Home > General > Buying my first Freelander 2 HSE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Equ1nox

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey
Buying my first Freelander 2 HSE

Hi All,

I am new to this fiorum so please do bear with me, I am about to purshse my first Land Rover its a 2007 freelander 2 HSE in the tambora flame tange colour Wink but I have a couple of questions

1st Question Question : I was concerned over hearing numerous posts/articles of the reliability of these cars? or was this mainly the older models? reviews I have read is that ford now own Land rover and the free 2 is improved so much but they are still unproven in the reliablitiy I suppose spending best part of £18K im looking for a bit of reasurance im doing the right thing by giving up my BMW for a 4x4

2nd Question Question : I have read through the forum about fuel consumption as the quoted figures for 37-45mpg most people do not seem to get, I am not too fussed what the trip computer reports mpg wise what I need to know is the range from a full tank of fuel will do. I know the car has a 68 ltr tank what I really want to know is will it do 500+ miles per fill up as I do a daily commute of 29 miles each way so 58 in total ie 290 a week mainly motorway will I get this before I buy it?

Thanks in advance to all who post and please do correct me if I have any info wrong as I am new to these 4x4's Wink

Post #54860 12th Jan 2010 8:37 am
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

the FL2 is an entirely different beast from the FL1, I've had both and can compare like for like.

FL2 is better put together and much better in terms of drive and reliability.

you should easily be able to get 500+ mls from a full tank.

Iain

Post #54862 12th Jan 2010 8:50 am
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I've an auto which sups the juice more than a manual and get nearly 400 out of a tank. Short journeys make it lower...I'd suggest if you are doing 30 miles per journey then the car will easily be up to temperature and returning a good mpg.

Post #54870 12th Jan 2010 10:11 am
gumdrop

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I took delivery of my HSE auto on December 11, 27 miles on the clock drove it to Chatel in the French Alps and back 850 miles each way and did each leg in 2 tanks with a little left over (around 50 miles according to the range) - this was using cruise control and with 4 people + luggage in the car - speed was kept under 80. I was happy for a first outing Very Happy

Hopefully this mpg will increase a little as the engine beds in. Oh and I used standard diesel.

Anyone use Shell V power or an additive does this help mpg ? Cheers
Gumdrop aka Simon !
-------------------------------------------------
F2 HSE, auto, roof rails, steps, santorini black
Defender 50th
F1 1999, Commercial
Series 1 (1958)
Rebel Replica Series 1

Post #54873 12th Jan 2010 10:27 am
iain cooper

gumdrop, I use BP ultimate now and again, but it does not seem to give any more mpg with my FL2.

when I used it previously on my TD5 disco and my petrol mini cooper it gave more mpg.

I don't know why there is not any difference with FL2 ??

Iain

ps I'm very happy with my FL2 mpg, always over 40 mpg, except in this cold weather when she idles a lot
to keep me warm !!

also I have found that I can get better mpg without using the cruise control...........I must have a sensitive right foot !!

Post #54879 12th Jan 2010 10:59 am
Equ1nox

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Wow Shocked Thanks guys for the quick responces sounds like the FL2 is a good bet then? Anything else you guys would recomend that i need to know regarding ownership upgrades or anything that might be worth changing or are the FL2's now fine out of the factory?

Thanks again in advance of any reponces.

Post #54881 12th Jan 2010 11:06 am
iain cooper

Equinox, the FL2 is in my opinion an outstanding vehicle, and in standard HSE specification will fulfill most people's every need.

Iain

Post #54883 12th Jan 2010 11:16 am
npinks

United Kingdom 
Re: Buying my first Freelander 2 HSE

Quote:
1st Question : I was concerned over hearing numerous posts/articles of the reliability of these cars? or was this mainly the older models? reviews I have read is that ford now own Land rover and the free 2 is improved so much but they are still unproven in the reliablitiy I suppose spending best part of £18K im looking for a bit of reasurance im doing the right thing by giving up my BMW for a 4x4

The FL1 wasn't as reliable as the FL2 though for some reason it came 7th in a realible 4x4 poll Confused , and it looks like you have been reading old news as Ford no longer own LR, we are owned by a indian firm TATA, (fingers in lots of pies, including Tetley tea), I had one of the very early models to come out and i had one or two niggles, but all was sorted in the numerous visits i had to my dealer, alot of these where me been picky and taking it back in if it wasn't 100%. You don't say what BMW your giving up, but you will have to understand something like a 3 series is nothing like a FL2, its totally different driving style and comfort level.

Quote:
2nd Question Question : I have read through the forum about fuel consumption as the quoted figures for 37-45mpg most people do not seem to get, I am not too fussed what the trip computer reports mpg wise what I need to know is the range from a full tank of fuel will do. I know the car has a 68 ltr tank what I really want to know is will it do 500+ miles per fill up as I do a daily commute of 29 miles each way so 58 in total ie 290 a week mainly motorway will I get this before I buy it?

I only do short trip, Kippax to Garforth (local lad with a local job) I get around 300 to a tank, even with slippers on Whistle If i go further afield the MPG does improve to closer to 30-31mpg, unless I am driving in the outside lane like i own a BMW Laughing

Others who do longer journey will be able to help more Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #54888 12th Jan 2010 11:38 am
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

I personally think my MPG is rubbish but I do a lot of short journeys & the engine only has just over 750 miles on it so I hope this is the reason! (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #54891 12th Jan 2010 11:43 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ralphk

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Zermatt Silver

I find that my auto Freely with nearly 5,000 miles on the clock and short journeys averages 27 mpg. It does alot more if TOTMBO asks me! Ralph
Zurmatt Silver, Diesel, Automatic, side steps, mud flaps, mats, boot liner, TomTom Start 60 installed, rubbing strips, removable Brink tow bar, after market tinted glass, front styling bar, Rear spoiler, Motorlicious tail pipe trim. Wood Company centre armrest

Post #54895 12th Jan 2010 12:08 pm
hon3009

United Kingdom 

I came from a Z4 to my freelander and have never looked back, i do mostly short trips and get 320-350 miles per tank from my automatic.

As the car your looking at will be out of warranty this year i would make sure you get 12months in the deal..

guy salmon wakefield have proved very good for service..

Thumbs Up

Post #54897 12th Jan 2010 12:19 pm
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

My auto gets between 26-29mpg on short journeys. Open it up on a dual carriageway and you should be getting 32-36mpg. Have achieved 39.4mpg once but that was going downhill with a tail wind so doesnt really count. Now - 2017 BMW X3 M Sport Carbon Black
Gone - 2014 BMW X3 M Sport Space Grey, faultless!
Gone - 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Bali Blue with xenons
Gone - 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Rimini Red with bodykit

Post #54900 12th Jan 2010 12:46 pm
athelstan

FWIW:

My FL2 MY2010 Manual TD4-e delivered 20th November'09.

I live in the Swiss Alps so my motoring is 90%+ uphill n down dale so to speak. I've just gone through my fuel receipts / kilometers driven and can report that currently "Felix" is returning imperial 38.34 mpg.

I've noticed that when one of the 3 special terrain responses is selected the fuel consumption increases dramatically (circa 20%+). The use of "cruise-control" on two motorway outings indicated that it was positively contributing to the fuel efficiency of the vehicle. Also I observe that Felix is at his fuel efficient best between 80>100kph in 6th.

Post #54915 12th Jan 2010 2:24 pm
proplus

FL2 HSE Auto MY2010 took delivery in Nov 09

After 4500 miles the engine has eased up a bit and has increased the economy slighlty. My daily commute is similar distance to yours (33miles each trip), I used to get around 33mpg now starting to hit 36mpg.

One full tank can definitely get me 500miles, depending on how hard I drive it, either just over or somewhere around 530miles.

Post #54941 12th Jan 2010 5:40 pm
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

Blimey three people in consecutive 3 posts all got new HSE FL2's in November (28th for me). Around town my average fuel consumption tends to read around 23mpg Rolling with laughter My MG ZT 260-V8 did 21. (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #54944 12th Jan 2010 5:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>