice / other experiences appreciated as i cannot afford to pay our £600+

Post #76016 15th Sep 2010 9:00 am
phil_wkl

Australia 

My only suggestion would be contact LR UK customer services and explain to them your situation. I did for the B pillar wear issue as my local dealer didn't acknowledge it. They managed to contact my local dealer and basically sorted it for me. It did take a few weeks and some chasing but could be worth a phone call.

Although your title is misleading as they are showing some goodwill by paying a third? and the car is out of warranty... Phil

Post #76021 15th Sep 2010 10:04 am
jerry21

hi, thanks , and yes they are offering some goodwill but my point is that this is clearly a fault they know about.

Sorry, forgot to mention in my first post that i have contacted UK customer services and they are unwilling to budge! I did ask for a more senior person to call me but surprisingly they havent called back

Post #76022 15th Sep 2010 10:09 am
Junior

England 

My 07 reg has recently developed heavy steering when setting off with a little (R/H) lock on, (intermittent and just for a second or so) are these the symptoms everyone else has experienced?

Post #76028 15th Sep 2010 11:02 am
jerry21

sounds ominous - i would get it checked. also the bulletin refers to VINs H000001-H150000, so you may want to check and if within this range it could be the afore mentioned fault. Let me know how you get on. Potential cost is around £900 to replace steering rack etc, unfortunately which results from a fault from a much smaller part.

Post #76031 15th Sep 2010 12:15 pm
xtattsbox

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Jerry21, I think that you are going to have a fight, but they are talking Censored . It is given away by the "good will payment" You can re read "good will payment" "trying to fob you off payment.

Firstly has the fault been linked to "weld splatter contamination in the steering gear piston tube". If it is and there is no way that it could have happened in the 6 weeks that it was in warranty. (AND it is a known fault) then LR are liable for the repair as it happened during the manufacturing process.

"Your rights when buying from a car dealer

When buying from a dealer, under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) a car must be:

Of satisfactory quality. It must meet the standard a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, bearing in mind the way it was described, how much it cost, the make, the age, the history, the mileage, the intended usage of the car and any other relevant circumstances. Amongst other things, this covers the fitness, appearance and finish of the car, its safety and its durability. The car must be free from defects, except when they were pointed out to you by the seller before you agreed to buy it or where you have inspected the car and that inspection ought to have uncovered the car defects. Even where a car appears to have a minor defect, it may still be of unsatisfactory quality if that defect could lead to extensive damage or render the car dangerous to drive.

Also:
- It is not sufficient that a car is merely roadworthy and safe.
- The dealer may be liable for faults that were present at the time of sale, even though they may only become apparent later on.
- Dealers are not liable for fair wear and tear, where the car broke down through normal use. Nor are they liable for your misuse or accidental damage
As described. This covers all statements made about the car, whether in writing, in a conversation over the phone or in the showroom, in a newspaper, website, email or text, or in documentation. If the advert states "air conditioning and CD player" then the car should come with these features and they should be working.
Reasonably fit for any normal purpose. It should get you from A to B with the appropriate degree of comfort, ease of handling and reliability that a reasonable person would expect.
Reasonably fit for any other purpose you make known to the dealer. For example, if you require a vehicle for towing a caravan."

http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/before_yo...ars/dealer

They are liable for the costs, end of... Hi Darling, I'll be home in 10 mins. If I'm not back, please read this message again...

Post #76033 15th Sep 2010 12:23 pm
jerry21

thanks for your response and support and yes agreed the sale of goods act does does make them liable especially in this case.
I will be taking it back to them

Post #76101 16th Sep 2010 8:41 am
blinged freelander

Jerry, I see your point, but the reality is unless you want to chase LR round the garden for a year or two, your car needs the work done now. I'd take the 33% off and get it done. It's no good if you have an accident knowing the vehicle is faulty. You insurance could be void.

Post #76106 16th Sep 2010 9:53 am
xtattsbox

blinged freelander wrote:
Jerry, I see your point, but the reality is unless you want to chase LR round the garden for a year or two, your car needs the work done now. I'd take the 33% off and get it done. It's no good if you have an accident knowing the vehicle is faulty. You insurance could be void.

You are spot on, but the problem is, the dealer are legally obliged to sort the problem out. They rely on the fact that people either, don't want the hassle or don't fully understand their legal rights.

The issue with this one is that the car was sold with the fault, there is a TSR for it, therefore it is recognised as such by Land rover and as such they are liable for the repair.

If they say no, small claims court. Hi Darling, I'll be home in 10 mins. If I'm not back, please read this message again...

Post #76113 16th Sep 2010 10:45 am
redlabel

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

phil_wkl wrote:
My only suggestion would be contact LR UK customer services and explain to them your situation. I did for the B pillar wear issue as my local dealer didn't acknowledge it. They managed to contact my local dealer and basically sorted it for me. It did take a few weeks and some chasing but could be worth a phone call.

Although your title is misleading as they are showing some goodwill by paying a third? and the car is out of warranty...

b-pillar wear issue???? FL2, TD4 HSE
The flaming Orange!

Post #76121 16th Sep 2010 2:24 pm
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

When you pull the seat belt out to fasten, the pulling action at an angle rubs the belt against the plastic surround as the belt comes out of the retaining hole - had mine done twice Shocked

Post #76127 16th Sep 2010 3:01 pm
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Redlabel....this wear....aaahhh it's started to do it again Thud

Embarassed Sincere apologies to Jerry21 for being Off Topic

Post #76129 16th Sep 2010 3:14 pm
xtattsbox

Mine does that!!

Actually, it is causing wear on the seatbelts! PLUS!!! it will stop the bloody rattle in my ear!! Hi Darling, I'll be home in 10 mins. If I'm not back, please read this message again...

Post #76133 16th Sep 2010 5:02 pm
Allan

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Jerry

Had the same issue with our 06 car when 6 months out of warranty and Land Rover stumped up 66%.
Same issue now begining to develop with the 07 commercial, so looks like another trip to see what they can do this time.

Allan 2009 Grey HSE Auto
Gone;
2006 Black FL2 SE manual
2007 Silver FL2 GS commercial manual.

Post #76146 16th Sep 2010 10:26 pm
blinged freelander

Xstatsbox, I agree, but it's more important to be legal and get the job done. You can always chase up the compo later.

For example, I had a lamination problem with my front windscreen. A warranty matter. The LR dealership outsourced it to a windscreen company. When I got it back there was glass in the car which had to be cleaned up at the dealership, the excise licence was missing and a burn mark in the passenger seat. The windscreen company is footing the bill for a valet. The excise was eventually found, but everyone is denying the burn mark. I am not sure if it was a cigarette, I am a non smoker and so is everyone at the LR dealership and Windscreen Company! or if it was a tool used to try to extract the old windscreen, something like a soldering iron I believe, but ultimately, it will get done, hopefully the dealer will sort it FOC, but if not, I'll have to pay for it and take out a small claim action.

I don't see there is any difference between that and the original posters problem.

Post #76151 17th Sep 2010 12:40 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>