« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Mud Flaps - to fit or not
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
athelstan

Mud Flaps - to fit or not

Anyone: What are the pros & cons of having mud flaps on the FL2 Question

I've been debating whether to spend the incredible sum of approx UK£90 for front and rear flaps. Do they really do a good job of protecting the car, or, will they simply tear off on the first excursion into deep snow and/or deeply rutted muddy tracks n strewn boulders......................

Points of view are greatly appreciated - thanks Confused

Post #50078 11th Nov 2009 12:51 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I use my FL2 off road a fare bit and 4 months a year in winter and snow conditions and I have not found any reason to fit mud flaps as they would not help very much in these driving conditions as there will be lots of splashings under and along the sides of the car regardless. In addition, I suspect also that they would soon get damaged or even ripped off driving in the mountains anyway. I did consider fitting them when I bought the car two years ago, but am glad now I didnt.

Still, if you are a plain asphalt driver, maybe they may help a bit under normal wet conditions, of if you want to make the Freely look a bit retro tough (if you like that sort of thing). Personaly I would reccomend not fitting them, but of course it is a personal choice in the end Thumbs Up . 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #50079 11th Nov 2009 1:19 pm
Bill Turner

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

I have fitted them to my FL2 and they do not seem to make much difference on tarmac in the wet IE only minimal reduction in amount of spray, but on forest tracks when officiating on motorsport events the amount of mud on the car appears to be reduced by a significant amount.

See my post on the General section "Freelander 2 on the Cambrian Rally" the picture was taken after we had covered some 30 miles of forest tracks.

Bill Turner. Life Honorary Member of Wallasey Motor Club.
Licenced MSA Radio Operator for 35+ years.
Rallying is the only sport.

Post #50080 11th Nov 2009 1:57 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

mine didnt rip off when the car was up to its sills in the rock strewn ruts of kielder forest, I bent the side tubs a little but not the mud flaps At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #50081 11th Nov 2009 2:42 pm
athelstan

Everyone: many thanks for your "experiences" input - appreciated Thumbs Up

So in the first instance I'll not buy any mud flaps and see what I discover over the course of this winter.

By the way, on current UK£vCHF exchange rates a set (F&R) of mud flaps will cost you UK£157 in Switzerland Rolling Eyes

You don't know how lucky you lot are in dear old Blighty.

Post #50082 11th Nov 2009 3:07 pm
incubus

Bill Turner wrote:
the amount of mud on the car appears to be reduced by a significant amount.

That'll be an argument against then? Wink

Post #50083 11th Nov 2009 3:14 pm
chicken george

As a farmer I can safely say that I hate mud and do not want it over my car. Its not big and not clever Evil or Very Mad
I also try and get it off my tractors by driving along the road as often as possible, leaving a trail of mud behind ,hopefully soon or later a caravan will arrive to collect the mud all over its nose and take it away somewhere Thumbs Up

my dealer fitted the flaps along with rubber mats as a bonus when I bought the car, he thought doing that would stop me asking for a discount Laughing At work
At home

Post #50084 11th Nov 2009 3:23 pm
AndyC

athelstan wrote:
Everyone: many thanks for your "experiences" input - appreciated Thumbs Up

So in the first instance I'll not buy any mud flaps and see what I discover over the course of this winter.

By the way, on current UK£vCHF exchange rates a set (F&R) of mud flaps will cost you UK£157 in Switzerland Rolling Eyes

You don't know how lucky you lot are in dear old Blighty.

Like many things, it may be worth concidering visiting the UK for flap-fitting, custom leather-fitting, a full service, new tyres, and all the other LR extras you may be after that are much cheaper there Thumbs Up . Blighty Boys dont know how good they have it Whistle 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #50085 11th Nov 2009 3:30 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

we know how good we have it Smile

Its good whilst there is a bit of cold water and snow between us and your over inflated prices Laughing Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #50086 11th Nov 2009 3:57 pm
AndyC

Laughing yeh right - but I do get 15% (or 17.5%) discount Cool on everything I can buy in the UK - but unfortunatly does not count when buying a Freelander Crying or Very sad 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.

Post #50087 11th Nov 2009 6:34 pm
athelstan

chicken george wrote:
As a farmer I can safely say that I hate mud and do not want it over my car. Its not big and not clever Evil or Very Mad
I also try and get it off my tractors by driving along the road as often as possible, leaving a trail of mud behind ,hopefully soon or later a caravan will arrive to collect the mud all over its nose and take it away somewhere Thumbs Up

Well CG I can see that genetically you are a true demented rural anarchist letting your tractors to deposit their mire all over the public byways and allowing without let or hinderance the free distribution of such organic (or otherwise) matter by the CC GB. However, personally I'd napalm every single caravan out of existence and tax (as an HGV) every single tractor that seeks to use the byways even for only one single minute of every calendar year Wink

chicken george wrote:
my dealer fitted the flaps along with rubber mats as a bonus when I bought the car, he thought doing that would stop me asking for a discount Laughing

You're lucky if you get a free cup of coffee, let alone a "discount" out of a Swiss car dealer Sad

Post #50089 11th Nov 2009 8:00 pm
athelstan

AndyC wrote:

Like many things, it may be worth concidering visiting the UK for flap-fitting, custom leather-fitting, a full service, new tyres, and all the other LR extras you may be after that are much cheaper there Thumbs Up . Blighty Boys dont know how good they have it Whistle

Andy
I've already placed orders in the UK for accessories - many LR Dealers are happy to discount the list price and sell VAT free for export out of the EU i.e. CH, but, I could not buy the FL2 in Blighty cost effectively after I've taken into account the additional transport costs, swiss import duty,vat, conformity testing, and mot!! And not forgetting the mountain of swiss paper work- yuk Mad Mad Mad

Post #50091 11th Nov 2009 8:08 pm
AndyC

athelstan wrote:
AndyC wrote:

Like many things, it may be worth concidering visiting the UK for flap-fitting, custom leather-fitting, a full service, new tyres, and all the other LR extras you may be after that are much cheaper there Thumbs Up . Blighty Boys dont know how good they have it Whistle

Andy
I've already placed orders in the UK for accessories - many LR Dealers are happy to discount the list price and sell VAT free for export out of the EU i.e. CH, but, I could not buy the FL2 in Blighty cost effectively after I've taken into account the additional transport costs, swiss import duty,vat, conformity testing, and mot!! And not forgetting the mountain of swiss paper work- yuk Mad Mad Mad

Same duty/tax crap here in Norway. In adition, the UK models have the stearing wheel on the wrong side anyway Laughing 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.

Post #50097 11th Nov 2009 9:13 pm
On-board

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

[quote="athelstan"]

chicken george wrote:

Well CG I can see that genetically you are a true demented rural anarchist letting your tractors to deposit their mire all over the public byways and allowing without let or hinderance the free distribution of such organic (or otherwise) matter by the CC GB. However, personally I'd napalm every single caravan out of existence and tax (as an HGV) every single tractor that seeks to use the byways even for only one single minute of every calendar year Wink
Sad

I like you, ur great. Yawn

Post #50099 11th Nov 2009 9:22 pm
chicken george

Thumbs Up dont built roads through our fields then wonder why we drive our tractors on them Rolling Eyes Laughing At work
At home

Post #50104 11th Nov 2009 10:08 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>