« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Diesel Newbie Question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
heatha05

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Dynamic Auto Fuji White
Diesel Newbie Question

Have driven petrol cars up until a few months ago when I bought the MY10 Freelander Td4_e. Am loving it, but have noticed that after 4 months and 5000 miles or so the oil is looking distinctly black (although still as runny as usual). Just wondered if the colour was normal for diesel engines as if this were a petrol motor I'd probably change the oil.

I have topped it up occasionally, so there's plenty of oil in the sump. is it a good idea to have the oil changed after a few thousand miles in a new car anyway, or is that advice out of date?

Thanks. Fuji White MY13 SD4 Dynamic
gone: Rimini Red MY10 td4_e XS

Post #74957 31st Aug 2010 7:49 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

out of date, modern oils can last the distance , black is normal in a diesel. change if you want but oil is expensive , how long do you intend keeping the car? At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #74962 31st Aug 2010 8:24 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Diesel engine oil does go black very quickly.
If you were to change the oil and let it tick over for a couple of minutes the new oil would be as black.

Changing the oil because it is black on a diesel is a waste of money - especially at £50 or so a gallon for synthetic.
Changing the oil early when running in is not necessary (according to LR) but will certainly do no harm.
Changing the oil if you think there has been a viscosity change on any engine is always a good move in my book. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #74985 31st Aug 2010 10:53 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Taking away slightly from the original question, but why all of a sudden does the Freelander not need an oil change after 1000miles? Because iit's been common practice since the car started pretty much and still is on many vehicles.

The oil must still have the remnants of running in inside it? Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #74998 1st Sep 2010 9:08 am
heatha05

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Dynamic Auto Fuji White

Thanks guys. I won't worry about it being black then. Fuji White MY13 SD4 Dynamic
gone: Rimini Red MY10 td4_e XS

Post #75014 1st Sep 2010 11:58 am
Past master

United Kingdom 

Big Dave wrote:
Taking away slightly from the original question, but why all of a sudden does the Freelander not need an oil change after 1000miles? Because iit's been common practice since the car started pretty much and still is on many vehicles.

The oil must still have the remnants of running in inside it?

I think I've read on here somewhere that all Ford engines are run-in at the factory. Mind you I could be hallucinating.

Post #75078 1st Sep 2010 10:06 pm
Missing Link

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Zermatt Silver

Modern manufacturing techniques, new technologies etc means that the running in process is much less significant. In particular the bedding in of piston rings to bores produces far less debris compared to years ago as this was the predominant source of the oil contaminants. This along with significant improvements in filters means that many manufacturers no longer specify early oil changes or even detailed running in procedures.

That being said the AA and most engineers would recommend care during the early stages as this would prolong engine life. I would prefer to do an oil and filter change as an ideal but as most new car buyers will not keep them for the life of the vehicle no one would bother.

My very 1st brand new vehicle was in fact a motorcycle and it had little running in requirements from the manufacturer. However I followed the classic process myself and when I finally had to rebuild it the bores were as fine as glass and it had virtually no rings left yet it was till running well. Prog rock is cool! Smile
2012 XS SD4 Indus Silver

Post #75140 2nd Sep 2010 11:16 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

All sounds a bit overoptimistic to me about how much/little damage incorrect running in does.

I got a Triumph Speed Triple new 2 years ago and that had a very rigorous running in schedule with 5 diffferent limits to follow for the first 1000 miles, with an oil and filter change at the end! Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #75418 7th Sep 2010 5:32 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1