Home > Australia & New Zealand > Sand Driving
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mikehzz

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey
Sand Driving

Hello All.

I've been to Stockton Beach just near Newcastle NSW in the Freelander about 6 times now and thought I would share what I have found out about the FL2. Also, I hope that others might chip in their tips and tricks so I can try them as well.
1. Tyre pressure - 15 to 20 psi depending on how fluffy the sand is.

2. If using sand mode on no load situations (just sort of cruising) then switch to command shift and drive it manually. It stays in first too long while in auto, uses too much fuel and heats up the transmission.

3. For really big loads like racing up the huge dunes at Stockton, back to auto and definately switch off the DSC. The DSC cuts in right when you don't want it to and you are left with no power when you need it most.

4. If you do get stuck, and I have been stuck up to the floor pan, clear the tracks a bit behind the tyres, switch to Mud & Ruts and reverse back. I haven't been bogged since doing that. I got stuck up to the floor a few weeks ago and some guys on the next dune thought I was a goner and needed snatching. By the time they got to me I had already driven out much to their surprise.

5. Don't rev too much when it looks like you are getting stuck or your wheels will end up spinning in mid air...there's no driving out from that position. Your wheels need to still have some ground under them.

The dunes are massive at Stockton and getting up some of them is a real challenge. My FL2 has made it quite easily where some Land Cruisers, Patrols and Pajeros etc have had real trouble, in some cases they have given up after 7-8 attempts.

I hope this helps. Does anyone disagree with any of the comments? Also feel free to add some.

Cheers
Mike

Post #47241 6th Sep 2009 8:45 am
Dorko

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I agree, in sand always use the manual gears and turn off the DSC. The gears are held too long and DSC is a pain in the butt on sand.

Dorko

Post #47242 6th Sep 2009 8:58 am
mikehzz

Have you tried the mud/ruts when you are stuck in heavy stuff? It seems to lock the diff and give high revs with less wheel spin. Has worked a treat for me.

Post #47243 6th Sep 2009 10:05 am
Dorko

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I've tried it a few times, works well as long as you havent bogged it to the belly Laughing

I find as soon as you stop in really soft sand, reverse a bit and then go forward... the amounts of time i have bogged myself by just going forward is embrassing... i learnt this will save you getting the maxtrax out and your mate laughing at you Embarassed

Dorko

Post #47248 6th Sep 2009 1:03 pm
trackman50

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Why did'nt I see this a couple of weeks ago! I Was following a late model Nissan Pathfinder on Morton Island who got stuck near Blue Lakes going in and going out on sand my F2 had easily traversed. With the Nissan blocking the track I tried to back up to an alternate route only to succeed in burying it up to its belly. Do any of the "dial up functions" Banging Head work in reverse? javascript:emoticon('Banging Head') Current other drive 06 Falcon Styleside Ute (very aussie) Recently departed: 08 Touareg 3lt td. Grunty fun but kept losing small cars and families behind the big arse mirrors. Also my wife hated parking it.

Post #59472 14th Feb 2010 12:11 pm
mikehzz

Yes they do. I usually use the mud ruts program for reversing out of soft sand situations as the sand program spins the wheels too easy which just buries you pretty quick.

Post #59473 14th Feb 2010 12:41 pm
Wintermute

Turkey 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey
Re: Sand Driving

mikehzz wrote:

1. Tyre pressure - 15 to 20 psi depending on how fluffy the sand is.

What wheels / tyres you got on yours mate? 2010 Freelander 2 Select TD4 auto....gone
2011 Freelander 2 TD4 auto ...current

Post #59521 14th Feb 2010 8:11 pm
mikehzz

I've got standard 17" alloys with Geolander ATS tyres. I reckon bigger rims (18's or 19's) would make sand driving pretty hard.

Post #59569 15th Feb 2010 12:42 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1