« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > A few questions, never had a 4x4 before
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Blue

United Kingdom 
A few questions, never had a 4x4 before

Hi all, I'm not in the market yet as I need to pay my Z4 off before I can go splashing cash on a new toy, but some videos of the Freelander 2 going off road caught my eye on You Tube so I thought I'd do my research early Very Happy

I'm curious about what type of tyres I would need (I have two sets for the Z4, winter and summer), as the Freelander would rarely be taken out in the sun (I'm thinking wet weather use mainly) I think I'd be happy to chance an all season like the Nokian WRG2 but would this allow me to play with the car off road at all? Ideally I want one set of tyres that can be used all year round and also allow some mud and wading use too.

I've never taken a car off road so really don't think I'd be doing much heavy duty stuff with it, but there's no point owning a car like this if I don't play now and again, to those of you that go charging up muddy hills and wading through rivers, what sort of tyres are you using when you do this?

Also, where do you guys take the cars to get them dirty? (without paying ideally!) Are there nice places to go spend the day that involve a good off-road session to get there?

Thanks in advance! Blue

Post #74481 22nd Aug 2010 10:44 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Hi and welcome.

I am no tyre expert but I think the ones on my car are goodyear wranglers all weather. There will be ones for specific applications on various websites.

As for off roading, check out the below link:

http://www.trailwise.org.uk/ LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #74482 22nd Aug 2010 11:53 pm
Blue

United Kingdom 

Spot on thanks, will check it out! The more digging I do the more I think that:-
a) The Wranglers may be one of the better tyres
b) Before I commit to anything like this I'm booking a Land Rover Experience day!! Very Happy Blue

Post #74483 23rd Aug 2010 12:11 am
mini-eggs

Wales 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Bali Blue

It be worth doing a session at one of the Land Rover Experience centres, you'll really get to see what these cars are capable of with standard tyres.

I wouldn't worry too much about tyres, the BIG question is, what colour freelander you want

Post #74485 23rd Aug 2010 8:08 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

And don't ruin it with a towbar Evil or Very Mad At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #74486 23rd Aug 2010 10:20 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

normally the FL2 comes with M+S (mud/snow) tyres on so i would worry too much about the snow side of things like you would in a Z4.

Obviously a 2nd set of snow tyres wouldn't be a bad idea if we get another winter like last year, but I found my 19" conti UHP were fine for what i needed

Maybe consider a 2nd set with some deep tread AT tyres so when your off playing in the mud you will be not ripping your road tyres or scratching your road wheels on the rocks etc

There are plenty of greenlanes out there, if your wanting off road days on these you'll be wise to join the relevant websites showing whether these are closed or temp closed for repairs or open etc and looking into having a second car going with you as you will be Censored if you get stuck on your own Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #74488 23rd Aug 2010 10:45 am
W.D.C.A.P.H.

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Stornoway Grey

By the sounds of what you want to do, the standard tyres that come with your car should be fine for what you need. Once you get used to off-road, then make up your mind if you want to fit some 'more serious' tyres.

Don't forget, if it says Land Rover on it, it'll be expensive, so no point in thinking about spending extra cash before you need to. Confused We Don't Care About Pot Holes !!

Post #74490 23rd Aug 2010 12:04 pm
Blue

United Kingdom 

The M+S tyres sound like they'll be fine for what I want then thanks.

Mini-eggs, I was just thinking the same thing about the LRE day, think I'll put one on my santa list, I think it would be a huge amount of fun for non-owner and a good way to figure out if I really want one of these full time! I'm gonna keep my eye out for any local meets, if any are close enough I may gatecrash too! Wink

Silly noob question here, but is a greenlane just an unpaved road? As you can imagine it's not somthing that I've ever hunted out in the Z4!!

Of course this whole plan depends on me being able to insure both cars at the same time, I certainly ain't giving up my softtop fun, I'm after having the best of both worlds!! Very Happy Blue

Post #74511 23rd Aug 2010 7:05 pm
Blue

United Kingdom 

Oh god, I've been Googling all night and think I may have just found myself a very expensive hobby!

I now know what Greenlaning is, can't wait to give it a try now! There doesn't seem to be much chatter about any Greenlanes in the North East or up in Northumberland, is it devoid of them? Blue

Post #74517 23rd Aug 2010 8:48 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Blue wrote:
Oh god, I've been Googling all night and think I may have just found myself a very expensive hobby!

I now know what Greenlaning is, can't wait to give it a try now! There doesn't seem to be much chatter about any Greenlanes in the North East or up in Northumberland, is it devoid of them?

There are certainly a few. Look for the BOATS (row of green crosses) on your OS map. There are also "county roads" - shown white on the OS map, but the map doesn't tell you whether there is a right of way (lots of other tracks, like people's private drives, are shown the same way!). Up there, and on the North York Moors, they are usually old drove roads. Unfortunately the cross-border routes in the pennines seem to be off limits now. I would stress what others have said though - join a club. They will know the routes, organise events, show you how to drive safely, legally and with consideration for others, and above all, tow you out when you get stuck!

Post #74523 23rd Aug 2010 10:31 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Contact Flinty99 he does a day round Keilder Forest

His on Disco3 mainly (he Drives a Orange D3 G4 Spec) the D3 lot also arrange a fair few play days and events Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #74524 23rd Aug 2010 10:33 pm
Blue

United Kingdom 

Keilder sounds good, haven't been up there in years but vaguely remember driving somewhere into Kielder when I was much younger, I can't think of where we were but I do remember that my dad's 3 Series got us so far before he said we had to get out and walk as it was going no further so there must be some good muddy stuff Very Happy Blue

Post #74526 23rd Aug 2010 11:02 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1