Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Full Time 4x4 or not?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
QUERCUS

2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Full Time 4x4 or not?

Is the Freelander 2 really a full-time 4x4? My understanding is that it starts 4x4 and then goes to front-wheel drive if there is enough grip. Also, does different Terrain Response modes make it a more full-time 4x4? And finally, what are the front-to-rear-drive ratios on the different modes? 2007 Freelander 2 HSE i6
stornoway grey
black leather

Post #6119 4th Sep 2007 10:57 am
boiledgnat

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I seem to recall from my LRE day, that a minimum of 15% of power is always to the back, and this changes with the terrain response setting Question

Post #6124 4th Sep 2007 11:31 am
boiledgnat

Just read on the WhatCar review of the FL2, that at least 3% of power is sent to the back. (this seems to make more sense!)

Post #6127 4th Sep 2007 12:17 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

boiledgnat wrote:
Just read on the WhatCar review of the FL2, that at least 3% of power is sent to the back. (this seems to make more sense!)

I've seen figures of 3% and 5% quoted. Whatever the figure is, it is this feature that allows the FL2 to be called a permenant four wheel drive.

Post #6130 4th Sep 2007 12:56 pm
Gambba

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I've just asked the technical guys at Haldex to answer all of our questions with a brief explanation of how the system works at start up and during driving etc. so we'll see what they come back with.

Gambba.

Post #6132 4th Sep 2007 1:58 pm
NightFox

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

3% minimum at the back was also my understanding, think I got that from the LRE guys.

Post #6156 4th Sep 2007 7:19 pm
Gambba

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Hats off to Haldex and a guy by the name of Mats (Who drives an LR2 and was involved in the project) for coming back so quickly on my question.

My question:

Quote:
I was looking for a brief overview of exactly how the Land Rover Freelander 2 (LR2) Haldex system operates on the vehicle i.e. start-up process, standard front rear power split etc.. Some magazines and information say that the standard (lowest) amount of power sent to the rear wheels is 3% or 5% depending on source of information. I was hoping for some information that I could share with fellow car enthusiasts on a Freelander 2 forum www.freel2.com.

The response:
Quote:
The Haldex system use several CAN (controller area network) signals from the vehicle to operate such as accelerator, brake pedal, wheel speed, engine speed, engine torque, gear position, lateral acceleration, yaw rate etc. The signals are read every 20ms and processed in the Haldex ecu and from that the ecu decide what the proper torque transfer from the front to rear should be.

When the vehicle is powered up the haldex system will activate a feeder pump and close the valves to build up a base pressure for instant traction. The system will then wait for the signal from the engine speed to show a value higher then 400 rpm before it is ready to transfer any torque, this to allow you to perform two wheel tows etc. But as soon as the signals are there the system will be ready to give an immediate 500 Nm torque transfer until the system tells it otherwise (that is higher or lower torque).

It is unfortunately impossible to say what the standard torque level is since this is completely dependant on what surface are you driving on, what speed, what angle of your steering wheel etc, the computer in the haldex will take all this in consideration each time and from that select the torque level.

What the magazines are talking about is the dragtorque, the torque that will always be there due to the energy used to turn the coupling, differential etc and that will be around 3-5 Nm.

Mats of Haldex has a presentation that he made for the system used on the LR2 that will better describe the systm, but needs to slim it down a bit and then will arrange for me to download it from their FTP site, which then I guess I can upload it into the gallery? or ask Martin to sort something out for it.

Bow down to Haldex (and Mats).

Last edited by Gambba on 5th Sep 2007 9:11 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #6193 5th Sep 2007 8:30 am
defkalion

Greece 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Well done Gambba, and Mats of course. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Thanks for the beautiful details and scientific description! Thumbs Up Razz
I wish I could get such details about some other FL2 systems, as the Auto box and the 'spooky' a/c humidity sensor (which I have no clue how or when it works). Actually trusting my FL2 I never put the A/c on recycling the air, expecting that when a big truck spits 500gr/km of CO2 and particles on me, the polution/humidity sensor does it for me automatically. I then visit my clients with an inch of carbon on my face. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #6194 5th Sep 2007 8:45 am
boiledgnat

An excellent bit of research. Looking forward to seeing the additional stuff when it comes through.

Post #6195 5th Sep 2007 8:59 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1