Home > General > Freelander 2 Sport - Wheel Question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
freely2sport

2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e Sport Manual Santorini Black
Freelander 2 Sport - Wheel Question

Hi all,

I'm just waiting for March to get my new Freelander Sport. Just got a slight slight concern about the wheels...

Whilst they look nice (if not a little pimpy), I just wonder what they're likely to be like off road? I won't be doing much off road and when I do it'll be more fields that anything else.

My main concerns are damage from lower tyre profile and also the 'diamond turned' bits being susceptible to damage from getting scratched / wet etc.

Any thoughts?

Also - if anyone has any pics of their Sport I'd love to see them. Other than a couple of press release ones I haven't seen much of the car itself.

Post #59150 11th Feb 2010 3:39 pm
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue
Re: Freelander 2 Sport - Wheel Question

freely2sport wrote:

Also - if anyone has any pics of their Sport I'd love to see them. Other than a couple of press release ones I haven't seen much of the car itself.

Neither has anybody else........ Twisted Evil

Post #59151 11th Feb 2010 3:43 pm
freely2sport

Oh - not proving too popular then, unless everyone is waiting for 10 plate...

I will post some when I get it but hope in the mean time someone can upload some.

Post #59154 11th Feb 2010 3:45 pm
Rowy

Freely2sport

Which model have you gone for-black or grey? Bodykit version?

I think the doc posted some pics of one he'd seen in a showroom??

Oh and don't worry about the wheels if you ruin them, theres loads of pretend HSE one on the market Whistle

Post #59156 11th Feb 2010 3:52 pm
freely2sport

Non-body kit, in black. The grey is nice, but black I think nicer.

I've since seen the pics of grey in a showroom. I suppose what I'd like to see is it driving through a muddy field. Dunno why...

Maybe I should just superimpose a showroom pic into a field. That'll do the trick...

Post #59158 11th Feb 2010 3:55 pm
freelaner

United Kingdom 

I have diamond turned wheels on my GTI and wouldn't touch them again. Whilst looking very cool when they are shiny, they have a downside. They are essentially bare metal with lacquer over them, if the lacquer chips even slightly you get what is called white worm as water gets under the lacquer.see pic

Click image to enlarge

to stop this you can apply wheel sealant regularly but they are far from ideal if you are straying off road. you should be ok in fields but just wash and seal them regularly!

HTH

Alex

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #59162 11th Feb 2010 4:09 pm
Lookers Park Royal

Freely,

Don't worry they are popular (a bit too popular!) as we are still waiting for our first one!! Shocked I'm not sure on exact numbers made, however it must only be around the 200 mark.

With diamond turned alloy wheels they are a little more expensive to refurbish as they are not painted and damage can lift the laquer if you're not careful (especially with gritted roads). You should be fine in muddy fields, it's more kerbs and deep rutted tracks with stones in the side that are harmful.

If you would like some 18" HSE wheels then we have plenty of demonstrators that we'd gladly swap them with!! Whistle

Hope you enjoy the new car and if we can help then drop me a line.

James Thumbs Up

Post #59163 11th Feb 2010 4:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
freely2sport

Great thanks - I'll bear that in mind. Thanks for the advice too freelaner. I suspected that would be the case.

We shall see what happens!...

Post #59167 11th Feb 2010 4:27 pm
tonka

United Kingdom 

I have the same spec & colour on order for march 1st delivery, dont worry about popular as I ordered mine through stratstone & they had problems sourcing me the vehicle as most of their dealerships had sold their allocation.I also have been looking for pics on the net as the official Land Rover pic of the car do not do it justice because in the flesh it looks fantastic Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up as for wheel damage off roading, in my opinion if you have got £26k+ to spend on a car to play in the mud then you certainly can afford to buy new wheels when you damage them Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post #59191 11th Feb 2010 6:40 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1