« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Boot Size
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
davew

Boot Size

Hello

I'm currently looking at replacing my current car and the Freelander 2 is on my shortlist. I'm trying to compare the boot space in the cars I'm looking at but LR seem to use a different system to everyone else. Does anyone know what the boot size is upto window height/load cover? (I presume the 755L quoted by LR is upto the roof)

Thanks for any help.

Post #75181 3rd Sep 2010 3:38 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

its a good point, according to my brochure they are floor to roof and with/without seats up for the volume, no mention of upto the load cover

I got a cargo barrier to prevent the loads landing on my kids head and giving me full capacity Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #75183 3rd Sep 2010 3:43 pm
phil_wkl

Australia 

As a very rough guess, I would go with half, 375-ish Phil

Post #75184 3rd Sep 2010 3:50 pm
davew

phil_wkl wrote:
As a very rough guess, I would go with half, 375-ish

That's the impression I got by looking at it, but it's hard to judge these things visually.

I'd be buying this as a family car (camping trips etc), can anyone comment on how well the boot copes with this sort of usage. It's the main areas of concern that I have with the Freelander (I'm moving on from a saloon with 450L).

Thanks again.

Post #75186 3rd Sep 2010 4:05 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

if your planning on getting it all in the boot, back seats up, I would say youll struggle to keep it below the rear seats.

Placing a large holdall, one quinny zapp, a freezer bag full of food, baby change bag, couple of standard bags full of kids toys and my boot is just above the rear seats, and thats me going away towing a caravan,

so i don't have to try get in a tent, chairs etc for camping

If you need to get everything in the boot, you'll have to look towards a cargo barrier or atleast a roofbox Sad Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #75190 3rd Sep 2010 4:51 pm
rmbillington

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Also agree, if I didn't have a cargo barrier, I'd struggle to get every thing in.

The boot itself is only big if you use the full height, otherwise it isn't massive, been considering a change as with pushchair etc. in the boot, you fill it.

Just check it I guess, and buy a cargo barrier if going on big holidays.

Rich

Post #75192 3rd Sep 2010 4:57 pm
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

Two of us going on a weeks holiday in a white 'static' box and we still manage to fill the boot up high enough so I can still see out the rear view mirror, back seat full and rear footwells full. On the plus side when I went away in my BMW 3 series I usually had to leave something behind. (but she kept complaining hence I bought the FL2!) Whistle Now - 2017 BMW X3 M Sport Carbon Black
Gone - 2014 BMW X3 M Sport Space Grey, faultless!
Gone - 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Bali Blue with xenons
Gone - 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Rimini Red with bodykit

Post #75194 3rd Sep 2010 5:11 pm
proplus

Taking the width and depth dimensions from LR website, and just roughly measured the height of the back seats:

0.915 x 1.245 x 0.455 = 0.5183246m2

= 518L

(I hope the maths and the conversion is correct and I had the height of the rear seats at approx 45.5cm)

Take into consideration that the boot starts to narrow from the height of the back seats to the roof.

Post #75196 3rd Sep 2010 6:20 pm
proplus

When I was looking at a new car, I had dismissed the LR2 for I thought it was on the small size (and thus the boot wouldn't be all that big) but was surprised when I went to a dealer and had a look at one up close. At the time I was opting for either an estate or 4x4 for the boot space. With most estates, unless you opt for a big model (ie BMW 5 series) then the boot is still small as the pillars narrow to the roof.

Post #75197 3rd Sep 2010 6:26 pm
ttc546

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

At the time I bought the FL2, the boot size wasn't an issue. I knew it was smaller than the competition but didn't have an over-riding need. Now I do have a need for more boot space and it is so somewhat lacking that I am looking at alternatives to buy for the end of this year.

I find it difficult to compare like for like using manufacturers quoted numbers as I am not sure by what exotic calculation they use. Boot space is not a simple calc of muliplying height by depth by width, as sloping back seats, wheel arches etc all impact dimensions and the REAL USEABLE space.

The FL2 boot space is small in comparison to the main competition.

All I can say is, if boot space is a criteria, buy an estate (XC90, Mondeo etc) - as I will be doing later this year. Chris

Post #75198 3rd Sep 2010 6:57 pm
mojo

2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Stornoway Grey

Not fantastic boot space as it is not that deep so stuff our A4 estate will eat for breakfast the FL2 has trouble with. If boot space + 4wd is your thing, go for an Audi A6 Quattro Estate as they have a massive boot. We would have bought one when we got the A4 but it was too big to park in our street at the time. Either that or buy a big roof box.

Post #75202 3rd Sep 2010 8:42 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1