« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Cleanliness is next to Godliness
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey
Cleanliness is next to Godliness

What is it about Freelanders - just a short journey on dampish roads and the car is filthy. Never had to clean a car as often as this. Owned a Merc once that was a similar colour to Lago grey but that stayed cleaner than my Freelander.

My wife thinks I am developing an Obsessive Compulsive Disorder in continually cleaning the beast. Of to Focus to purchase a new hosepipe with self winding mechanism - how sad is that.

Tenet MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #60960 23rd Feb 2010 3:07 pm
Carnoch

I do the same, but with a Disco and a FL2 in black. I am sure I have OCD.

Get the metal hozelock pipe carrier, 75-80 pounds , some new hose, metal spray head. Did the trick for me.

That said, it's minus 5 here, so hoze pipes are out today. I did wash with warm water and a backet the other day, but takes so long and the water freezes on contact with the cold metal.

Post #60962 23rd Feb 2010 3:16 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

i have found the white looks ok, but after a few days of no washing it looks dreadfull

I have however, given the car a really good wash, and put a coat of a wax on it and due to the water beading off the car it appears to be staying that little bit cleaner for that little bit longer

I wish i had done this prior to winter though, instead of waiting till spring Embarassed

it will all be stripped off and machine polish come nice weather time so until then it will just have to do

Nick

PS White shows up tar spot like no other car i have had, and Im still trying to work out why i get tar in winter when the roads are frozen Evil or Very Mad Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #60963 23rd Feb 2010 3:17 pm
Carnoch

black is bad too. I think silver takes the prize for being dirty, but looking okay.

Post #60966 23rd Feb 2010 4:11 pm
Bopper

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

My last car was a dark blue VW Touran and that was murder to keep clean, that's why I went for the Stornaway

Post #60968 23rd Feb 2010 4:27 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

i liked my stornoway one, depth of the paint giving a nice glosy look when just polished

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #60970 23rd Feb 2010 4:33 pm
Carnoch

Is that birds crap on the mirror?

Laughing

Post #60974 23rd Feb 2010 4:54 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

not on that one, but it took 30 mins before they left a present on the white one the other weekend

Luckly on the window Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #60975 23rd Feb 2010 4:59 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Ours is Stornoway, but has mud guards so doesn't get clarted up that quick...if you're concerned about how quickly your car gets dirty and you haven't got them, get some put on! Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #60977 23rd Feb 2010 5:03 pm
gilfishman

Wales 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

thats partly the reason i got rid of my black fl2 Big Cry only looked clean after i washed /dry her,soon as it was off the drive it was dirty Evil or Very Mad impanima sand now,much better,saving loade of ££££ on shampoo Thumbs Up

Post #60990 23rd Feb 2010 5:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ad210358

England 

Black is really a showroom colour, most people do like Black cars but in reality you just can't keep them clean. The lighter the colour the longer it looks cleaner.

Post #60991 23rd Feb 2010 6:00 pm
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black
Re: Cleanliness is next to Godliness

tenet wrote:
What is it about Freelanders - just a short journey on dampish roads and the car is filthy. Never had to clean a car as often as this. Owned a Merc once that was a similar colour to Lago grey but that stayed cleaner than my Freelander.

My wife thinks I am developing an Obsessive Compulsive Disorder in continually cleaning the beast. Of to Focus to purchase a new hosepipe with self winding mechanism - how sad is that.

Tenet

Yes I have found that. Mind you I am OTT with cleaning my cars anyway but yes the FL2 seems to get dirty at any excuse.
I generally wash it/rinse it after nearly every outing but then I can't turn up at a customers house in a dirty car. (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #61073 24th Feb 2010 12:27 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

Big Dave wrote:
Ours is Stornoway, but has mud guards so doesn't get clarted up that quick...if you're concerned about how quickly your car gets dirty and you haven't got them, get some put on!

I never allow mine to get dirty enough for that use of mudflaps, I had them fitted to stop stone chips but yes they do reduce the filth! (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #61074 24th Feb 2010 12:29 am
phil_wkl

Australia 

Probably the ride height means the dirt comes up the sides more than a lower car. Phil

Post #61076 24th Feb 2010 12:41 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

phil_wkl wrote:
Probably the ride height means the dirt comes up the sides more than a lower car.

I don’t think it’s the sides that attract the road dirt, at least mine has the rubber side strips and the road dirt mostly stops under these. However it seems that the rear gets more muck thrown up than on a normal touring/estate car. I don’t have rear flaps, but it has been suggested that those do help some. What also surprises is how much dirt gets on the bonnet as being so high I would have thought at least that would keep clean’ish.

Ps – we can’t wash our cars in winter (-14C right now) and ours has two months dirt on it at the moment 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #61078 24th Feb 2010 9:06 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1