« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Blasphemy??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
paachi

Blasphemy??

Hi Everyone!!

I am a newly minted member..in the market for a Land Rover. I am just graduating from grad school and will be moving to Chicago soon. In my quest for 4x4's I looked at used BMW X5's, 535xi's and Toyota's but the heart yearns for a Land Rover.

I have 3 questions :

1. I have a budget of upto $40K. I love the Range Rover Sport and the full sized Rangie, but in all probability I will get only the base HSE from year 2006/ 2007 for that money. I wont be using the car for off roading at all (maybe 2 - 3 times a year in a trail) but Chicago is a snowy place and I value a good 4x4. On the other hand for that money I can get a brand new LR2 fully loaded. So, used Rangie or brand new LR2??

2. How is the experience of the forum users with the reliability of the LR2. I have done my search and found generally good impressions, still feel compelled to ask this question..

3. Final dark horse question.. I am getting a CPO 2009 LR2 for 10 grand less. Should I go for that or the new one??

Apologies from a noob to start leeching right from post # 1.

Thanks and Regards,
Prashant Kumar.

Post #67385 28th Apr 2010 3:02 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

get the discounted one keep your $10,000, assuming the car is black? if not, order a new black one Thumbs Up At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #67389 28th Apr 2010 8:02 am
Triple7

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

FL2's aren't that popular in the US, so don't know what residuals are like? Range Rovers are cheap on the used market because they cost a lot to maintain. I'd be happier with a 3 year warranty on a FL2 HSE, go for the discounted model and enjoy..... 2010MY Freelander 2 HSE Auto
Santorini Black with Ebony Napoli Leather

Post #67391 28th Apr 2010 8:46 am
Simon CSK

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Rimini Red

I think it depends on how long you intend to keep the car. I would love a RR sport but equally if I had the money I would buy more than one of each anyway as I already have a Classic Range Rover.

I have been happy with my FL2 Bow down over the 2.5 years I have had it. It has done 25000 miles and no complaints. This is my third Freelander and they have now got it right I feel.

If you are keeping a long time i.e. more than 3 years go for the new model and spec it the way you want it not what you can get off the peg. Thumbs Up

Post #67396 28th Apr 2010 9:41 am
paachi

Thanks a lot for the reply guys. I went over to the Land Rover showroom here today and test drove a LR2 and a Range Rover Sport. The RRS is a beast and I dont know if I need that much of a car yet. I loved the LR2. Its sporty and nippy enough for my requirements. The engine is a little raucous but I guess after years of Japanese cars, I need to get used to the engine note of European cars.

However, what struck me was the amount of roll in the LR2. I have never driven SUVs extensively before (infact the only crossovers I have driven are Lexus RX330 and Ford Escape) and maybe its a thing I need to get used to for SUV's. I would love to hear comments about the overall handling of the LR2 especially from guys who have the LR2 and a European sedan/ coupe.

Thanks once again.

Best,
PK.

Post #67459 28th Apr 2010 10:59 pm
ttc546

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I had a Porsche Boxster and then a Cayman before the LR2 - so coming from a car that just keeps flat in a high speed corner, going to an FL2 was somewhat of a change. I drive the FL2 in corners like I used to drive the Porker, just somewhat slower. Yes, it rolls a bit, but then so do all cars of this type - my wifes Lexus RX was really bad! But the FL2 is just fine on this aspect. Chris

Post #67474 29th Apr 2010 7:55 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1