Home > General > Weird noise
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
richardk

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Aintree Green
Weird noise

Evening all

Just recently my FL2 has started makinga strange sound.....after driving for about 20 miles..there's this squeak squeak (about two squeaks per second) that comes and goes....particularly when driving between 35-50mph. The noise is from outside of the car as if you open the window it gets louder. It is not speed related as in the pitch doesn't change if you speed up or slow down. Occasionally a bump/pothole in the road will give one squeak when the car has been driven for a while.

This is obviuosly going to be amazingly hard for the dealer to locate as it is intermittent and only happens after a drive of 20 miles or so.

The car has been doing it occasionally but is noticeably worse since the 3yr service

Any thoughts anyone? Other than turn the radio up - couldn't do that today as the CD locked up and had to turn off to reboot it.

Post #52248 17th Dec 2009 8:46 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Sounds similar to a noise I had with mine.
Turned out to be the rear brake pads. They're crap quality so that water gets behind the brake material and backing plate which makes the pads start to curl up at the edges causing the squeak. ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #52327 18th Dec 2009 5:50 pm
richardk

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Aintree Green

Dave wrote:
Turned out to be the rear brake pads. They're crap quality so that water gets behind the brake material and backing plate which makes the pads start to curl up at the edges causing the squeak.

HI Dave

You might be right about my squeak.......it was doing it today so I touched the brake pedal and it stopped...that is repeatable. It never starts doing it until i've been driving for around half an hour - how weird?!

What did they do to you brakes in the end?

Richard

Post #52565 21st Dec 2009 6:58 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

richardk wrote:
Dave wrote:
Turned out to be the rear brake pads. They're crap quality so that water gets behind the brake material and backing plate which makes the pads start to curl up at the edges causing the squeak.

HI Dave

You might be right about my squeak.......it was doing it today so I touched the brake pedal and it stopped...that is repeatable. It never starts doing it until i've been driving for around half an hour - how weird?!

What did they do to you brakes in the end?

Richard

Probably changed the mice Laughing 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #52574 21st Dec 2009 9:16 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1