« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Idiotic tailgater x2
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
The Doctor

United Kingdom 
Idiotic tailgater x2

There was a fat bloke in a vectra trying to intimidate me the other day by tailgating. I laughed at his attempts. He got too close and realised he could not see anything. One tiny press of the brake pedal and he needed a clean pair of pants. The other occurence was a BMW 1 series who tailgated for ages and then when the lanes merged, he tried to muscle me out of the way by cutting quickly down the inside....

He tried and tried and tried but frankly...........he failed! Rolling with laughter

We are not driving sports cars here, anyone else suffered from tailgating? LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #74431 21st Aug 2010 9:07 pm
alex_pescaru

I don't want to patronize you, but do you have any idea what means to be bumped in either of the back sides at speed?
Don't play this way ever again!!!! I mean breaking in front of somebody at speed.
Even a slight touch from the rear could make you loose control of the car and in the worst case even roll you over! It's a technique used by law enforcements for ages to stop cars...

Post #74432 21st Aug 2010 9:22 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

I ignore such fools.
It's even more foolish to take the bait.

Post #74433 21st Aug 2010 9:43 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Do not panic!!! I did not press the pedal enough to actually apply braking just enough to light up the brake lights. Just right to make him panic without driving dangerously. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #74434 21st Aug 2010 9:44 pm
GWO

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Quote:

Do not panic!!! I did not press the pedal enough to actually apply braking just enough to light up the brake lights. Just right to make him panic without driving dangerously

The car following then brakes suddenly thinking that you have braked, then the cars following him also brake each more sharply. At best you could cause a traffic to slow, at worst you cause an accident.

Don't play with these tailgaiters, your actions are more likely to cause road rage, just let them pass and preserve your life and sanity. Second Freelander 2, first time ever that I have replaced like for like.

Post #74436 21st Aug 2010 9:53 pm
Junior

England 

GWO wrote:
Quote:

Do not panic!!! I did not press the pedal enough to actually apply braking just enough to light up the brake lights. Just right to make him panic without driving dangerously

The car following then brakes suddenly thinking that you have braked, then the cars following him also brake each more sharply. At best you could cause a traffic to slow, at worst you cause an accident.

Don't play with these tailgaiters, your actions are more likely to cause road rage, just let them pass and preserve your life and sanity.

F*ck that!! jam ya anchors on and let the tosser see the underside of a freelander Whistle
hopefully he'll still be dazed when ya punching his lights out Thumbs Up

Post #74438 21st Aug 2010 10:21 pm
wingit

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

I love the way this thread goes from:
"No, no, don't do it you might cause an accident"

to

"Slam the anchors on and let him see the underside of a Freely"

Rolling with laughter

Post #74447 22nd Aug 2010 10:50 am
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

GWO wrote:
Quote:

Don't play with these tailgaiters, your actions are more likely to cause road rage, just let them pass and preserve your life and sanity.

I agree but it easier said than done!! (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #74448 22nd Aug 2010 11:40 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
cambrai

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e Sport Manual Lago Grey

I had exactly the same issue going to the West Country on Friday evening. A VW Touran with single male passenger, red baseball cap and rip curl tshirt (yes he was that close).

I kind of gave him a lesson, each time he came up close and started doing the pull over as far right as possible trick to try and intimidate me, i just eased off the accelerator, when he dropped back then i resumed normal speed again, after what must have been 10 minutes he like a little child, realised cause and effect and promptly adjusted his driving pattern.

Should i have pulled over and let him pass? Perhaps, but when the car in front had a family inside, i decided not.

For all the fanfare on Cash cameras and how many lives they may or may not save, you cant beat a traffic police car to change dangerous driving habits (maybe mine but i wont be intimidated by clowns). Sport LE Lago Grey

Post #74450 22nd Aug 2010 12:26 pm
Nigel

Never ignore them! I reckon that a following distance of anything less than 2 seconds (in the dry and longer in wet) is tailgating. I slow down as soon there are safe places for for tailgaters to overtake and let them get out of my life. There are a lot of them about and it's a road safety topic which does not get the attention which it deserves.

Post #74454 22nd Aug 2010 1:31 pm
sam7

I personally feel the only safe thing to do is slow down - carefully. I have been hit twice in the rear and its not nice (both times passenger).

Post #74478 22nd Aug 2010 9:30 pm
druand

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Fuji White

On my previous car (Honda CRV) rear park sensors were not reverse gear switched.
I was in outside lane overtaking 4 or 5 lorries at about 70-75 mph nice and safely when warning bleeper sounded, immediately looked at dash for warning light, nothing seen, then realised WHITE VAN MAN so close he was setting off reverse sensors. All FL2's (3) Gone
2011 Mercedes C180 CGI Gone
FL2 GS Auto SD with heated leather, factory tints, alloy spare and a few other bits.

Post #74489 23rd Aug 2010 11:39 am
xtattsbox

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Not really tailgating, but left the supermarket at lunchtime, glanced in the Rear View mirror at the traffic lights and noticed some stupid tart looking down and texting whilst rolling up towards the back of my car. Drove off, 30 mph speed limit and she and I were doing thirty, the road was clear in front of me, but she was looking down for 3-4 secs a time, typing her friggin' text....

Seriously makes my blood boil... Hi Darling, I'll be home in 10 mins. If I'm not back, please read this message again...

Post #74492 23rd Aug 2010 1:30 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

driving back from West Ayton yesterday, with another FL2 in front of me (Hi, if your reading Laughing ) there was a Merc A150 in the outside land, never pulling in to allow others past, plodding along at the speed limit

Plenty of times he could have pulled in, not needing to slow and then pulled back out when we had got past

Eventally the black FL2 pulled over to pull off te A64 and i took up the rearview mirror of the A-Class only when i got to the uphill section before it joins the A1_M1 link did i pull in and undertake due to me needing to take said junction and it was still 500yrd before the Merc pulled over even though there was nothing in either lane infront of him Rolling Eyes

Nice run home though, caravanless (back up next week to collect the c'van) and my cars a newfound lack of thirst got me 32.mpg at a little over the limit Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #74496 23rd Aug 2010 2:21 pm
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

As bad as the Censored on the motorway who tailgate are those who rush up behind, overtake just as you are getting to an off ramp and as soon as they are passed pull back in across 2 lanes and about 10 feet in front of you and rush up the offramp...........................

I had the tailgate saga this weekend while driving on the M9 in my Defender 90, only the car tailgating was a Tambora Flame F2 towing a twin axle caravan. Now I was doing over 75 so in a 300 tdi Defender I don't have a lot more steam left, but this idiot had a kid in the front seat, not in a kiddy seat, with it's feet up on the dash, towing a caravan that I'm sure was too large even for a F2 and he's trying to push me up the motorway..................... thankfully the driver of the car I was overtaking saw what was happening and slowed right down to let me pull in before Freelander man wrecked his car on my rear cross member - not all Freelander2 drivers are kind and considerate and some are just plain stupid! Oh and there was a Freel2 sticker on the back of the caravan.............. so it was somebody on here, maybe he was wanting inspect the Freel2/RRSport.co.uk and Disco3.co.uk stickers on my spare wheel cover. How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 23rd Aug 2010 7:51 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #74499 23rd Aug 2010 3:26 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>