Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Oils for Freelander 2 2007 i6 automatic.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Redfox

Denmark 2007 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Izmir Blue
Oils for Freelander 2 2007 i6 automatic.

Hi all,
The more I read, the more I get confused.

FIrst of all, let me just say that I am not in the UK and I cannot get the English brands apart from Castrol, that many of you seem to talk about.

On my Freelander 2 from 2007, an i6 automatic, I need to change the gearbox oil, the haldex oil, and what ever differential oil is needed. so basically it all.
Engine oil, I am not in doubt about and have done already.

I'd like to use Castrol oils whenever possible. There are some reasons for that, but let's not go down that route right now.

What should I use?

On a secondary note, the notes that Land Rover describes in the user manual, is old data, and much can or could have been changed since then back in 2006.
For example for my Lotus Esprit, Castrol changed the oil, so that it's no longer available... a few times...
This means that the original recommended gearbox oil is priced sky high for bottles that are more than 10 years old by now, and practically unusable.

They then recommended a newer oil, and that also was dropped or changed.
The new version is on the market and available. I have taken my Esprit gearbox apart and inspected and measured all bearings, casing, gears etc. for wear and see no ill effect of their newest recommended oil.

Anyway, back to the Freelander 2 i6 aut.

What should I use in the aut. gearbox, the Haldex the rear diff and the (?) front diff? (I am not knowledgeable about it all yet).

I will use a machine to flush the gearbox. The diffs and Haldex is manual changed, I suppose.
I hope you experienced people on here can guide me to exactly what I should use and why.

Kind regards,
Redfox.

Post #439883 7th Mar 2024 2:04 am
axle

England 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

If you have a look in sponsors for Advanced Motorfactors you will find all the up to date oil requirements. Common sense isn't very common.

Post #439884 7th Mar 2024 4:59 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Failing that...

The Car's 'Owners Handbook', Pages 162/163 for the MY13... Si4 (4 cylinders & turbo), but probably more or less a similar admin page location in the car's Owners Handbook <MY13 build date.

In my handbook:

It's a Ford engine (a taxi so to speak) like the rest of the car other than the odd Volvo bit. Say in the roof rack. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #439890 7th Mar 2024 2:07 pm
axle

England 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

That's not going to help him with a 3.2 Volvo engine Lightwater. Common sense isn't very common.

Post #439902 7th Mar 2024 7:09 pm
Redfox

Yes, I need to know it specifically for my i6 3,2Liter engine petrol and the assorted drivetrain.

So updated of modern products and not just locally English products that is not sold anywhere else.
That would be nice.

Kind regards,
Redfox.

Post #439906 7th Mar 2024 8:14 pm
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Do Ravenol sell fluids in your country

Post #439909 7th Mar 2024 10:43 pm
Redfox

I believe I can get it, maybe have to import it, but would prefer Castrol if possible.
Any good suggestions with out adverse effects?

Kind regards,
Redfox.

Post #439910 7th Mar 2024 10:45 pm
Redfox

So, is Ravenol the preferred oil these days for the front power transfer unit and same brand for the Haldex?

Regarding the rear diff, I've seen videos of people using 80W90 oil. I am not going to use Halfords and the like. Only brand oils. Prefer Castrol, but if say Ravenöl is better at the moment and suits spec, then I may try to import that.
On my Esprit, I use Castrol Syntrans Transaxle 75W90 and is an API GL4+ oil specification. That is the only approved oil for it's diff. Can this be used on the Freelander 2 rear diff?

My users handbook is now 17+ years old and is not valid. Certainly as the products are not really available, and there's been gains in the oil department since then. Also, Land Rover oils are not for me. I want something I can get in other countries when I travel. Land Rover just writes a name, no indication of what demands and specs it actually is. An LR number is not useful for this.

Regarding the automatic 6 speed gearbox, can Castrol Transmax ATF be used? It is worth noting that this Castrol oil is a 75W80 long life type, which I am not going to respect though. Change it every 2-3 years (I don't drive very much). Or are there specific needs and demands for this gearbox oil?
Which approvals is needed for this specific automatic gearbox?

And which is better for the Haldex? The Febi Haldex oil, or the Ravenol Haldex oil?

Kind regards,
Redfox.

Update: right, so I have looked all over, and there are just as many views on this topic, as there are cars.
I have decided to go for Ravenol for the front ptu, and the Haldex. I will try to see if I can source original Aisin ATF-0T4 auto gearbox oil, which seems to be the correct one, as far as i could read. I will probably use the manual method of changing it, so probably need 12-15 Liter, if I need to change it 4 times, some 3 Liter or more each time.

I noted that it's very har to get Aisin oil in Denmark, so I looked up Ravenol again and they have a compatible autobox oil that should equal the Aisin ATF-0T4, which is called Ravenol ATF T-WS, which mentions Land Rover Freelander and an assortment of Volvo engines/gearboxes, that use the same engine/gearbox, in it's list on their homepage.

Or this one, which mentions Aisin F21, and is also TIV type and lists Land Rover LR002748.
https://www.ravenol.de/en/product/getriebe...t-iv-fluid
This is only mentioned as a synthetic oil, not fully synthetic and not of their professional line from Ravenol.

I don't know which one to choose??? I think the later Ravenol I just mentioned is the correct one.

Just need to order new oil plugs, gaskets and Haldex service kit (my serial no. indicates gen. 3, so the short one).
I'll report back here as I go.

Post #440515 31st Mar 2024 9:44 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1