Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > iphone/ipod connection module
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
redlabel

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

How the hell could I go and buy me a new iPod Touch without reading this first!! I am shocked that LR isn't capable to make a solution so that the touchscreen can be used. Big Cry

Post #69407 27th May 2010 8:01 pm
markle

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Help! Am having trouble getting a straight answer out of my local dealer. As reading through the forums gave me lots of useful info before buying landrover no.3 I hoped somebody could clarify the functions of the audio connectivity module. I rang my local dealer for a quote (379 inc VAT and fitting). I then asked if it would display track info etc on the radio. There was a long delay whilst they were thinking about this and then I was told that nothing appears on the head unit display. However that conflicts a bit with some of the info on this thread. Can anybody clarify what this unit does? In particular if I part with my cash will I be able to see the playlist or song being played or do you have to navigate "blind" - strikes me as that for that price this unit really ought to be up to doing a decent job. Any feedback much appreciated.

Post #69410 27th May 2010 9:13 pm
carvalho

Portugal 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Hi markle,

With my setup (2007 FL2 HSE with Alpine Dolby Prologic + iPod 4G + iPhone 3G) the iPod is managed by controls on the steering wheel but nothing appears on the radio display. And nothing appears on the satnav.
It's very frustrating because the iPod is hidden in the glove box and I can even guess what playlist I'm listening and what song/artist is played (off course I know what's playing but nothing shows anywhere).

Regards. 2007' Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Tambora Flame

Post #69418 27th May 2010 11:45 pm
TL92

United States 2010 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Can someone clarify if the AUX port is still functional after the ipod module is installed? I read somewhere, maybe in this thread, that the AUX port does not work after installation.

Also if anyone is using the module with an iphone or ipod touch, do you still have control over the iphone/ipod's screen/music controls when using the module or does the iphone/ipod say external accessory connected where it would have to be controlled from an external source like via the nav screen for example in the LR4/disco? Thanks. 2010 LR2, Stornoway Grey, HSE Lux

Post #69955 4th Jun 2010 5:59 pm
TL92

United States 2010 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Anyone? 2010 LR2, Stornoway Grey, HSE Lux

Post #70696 15th Jun 2010 5:27 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

As far as I know the aux socket would work

Mine doesn't as it's got a kensington iPod lead plugged into it under the rear console and a fake (as in not connected) socket in it's place Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #70697 15th Jun 2010 5:35 pm
mork

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Zermatt Silver

Hi TL 92

I have fitted this to my MY10 HSE, the unit in the glove box supports a USB thumb drive, L/R Audio and has a by-pass switch. In the "on" position the feed is from and to the iPod in the "off" it allows for the AUX input. It does work with the iPhone (I have a 3G version) and iTouch (2Gen). I get the message that the iPhone accessory is not supported if on the "on" position. Also the iPhone starts to play music even when audio feed is not selected on the head unit (aka its the Radio) at power on.

Other than that it work fines, I have a iPhone brodit feedthrough mount so can see the phone and audio tracks without an issue... also have its touch screen to control so not bothered about it working from SatNav screen.

Have a look at my gallery for the install process took about 2hrs from start to all set-up.

Post #70794 17th Jun 2010 5:25 pm
markle

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

For anybody else looking at this solution here is my summary. This unit is useless unless you have a setup where you have an ipod touch or iphone mounted on the dash. I spoke to my local dealer to clarify whether the most recent units did display track info on the radio screen. They didn't know but they suggested I rang Landrover which I did. The first reply I had was useless with no offer to investigate further - the person simply didn't know nor was he going to bother to find out for me! Second attempt a couple of days later they said yes it does display track info. So with my quote of £400+ I had the unit fitted. A complete disaster. Firstly the glovebox lid was not shutting properly and rattled like anything. Secondly only "Aux" appeared on the display. But worse of all is the lack of functionality of the unit and the dumb way it "works". Once the unit is playing it continues to play even if you switch the radio to another source, second when you use the "track up" or "track down" steering wheel controls to control the telephone, CD or radio the ipod still changes tracks! The result of this is make a phone call or skip thro a CD a bit and you completely lose the place in you playlist - all this for £400 plus! I complained to the dealer who tried quite hard to blame landrover and suggested I took it up with them as they were the ones that mislead me into having the unit fitted. I pointed out that it was on their advice that I rang the l'rover "customer service" in the first place so they were at best jointly liable. I spoke to landrover customer service and they refused point blank to help - I was furious. Eventually the dealer (Stratstone MiltonKeynes) decided to act untilaterally, picked the car up, removed the unit, refitted the glovebox lid and gave me my money back. I'm posting this so everybody researching this unit knows the situation without sharing my frustrations. I'm now having a Parrot MK9200 fitted instead wired to the aux in which gives a decent track/playlist display and simply controls. Not ideal but the best option I can find.

Post #74648 25th Aug 2010 9:15 pm
Missing Link

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Zermatt Silver

Seems to me the sort of prices being quoted for the option are close to ripping out the entire system and fitting an aftermarket head unit.

I know LR are slow at times but there are so many better solutions available. Prog rock is cool! Smile
2012 XS SD4 Indus Silver

Post #74653 25th Aug 2010 10:33 pm
Mr Moo

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

OK, so it's a rather basic solution, but I bought a £3 lead from a well known auction site and it seems to work fine. Ours is an '07 XS, so has the subwoofer, but not the full blown Dolby Pro Logic gubbins of the HSE. Lead is 3.5mm at one end (to fit in the Aux socket) and long and flat at the other end (sort of multi pin thingy) to fit into the base of the iPod. This is an improvement on a 3.5mm to 3.5mm lead, as it means that you get a 'line out' (think that's the right term?!) from the iPod and don't have to adjust the volume on the iPod itself.

You still don't get any track listings on the screen of the stereo and only the volume control works on the steering wheel. The only way of controlling the tracks is via the iPod, but if you set a play list running, you don't have to touch it again. Main disadvantage is that it doesn't charge (you can't expect it to do everything for £3!), but mine sits in a cradle connected to the hi-fi at home, so it gets charged when in there.

For £3, this seems to be to be a cost effective solution. Seems to do most of what the very expensive LR kit will do (excluding charging) for the cost of a pint!

Post #74661 25th Aug 2010 11:43 pm
Missing Link

This

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CHARGER-ADAPTOR-IP...d_sim_ce_6

plus this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/charging-playing-C...y_ce_img_b

Seem to meet the basic requirements, unfortunately without control options. However one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PURE-i-10-Powered-...d_sim_ce_5

And bit of lateral thinkng for the power supply gives a small separate remote control unit. I tend to just use random play anyway but did occaisionally skip on a track. Prog rock is cool! Smile
2012 XS SD4 Indus Silver

Post #74713 26th Aug 2010 7:43 pm
Missing Link

Missing Link wrote:
Seems to me the sort of prices being quoted for the option are close to ripping out the entire system and fitting an aftermarket head unit.

I know LR are slow at times but there are so many better solutions available.

When you see the prices being asked for an addon module (if they are available) It makes this option good value:

http://www.caraudiodiscount.com/product_in...s_id=14564 Prog rock is cool! Smile
2012 XS SD4 Indus Silver

Post #74755 27th Aug 2010 8:23 am
proplus

Mount the iPhone somewhere to the left of the steering wheel (using the vent there) instead of 'standing' mounts that plug into the 12v socket, this way its much more accessible and its only a quick glimpse in the direction where the Satnav/cubby hole is. I think the only problem with vent type of mounts is that ther can't rotate to landscape mode.

I recommend using an app like Car Tunes, which makes controlling the music much easier by either double tapping the screen (pause/play) or swipe left (previous) swipe right (next).

I normally have Trapster running the background of the iPhone to detect any speed cameras nearby, it was either this or fork out for a Snooper 3Zero.

Post #74777 27th Aug 2010 5:08 pm
SPNRACING

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Udash wrote:
Also satnav can initiate a call to a number associated with the POIs or a memory point but I agree its touchscreen should be used more

I tried to do this but couldn't work out how - can add the phone number to the POI easy enough but how do I then dial it with a connected phone? 2010 HSE Auto in Santorini Black/almond with xenons and privacy glass.

Post #74809 28th Aug 2010 9:57 pm
Missing Link

Took apart the stereo to see what I have to work with. 1stly this cr4p about "Alpine" is pure marketing, it is FoMoCo entirely.

There are two modules, the front panel and the CD player. The front panel has an extension on the lower edge with two connectors. One of these connectors is a little odd as it appears to have only two cables, both orange and there is a similar one on the CD player. I then realised that it is actually a short piece of fibre optic cable linking the two units together in simplex mode.

The second cable on the front panel has 6 cables although the plug has more pins, my best guess is these are the Aux in and the steering control input. Possibly the spare pins would be used for addons such as iPod

The CD module has the optic cable, a loom connector and the aerial plug. It is essentially a single din cd palyer with some form of extension board on the bottom. The loom is primarily the power, CAN bus and amp output. There are many missing components from the PCB and at least two sockets not fitted. I can only presume this has something to do with the lack of DAB.

This design severely restricts the options of upgrading the unit to support Ipod properly, a new head unit is almost certainly the only option. I don't want to loose the steering controls so there is not much choice. Evil or Very Mad Prog rock is cool! Smile
2012 XS SD4 Indus Silver

Post #74960 31st Aug 2010 8:22 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>