Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > JLR to assemble vehicles in China
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
AndyT

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

It seems that the UK is suffering the consequence of its industrial history. For so long, it was an innovator and a leader but in the 70s it developed a 'tea break', 'all out brothers' attitude which stifled development and , from which, it never recovered. Then Germany took the initiative to take up the slack and become the automotive leader that the UK could have been.
Then the far east offered budget vehicles that were more reliable and cheaper than ours and that was pretty much the end of mainstream UK motor manufacturing. All that remains are those bailed out by foreign/competitor investment and a few niche low volume producers.
All ruined by a combination of unions and Thatcher - I find it internationally embarrassing.

Post #69619 31st May 2010 9:41 am
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

AndyT wrote:
It seems that the UK is suffering the consequence of its industrial history. For so long, it was an innovator and a leader but in the 70s it developed a 'tea break', 'all out brothers' attitude which stifled development and , from which, it never recovered. Then Germany took the initiative to take up the slack and become the automotive leader that the UK could have been.
Then the far east offered budget vehicles that were more reliable and cheaper than ours and that was pretty much the end of mainstream UK motor manufacturing. All that remains are those bailed out by foreign/competitor investment and a few niche low volume producers.
All ruined by a combination of unions and Thatcher - I find it internationally embarrassing.

True indeed though don't neccessarially blame Mrs Thatcher as whoever was in then probably would have done the same, just look at the record of the last lot we have just got rid of!!

As for being internationally embarrassed - I agree, the others must laugh at us Great Britain or not so Great! (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #69621 31st May 2010 12:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bill Turner

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Santorini Black
Re: China production.

Lr2maker wrote:
Few years away. For the Chinese market only to save on import tax etc. Will use old fl2 equip. We will be on lr3 by then. X type press dies gone to india. Old british cars are still "new" over there. Selling sh**loads over there helps the uk ops. Some manfs do it why not us?

Exactly the point made in the JLR press release. OK they will eventually import models if the British Manufacturing units to not maintain quality standards.

In my opinion JLR should be taking a long hard look at the Dealership network, as with a very few notable exptions they are all very poor in all departmants.

Bill Turner Life Honorary Member of Wallasey Motor Club.
Licenced MSA Radio Operator for 35+ years.
Rallying is the only sport.

Post #69630 31st May 2010 5:04 pm
Natwest

United Kingdom 

UK-spec honda jazz is now Chinese made. The initial batch were Europe-only (first 3-4 months of production) then after nothing major fell off, the UK got the go-ahead to receive them too.

Vehicle manufs in China

Ford
Citroen
Peugeot
VW
Honda
Nissan
GM
BMW
Dongfeng-rubber-duck company
Lotus
etcetcetcetcetc

As LR2m says - why get upset if JLR do it? Question

All are joint-ventures as the Chinese govt. need to have a stake in it somewhere

PS: Ok, I was joking about Lotus, they used to build in Malaysia (possible still do?).

Post #69957 4th Jun 2010 6:08 pm
tonka

United Kingdom 

I always thought that Lotus were built buy muppets in Disney world Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter If I had all the money I spent on Beer!, I'd spend it on Beer!.

Post #69977 4th Jun 2010 7:17 pm
Junior

England 

Thats all we need a flood of fake FREELANDERS from china Laughing

Post #70004 5th Jun 2010 12:23 am
Natwest

United Kingdom 

I doubt that UK / Euro will see Chinese-assembled FL2 as these will likely be destined for China due to importation tax benefit and other SE Asia markets and that they would be incremental to UK production (i.e. no loss of volume from Halewood). Also, I wouldn't be suprised to see FL2 in other markets that have taxation benefits for KD / locally produced vehicles...

Remember LR have been doing KD for years so this wouldn't be anything new (South Africa, Thailand, Turkey etc) so don't get too stressed about it!

Post #70050 6th Jun 2010 8:51 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12