Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > LR2 / Freelander 2 Gas Milage (i6)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
macattack15

United States 
LR2 / Freelander 2 Gas Milage (i6)

Hey Everyone! I have recently been in the market for a new LR2 and stumbled across this board a few weeks ago. First I have to say this seems like one of the best informed / helpful car forms I have been on in a long time, but enough of that. So reading reviews of the LR2 and test driving one I noticed the not-all-that-great mpg rating of 16 / 23 and thought that surly such an advanced engine would get better gas milage. Upon investigation of the gas milage ratings on the LR2 I found that the United States Government fuel economy ratings were achieved while running the car on Regular Gas!! (87oct here) you can find these results yourself here : http://www.fueleconomy.gov/ (sorry It doesn't allow direct linking). So my question for all you i6 owners out there,

Do you achieve a 16 - 23 mpg range with a 19mpg average like the fueleconomy.gov site lists or do you get an 19 - 33mpg range with a 25mpg average like many of the European countries rating systems state?

I'm just a 19 year old with an awesome job and a pretty unreliable car I want to trade in and I have done the math and worked out the calculations on payments and how much it will wind up costing me, but I would like to be able to figure out how much I am saving on gas!

Thanks in advance,
Nick

Post #7360 24th Sep 2007 4:31 am
yamaha-fan

Germany 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Welcome on bord, Nick. As you have said, it is a very good community and a well informed too.
Now coming back to your question on fuel consumption.
In Europe you will mostly see the Freelander 2 with the TD4 diesel engine, as petrol is very costly over here, and diesel is considerably cheaper. Besides this, diesel engines consume less. This is the reason why in Europe 90% of the SUV's have diesel engines, besides the fact, that modern turbo-diesel engines do have a much higher torque at low rev's than petrol engines.
So, diesel-fuel consumption of my FL2 TD4 is around 8,5 litre per 100 km (or 27,62 mpg) with Automatic and aircon.
Being aware that diesel engines are not (at present - but I am sure that this will change) widely availabe in the USA, the Freelander 2 with the inline 6 petrol engine will consume around 18,8 mpg in comparison.

Yamaha-Fan

Post #7364 24th Sep 2007 11:48 am
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

The UK must be different to the rest of Europe then........Diesel is normally more expensive over here than petrol Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #7368 24th Sep 2007 12:36 pm
carlfraz

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

2-3 pence per litre normally, 10 years ago it was cheaper. Funny how now we all use diesel the price swings from cheapest to dearest Evil or Very Mad Coincidence????me thinks not.

Post #7371 24th Sep 2007 1:37 pm
yamaha-fan

Germany 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Guys, I said EUROPE - not UK. No, joke aside, in Benelux, Germany, Italy, France, Spain and in most eastern countries diesel is cheaper than petrol. That is the reason why in Germany 9 out of 10 FL2 are diesel's, and I believe a similar ratio you will find in Austria, Italy, France and Spain.
In Germany, the price difference diesel over petrol is 18 to 20 Euro Cent per litre.
The reason is the lower tax on diesel in Germany due to the very powerful road transport lobby.

YF

Post #7372 24th Sep 2007 2:48 pm
Gambba

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

yamaha-fan wrote:
In Germany, the price difference diesel over petrol is 18 to 20 Euro Cent per litre.

In Holland you pay 35-45 euro cent per litre more than diesel.......but then again your car tax is more for diesel and also because of teh engine the car is generally heavier so you'll get extra tax for that as well.

Post #7373 24th Sep 2007 4:11 pm
Gambba

Re: LR2 / Freelander 2 Gas Milage (i6)

macattack15 wrote:
I'm just a 19 year old with an awesome job and a pretty unreliable car

Bank robber.....me thinks Rolling with laughter

Post #7374 24th Sep 2007 4:21 pm
ColoradoLR2

United States 2007 LR2 i6 SE Auto Narvik Black

Hi Nick, welcome to the board. We're seeing about 19mpg (US) in normal usage, which in our case means the one mile trip to work for my wife and various errands around town. On the highway it's more like 24mpg.

There was some discussion on a thread a few months ago about improved mileage with Premium fuel. I generally run Regular because we live in Colorado at 5,000 feet, which makes higher octane less necessary. I did try Premium fuel for a tank or two and saw a small improvement but there were so many variables involved that I don't know that the test was valid. Premium runs about 10% higher than Regular so it would require a similar 10% improvement in economy to break even. Assuming ~20mpg that means a 2mpg improvement, which is at best what I noticed in terms of improved economy (again, VERY unscientifically). Now, as for reduced CO2 emmissions perhaps a break even trade off makes it worthwhile.

All that said, the LR2 is a great car/truck/SUV/4x4 and we've been very pleased with it after 5 months. To be able to have the space, capabilities and luxury of this vehicle and still get 24mpg on the highway (4mpg better than our old minivan, btw) is impressive in my book. Greg East
Loveland, Colorado
USA
'08 LR2 Hers
'93 740i Mine
'87 944 turbo Mistress

Post #7376 24th Sep 2007 4:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
macattack15

United States 

Haha, First of all I would like to say I'm not a bank robber gambba, I just happen to work for a fruity company, you could say, that makes one hell of an mp3 player / cellphone / internet communicator... and that same company gives me a discount on land rovers! Thanks for the info ColoradoLR2, here where I live it works out about exactly the same to run premium if i get the better gas milage, Do you notice any knocks or pings running on regular as the manual suggests may happen? I want this car to last me a longgggg time, lol!

Thanks,
Nick

Post #7377 24th Sep 2007 8:09 pm
Gambba

macattack15 wrote:
Haha, First of all I would like to say I'm not a bank robber gambba

Now I'm disappointed Big Cry

Sounds like you're on a winner with your company....especially as they have arrangements with Land Rover Very Happy

Oh...almost forgot welcome to the boards Thumbs Up

P.S. PM sent about Ipod stuff as per Nightfox's suggestion!!! Rolling with laughter

Last edited by Gambba on 24th Sep 2007 9:21 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #7382 24th Sep 2007 9:18 pm
NightFox

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

You KNOW everyone's going to be PM'ing you now to see if you can get cheap iPod Touches, don't you?

Post #7383 24th Sep 2007 9:19 pm
looney_loey

United States 

first of all welcome nick! Very Happy

secondly, I'm a "Converted" Laughing (meaning I'm now a mac user/lover) so do I hear any software discounts from you? Whistle

and to answer your question, our LR2 MPG @4500 miles now is around 18.7 - 19.8 combined highway/city driving
this is a result of the wife driving on auto while in my hands she's on manual/sports mode.

and oh she only drinks Shell Premium 91 Octane.

Thumbs Up Do Not Follow Me...You Can't Go Where I Go!!!

.....up in the tree!!!

Post #7394 25th Sep 2007 2:07 am
ColoradoLR2

United States 2007 LR2 i6 SE Auto Narvik Black

macattack15 wrote:
Do you notice any knocks or pings running on regular as the manual suggests may happen?

No and if I did I'd definitely switch to Premium, although with modern knock detection I don't know that you'd ever hear it, the computer would just pull timing until the ping went away. That said, I didn't really notice any improvement in performance when it was on 91 octane on my butt dyno, although if the bump in fuel economy was real then maybe there's something there.

I suspect the knock sensor advances the timing to the edge of knock regardless of what octane fuel you're running so I don't think running 87 vs 91 is any harder on the engine. Again, keep in mind that this is at 5,000 feet (1524 meters) of elevation and the lower density of the air makes engines less prone to knock. YMMV.

BTW, I work for a certain 'light emitting star' high tech company that also offers the Ford Xplan, which is what I used to buy the LR2 with...with Land Rover up for sale by Ford I'd suggest you hurry!

Oh, and I recently bought an 80gb iPod for me and a new Nano for my daughter, so I'm good Laughing Greg East
Loveland, Colorado
USA
'08 LR2 Hers
'93 740i Mine
'87 944 turbo Mistress

Post #7395 25th Sep 2007 2:49 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
riverr02

United States 2007 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Wish I was getting similar mileage. My LR2, with about 600 miles on it thus far, is only getting a little higher than 14 mpg in city (New York) driving. Granted that is stop and go all the way ; ) However, I've seen it go as high as 23-24 mpg when on the highway.

BTW, I wonder if some of the differences in MPG between what is reported on US LR2's and UK FL2's is related to differences in the size of a gallon (1 imperial gallon=1.2 US gallons).

Post #7396 25th Sep 2007 2:55 am
mkaresh

My site has a real-world fuel economy survey, but I don't think there are any responses for the LR2 yet.

Unlike other such surveys, mine asks about driving conditions and driving style, but is still short enough to fill out quickly.

I am based in the U.S., so only the U.S. LR2 model and powertrains are in the database. If someone can provide basic specs for the European/UK powertrains (displacement, HP@rpm, Torque@rpm, transmission type, transmission speeds), I can enter those. I'd do this under the LR2, not Freelander 2, to avoid having information on the model in two different places. truedelta.com
Vehicle reliability, fuel economy, and price comparison information

Post #7553 27th Sep 2007 6:10 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1