Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Is 75k miles the average differential life?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

Arctic wrote:
Do we know which is the best diff kit to get to refurbish the diff, ie bearings cogs etc, and are they different from an Auto to manual, with what bearings and cogs are used inside the diff.

Will a diff from a 2010 be ok to use in a 2014 so a few questions which would be good to clear up by those with more experience of the diff's.

I rebuilt my own, using a diff from a 2012 Evoque as a base. I couldn't use my original diff, as it was destroyed and seized solid.
I use a bearing and seals kit from ebay that had Cortico seals and Timken bearings. You also need the tool to rebuilt it. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #438623 20th Jan 2024 10:02 pm
Arctic

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Quote:
I rebuilt my own, using a diff from a 2012 Evoque as a base. I couldn't use my original diff, as it was destroyed and seized solid.
I use a bearing and seals kit from ebay that had Cortico seals and Timken bearings. You also need the tool to rebuilt it.
[/quote]

Hi John.
Any links for the above please tool and ebay seller, for the kit. cheers Arctic

Post #438625 20th Jan 2024 10:57 pm
dondiddy

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Firenze Red

My (original) diff was on 150,000mls with original oil when I sold the Freelander. The Freelander was ex lease and serviced in accordance with LR service schedules. Changing the oil was on my to do list but I never got round to it. I bought it with 132,000miles on the clock and sold it after 18months and 18,000mls. It was still on the original clutch, turbo ,ptu etc as well. Thumbs Up

Post #438634 21st Jan 2024 12:14 pm
Nodge68

Arctic wrote:
Quote:
I use a bearing and seals kit from ebay that had Cortico seals and Timken bearings. You also need the tool to rebuilt it.

Hi John.

I got the tool off a forum member.

The kit I bought doesn't seem to be available now. However it was like this one. https://www.island-4x4.co.uk/rear-differen...36637.html 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.

Post #438635 21st Jan 2024 12:31 pm
AT1963

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

I have 67k on mine and changed rear diff oil and PTU as well as Haldex at approx 50k so will replace all 3 again this year.
Frequent oil changes has got to be the way forward Thumbs Up

Post #438645 21st Jan 2024 7:23 pm
Jack frost

United Kingdom 

It’s absolutely disgusting that Land Rover knew about the diff crown bearing problem not long after the first cars rolled off the production lines but failed to address the problem in the whole FL2’s production life.

Post #438653 21st Jan 2024 10:46 pm
Arctic

Nodge68 wrote:
Arctic wrote:
Quote:

Hi John.

Quote:
I got the tool off a forum member.

The kit I bought doesn't seem to be available now. However it was like this one. https://www.island-4x4.co.uk/rear-differen...36637.html

Hi John.
Thank you for the link, i will get a set, but i think the spare diff i have seems ok, but always best i suppose to start from scratch, do you or anyone have the part number for the tool needed please.

Post #438707 23rd Jan 2024 2:28 pm
Nodge68

I'm going to be getting mine out before the next MOT, as I want to either replace the subframe, or clean it up and replace some of the suspension links.
I've found a supplier that will send out an OE subframe and all the suspension links for £580, which I'm very tempted to get.
If I was to replace all the suspension links, it's going to cost over £300, so effectively I'll be buying a new subframe for under £300. So it's the a toss up as to weather it's worth my time plus rust treatments and paint vs simply replacing the subframe? 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.

Post #438724 23rd Jan 2024 7:20 pm
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Wondering how much Muddy Mods charge for the full kit

A company in N Ireland are asking £580.

I believe the bits are sourced through Britpart

Post #438725 23rd Jan 2024 8:03 pm
Arctic

Quote:
Nodge68 wrote:
I'm going to be getting mine out before the next MOT, as I want to either replace the subframe, or clean it up and replace some of the suspension links.
I've found a supplier that will send out an OE subframe and all the suspension links for £580, which I'm very tempted to get.
If I was to replace all the suspension links, it's going to cost over £300, so effectively I'll be buying a new subframe for under £300. So it's the a toss up as to weather it's worth my time plus rust treatments and paint vs simply replacing the subframe?

Hi John.
I am doing some work on MY07 this coming spring & summer, and i was looking at changing out the rear sub frame etc as opposed to removing it and cleaning up & painting link i have kept just in case.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/126215646443

Post #439210 8th Feb 2024 9:54 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Mine had a drain plug fitted at 48,000 miles and the oil changed every other service after that.
Silent as the grave when I sold her at 185,000 miles.
Hard miles, down a quarry for the first 18 months, dragged a caravan all over Europe, off-road at pay and play sites as often as I was allowed.

Oil is cheap, why would you not change it every 24,000 miles or even every service?

Just don't understand the extended oil service idea or even the fit and forget mentality, changing the oil gets rid of the swarf and debris that are a normal part of wear and tear. You aren't changing the oil you are cleaning out the rubbish. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #439237 8th Feb 2024 8:56 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

The decision to make transmission parts (gearbox, haldex, diff) 'Sealed for Life' were taken under the Ford controlled period.
From what I understand different strategies were adopted by other 'Ford' products using the same chassis/architecture (Volvo?) at the time.
If this is right, I do not understand how they arrived at the different decisions.

I have no doubt that changing the oil, degraded by getting continually 'sliced' by the gears, and as mentioned above containing ever increasing swarf, is best for prolonging life.
But things change, and we cannot, it seems, employ someone to go round every morning with an oily rag and an oil can as they did with the steam engines, or for that matter a grease gun for bearings.

At this point I have to tell you that I have taken part, as a senior field engineer/project manager, in quite a few company level maintenance/cost/quality reviews, and therefore realise quite a lot of thought goes into these decisions. (I also know that you need a 'Cast Iron' case to get past the 'Bean Counters') FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #439247 9th Feb 2024 10:54 am
Mowog

Yes, whatever happened to cast iron
My Morris ten was full of cast iron
( and the original diff is still working after 90 years and 4 months and working through two world wars)

Post #439248 9th Feb 2024 10:58 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

"Just don't understand the extended oil service idea or even the fit and forget mentality, changing the oil gets rid of the swarf and debris that are a normal part of wear and tear. You aren't changing the oil you are cleaning out the rubbish."

Its all about minimising the servicing costs during the warranty period, in a competitive market built on selling new cars. What happens in the long term is of no real importance to the sales people. Jules

Post #439250 9th Feb 2024 11:12 am
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Exactly. JLR’s competitors have more frequent service requirements for the same or similar components. Me, I'll go for the scheduled oil change rather than the unscheduled breakdown every time!

Post #439251 9th Feb 2024 11:41 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12