« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Auto Headlights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Steve H

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey
Auto Headlights

I'm newly registered so not sure whether this topic has been posted before. Can anyone tell me where the sensor for the auto headlights is situated. I have noticed a tendency for the lights to switch on in what I would class as normal light conditions. Anyone else noticed this?
Had the Freelander 2 for 2 months 2200 miles and so far no problems.

Post #5966 2nd Sep 2007 3:14 pm
wildrover

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 Dynamic Auto Indus Silver

Same with mine, but it appears to be universal with all makes. Chevy Trailblazers and Suburbans do it also, even in bright sunlight just by passing under a canopy such as a fly-over. Out with the old (2007 SE)
In with the new (2012 Dynamic with everything). Now also gone.

Post #5972 2nd Sep 2007 4:39 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

i think the sensor is the thing in the centre of the dashboard near the window, (not the rear view mirror, that the rain sensor)

Post #5974 2nd Sep 2007 4:55 pm
Steve H

npinks thanks I'll check that, I was wondering whether there was an issue with dirt affecting it that was causing the early switch on but it sounds like a common problem. Its not a problem really for me as I have converted from a Volvo S60 which obviously had day running lights permanently on (OK I know you can disable them !).
Experience so far with the Freelander is that it is a far nicer car to drive than the S60 D5 and fuel consumption almost as good (approx 38mpg on mixed town and M Way driving) D3 GS Java Black TDV6 Manual

Post #5975 2nd Sep 2007 6:26 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Steve,

If you've come from a Volvo then perhaps you're OK with lights on all the time. There is an increasing mindset towards manufacturers adopting this. Its a trend in the USA and Europe. Personally, I agree with it and drive on dipped headlights all the time, so the sensitivity of the auto lights is not an issue for me.

Glad to hear your car is trouble free so far, long may that continue. Very Happy

Post #5976 2nd Sep 2007 6:54 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Steve,
I have queried the headlamp sensor with my dealer previously, they have said there is no adjustment that can be made.

I have also queried the length of time they remain on, driving through a tunnel they come on straight away and turn off virtually straight away upon exiting the tunnel, but when the light is bad, like driving through a sudden thunder storm like we have been having, then into bright sunshine 10 minutes later they remained on for 15 minutes in the sun. yes I could have turned them off, but i'm lazy Very Happy

LR service reception said they can determin a tunnel or bad light conditions by the time it takes to go dark, so like a tunnel they know they need to turn off straight away, this is so if you was driving through shadows (under trees etc) you would be 'flashing' the headlamps on and off.

I just think, leave them on automatic and let them do what they want, its easier that way

Post #5979 2nd Sep 2007 7:45 pm
Steve H

Yes I reckon you're right, like you I could turn them off but am lazy. I'll just let them do their own thing, I reckon they are better on than off anyway like Volvos. D3 GS Java Black TDV6 Manual

Post #5982 2nd Sep 2007 8:03 pm
defkalion

Greece 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I remember talking with my dealer about this. He said that the light sensor is behind the rear viewing mirror and it's the same one used for auto sensing the rain (don't ask me why or how Question ). I've got the same problems with mine. They light up long before dark and stay on, except if travelling towards the sun/west which makes them go off, as sun gets straight into the sensor. I wander if this is the same for Disco3 and RRS?

Post #5984 2nd Sep 2007 9:42 pm
nicam

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

I think it is very hard to be objective about how light it actually is. Eyes are fantastic at adapting to the ambient light conditions. I presume that this is why umpires in cricket now use electronic aids to determine what is "bad light".
I have noticed that my auto lights are sometimes on in what I consider good light, but then notice that my FL2 is not alone and many other vehicles of all makes also light up. I suspect that the sensors on the cars are more accurate at determining an absolute light level than your eyes. But then there is some procesing of that signal by the ECU as to the circumstances, i.e. bright to dark (and vice versa) in 1 second - must be a tunnel so quick response on and off. Darkening over minutes - probably it really is dark so switch the lights on and leave them on.
That seems logical to me. Don`t drive faster than your angel can fly!

Post #5997 3rd Sep 2007 11:55 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1