« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Intermittent Flat Battery
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
james.tetley

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Baltic Blue
Intermittent Flat Battery

Have had my Feb 07 FL2 HSE since April, and have been blighted with an intermittent fault, which flattens the battery overnight. No pattern to it - can be 3 times in a week, or once every 6 weeks.

Each time, a jump start gets the car going fine, until the next time. Hunters in Southampton have had it 5 times, and nothing shows up on the diagnostic software each time (and because its intermittent, they say it is near impossible to diagnose, unless it actually happens when the car is with them). Have spoken to LR, and they too have no idea, but have sent it to Guy Salmon to see if they can spot anything that Hunters missed.

I have been told by Hunters that it could be 1) bluetooth continues to search overnight - surely the car shuts down when locked... 2) could be interference from a low voltage electricity pylon at the end of my road...really?! 3) could be the RF antennas on the back windows picking up something on the same wavelength.

Anyone have any thoughts? Has become v.frustrating, as the car (which otherwise, is great), has become unreliable.

Post #50752 23rd Nov 2009 2:30 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Occasionally Little Green Men visit your street to suck the life juice out of your battery Question Whistle 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #50766 23rd Nov 2009 5:06 pm
james.tetley

Suspect that will be LR's next excuse...

Post #50767 23rd Nov 2009 5:08 pm
stormsky

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Lago Grey

Something not shutting down when locked. Do you leave anything in the constantly powered 12v socket?

Maybe its possible to try removing fuses overnight from different systems to see if that helps narrow down the suspects? 58 HSE, auto, lago grey, tints. Mine and my dogs Storm and Sky
TT Quattro, black. Ers.
AC Cobra rep in build. Ars.

Post #50793 23rd Nov 2009 10:18 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

early car had problems with things like the satnav screen not turning off

best thing is if under warranty is call LRA out to check the battery, mine was replaced due to it leaking acid, they will voltage test it to make sure the alternator is charging it and the battery is charging etc Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #50801 23rd Nov 2009 10:46 pm
tonka

United Kingdom 

I had the same probs with a Subaru, turned out to be the battery (faulty sell) Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #50803 23rd Nov 2009 11:03 pm
jp

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

As posted a few month ago

Hi there,
I have only had my FL2 for about 2 months. but over the weekend I woke up to a flat battery, Has your fl2 get the factory blue tooth fitted(se and hse stardard) because that's was the fault on my landyrrover?? on friday evening I drove home on the phone turned the engine off still on the phone plulled the key out dash and then finshed the phone call.And woke up to wrong shape battery (the bluetooth did turn off thus drained the battery in less than 24[ hours. Charged battery up fro a few hours and the landyrover started. But the instrument panel did'nt work so I pulled fuse 8 (5amp from the passaenger fuse box) which reset it self. and bingo landyrover working fine agian (best off luck John)javascript:emoticon('')
Thumbs Up

Post #50804 23rd Nov 2009 11:13 pm
jp

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

This may also help, hope you get it sorted. All the best JP.

hi to all,
I see the flat battery problems are still on going,

Lets get to basics, what is a battery and what's is job ???

First a battery is a power pack (a reservoir) the bigger the battery the bigger the reservoir the more power it can give over a longer time. A fully charged battery for example

80 amp hour battery will give 8amps (96watts) for 10 hours or 10amp (120 watts) for 8 hours
120 amp hour battery will give 8amp (96watts) for 15 hours or 10amps(120watts) for 12 hours etc.

whats the job of the battery??
TO START THE CAR IN THE MORNING TO GO TO WORK ??plus run all the electrical things on the car radio, lights heater etc, (the modern car has a massive demand on the battery and modern cars have modern battery's to cope with this)

They also have modern very powerful Alternators to keep the battery charged ,

ie, start the car on a very cold frosty morning 600 to 800 amps to turn the cold engine over to start approx 10 seconds, approx 12 amp for the lights, heated seats 20 amps heated screen,mirros and heater approx 20amps TOTAL 52 amps ( A FULLY CHARGED BATTERY WILL BE FLAT IN UNDER 1.5 HOURS ) a drive to work under 10 miles 15 minutes and the battery may not be fully recharged

In the summer 400 to 600 amp to start (no lights, heater ) only the radio and ignition the battery will last a good 5 to 8 hour with no problems. battery fully recharged after about 5 miles or 10 minutes.

BUT ALL OF THE ABOVE WORKS WHEN EVERYTHING IS WORKING OK. AND THERE IS NOT SOME THINK PLUGGED IN OR A DISCHARGE. if there's a problem with the Alternator, the drive belts loose or the power cables from the alternator to the battery and the earth cable from the engine to chassis and chassis to battery are loose,dirty you will not get the full power from the Alternator to fully recharge the battery.
AND YOU WILL ALWAYS HAVE A PROBLEM WITH FLAT BATTERY'S AND NONE STARTERS IN THE MORNING

I would get the full charging system checked out, because replacing the battery every 2 week is not the problem
Have fun regards jp
17 years in the motor trade building kit cars, fuel economy cars from hgv to road cars

Post #50805 23rd Nov 2009 11:21 pm
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

I had an intermitent starting fault with my last BMW when it was only 2 weeks old, turned out it was the earth wite from the battery which was constantly draining into the chassis (hmmm an electric car???) Fault was made worse if I had something like the radio on without the engine running

Post #50806 23rd Nov 2009 11:23 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Experienced this many times with my FL2, dealer response was useless, battery etc repeatedly checked - no fault found - car still had the fault when it was sold ...

Colleague at work still has FL2 and continues to experience same problem with similar poor dealer support and associated frustrations.

Most help I got was the one time I called Land Rover Assist, he had seen the problem many times before and was of the opinion that the problem lay with the computers not closing all systems down problem. Seem to remember that it takes some time for all the systems to close down. He monitored battery voltage and current drain over a period of around 30 minutes to prove that system was OK before sending me on my way. Battery and alternator can be healthy but this problem can still occur resulting on flat battery.

but sorry no result ... Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #50809 24th Nov 2009 2:35 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Forum member Viking, has had similar problems which was diagnosed as a faulty battery and which was replaced. I believe no other electrical problem was found. http://www.freel2.com/forum/post44326.html#44326
Check his other threads for further info.

My FL2 stands for days on end and sometimes out in -10 to -15 C winter degrees but has never missed a start, or even an hint of a low battery Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #50819 24th Nov 2009 12:36 pm
james.tetley

Thanks for the comments - have asked LR to replace the battery this time (to make sure it isnt the battery) - although every time LRA have been out, the battery tests fine - charging fine/ and shuts down quickly to the expected residual.

Saw a comment about it being the bluetooth, if you switch off the car, whilst carrying on your call - will try that, and see if that does it.

Post #50834 24th Nov 2009 2:02 pm
ashtons99

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Its happened to me once and the cause was definately the bluetooth latching. I just make sure i terminate my call now before getting to destination and turning engine off. LR tech said there is a software upgrade

Post #51205 29th Nov 2009 8:10 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I make loads of call and turn car off during them switches back to phone no problem so must be sorted fir MY2010 cars Wink Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #51208 29th Nov 2009 8:15 pm
ant

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Baltic Blue

I had a flat battery a few months ago, and it turned out to be the audio unit was not fully 'asleep' when the car was left. Replaced under warranty (not the whole unit), no such problem since FL2 TD4 S Baltic Blue, with twin electrics and towbar, roofrails, luggage cover, spare wheel and mudflaps.

Post #51301 30th Nov 2009 11:41 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>