« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Bye bye
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Highlandcow

Scotland 
Almost hello

Well, I've traded in the Audi A5 for a new Discovery 4 HSE. The LR dealer gave me a fairly good trade-in value and the 0% finance offer over 2 years was too good to miss.

So it's back to the Land of the Landy...

Post #49255 24th Oct 2009 5:25 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
Never far away ...

Welcome back, sort of!

I too am a defector, its been three months since I waved goodbye to my FL2, but I still lurk here.

Suspect I will miss the FL2 next weekend when I tow my caravan for the first time with my new Volvo V70. If the field is as wet as it is today then I'm sure I'll miss the four wheel drive ...

By the way have have returned in style ! Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #49256 24th Oct 2009 5:52 pm
philsh

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Loire Blue
Re: Almost hello

Highlandcow wrote:
Well, I've traded in the Audi A5 for a new Discovery 4 HSE

Nice work - you'll have to keep us posted on that one. The Disco 4 is a lovely car Thumbs Up Gone - TD4 XS Auto, Sumatra Black, Mud flaps and side strips, clear indicators, private plate, privacy glass

Post #49287 25th Oct 2009 2:29 pm
Highlandcow

Scotland 

avtur:

Why did you go from the FL2 to a V70? I've returned in style? No, the A5 had bags more style...

philsh:

Silly really, I only had a short, 15 minute test drive in the Disco, but it was enough to let me see how much less it wallows going round corners than the FL2. I have to say that I don't miss that feature of the FL2.

The A5's sat nav system (as in all Audis) is not as good as the FL2's: it lacks full post code entry, omitting the final two letters due to an unwillingness of Audi to pay a full licensing fee I'm led to believe. You're given only one route option and I never mastered how to edit a location.

In fact, the A5's sat nav and MMI (multi-media interface) are clear examples of form before function: no touch screen and one big knob to navigate menus and options.

One better feature of the A5's sat nav was the 3D view, but that might be a feature of the Disco 4 HSE's sat nav - will have to wait and see, alongwith the the iPod integration which was fairly good on the A5, but still had its faults.

Lastly, I'll compare is the seats: the FL2's were more comfortable on longer journeys, a bit softer than the A5's. However, the A5 seats looked and felt better to the touch and filled the car with a stronger leather smell. The Disco 4 HSE has an unmistakable leather smell, more so than a FL2, or is it just my nose - discuss....?

Of course, going from the FL2 to the A5, and going from an A5 to a Disco 4 aren't fair comparisons, but when I had the A5 I wished I still had the FL2 and only time will tell if I'll miss the A5 when I'm driving the Disco...

Post #49291 25th Oct 2009 3:23 pm
Highlandcow

Scotland 
Re: Almost hello

philsh wrote:
Highlandcow wrote:
Well, I've traded in the Audi A5 for a new Discovery 4 HSE

Nice work - you'll have to keep us posted on that one. The Disco 4 is a lovely car Thumbs Up

I posted my thoughts on the D4 here:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic42690.html

Post #51725 7th Dec 2009 2:46 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Highlandcow wrote:
avtur:

Lastly, I'll compare is the seats: the FL2's were more comfortable on longer journeys, a bit softer than the A5's. However, the A5 seats looked and felt better to the touch and filled the car with a stronger leather smell. The Disco 4 HSE has an unmistakable leather smell, more so than a FL2, or is it just my nose - discuss....?

I wonder if the leather smell is because the Disco has proper leather seats and not the half leather half plastic (=Pleather) that the FL2 has Question

The pleather in my FL2 was one of the big disappointments when I thought I was getting 100% leather - yeh I know, I didn’t read the blurb in the brochure Whistle 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #51728 7th Dec 2009 8:57 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12