« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Second Freelander in the family
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
KeithB

United Kingdom 
Second Freelander in the family

Good morning all. Tomorrow we're collecting a 2010 reg (but 2009 model) Freelander 2 for my son, to go with my daughter's car which she bought in 2022.

The one we're collecting tomorrow is in extraordinarily good condition with less than 60k put on the clock by its only previous owner and with annual services carried out by a LR dealer from 2011-2022. It was serviced in 2023 but at an independent garage.

There are a couple of things to sort out -the high level brake light doesn't work and the previous owner made some modifications in the load area meaning we'll need to get a new floor and cover to restore it to original. Nothing major.

The only query I have relates to the entry in the LR online service history for 2020 which includes the cambelt but not the tensioner, idler gear or the ancillary belt. I assume these are all entered manually by the dealer on the LR site and someone just couldn't be bothered to enter all the details. The dealer concerned isn't really interested in clearing these issues up so I've written to the previous owner-if you're reading this and have received my letter, I'd appreciate your getting in touch.

Question for readers-is it possible to find out on line the spec of the car when new, ie what extras were specified by the buyer? It's an XS with full Almond leather which would have been at extra cost but I'm not sure if any other options were chosen. Can anyone help with this?

Thanks in advance
Keith

I

Post #438368 12th Jan 2024 10:32 am
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

An LR dealer should have replaced everything that the service manual specifies for the procedure, which I believe includes the tensioner and idler, however they seldom replace the water pump.

To check the build spec, put the VIN into this website.
https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/check-lookup/ 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #438376 12th Jan 2024 5:27 pm
sid

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

nice!no dpf ,i hope!

Post #438379 12th Jan 2024 10:06 pm
KeithB

United Kingdom 

Many thanks to you both. I've used that link and got the spec. There's no mention of a DPF but I don't know whether that's the sort of thing that would be listed anyway. I wouldn't expect a DPF to be a problem even if there is one . From the mileage the car has done I doubt it went on many long journeys and the owner presumably didn't experience frequent problems or he would have got rid of the car. I owned a Jaguar XF 3ltr diesel and despite mainly local use never had a DPF problem in 9 yrs of ownership-just took it for a good ride at least once a month. Time will tell I suppose.

Post #438385 13th Jan 2024 10:04 am
Arctic

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Sounds like a nice car, Auto or manual? also maybe ask or change the PTU, rear diff oil, Haldex oil, i doubt they have been done with that mileage.

Post #438388 13th Jan 2024 11:23 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

DPFs appeared on the 2011 models. Check the air intake pipe running along the top/back of the engine and see if it has the "organ pipes" sticking out. If it has them then no DPF. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #438390 13th Jan 2024 11:37 am
Nodge68

KeithB wrote:
Many thanks to you both. I've used that link and got the spec. There's no mention of a DPF but I don't know whether that's the sort of thing that would be listed anyway. I wouldn't expect a DPF to be a problem even if there is one . From the mileage the car has done I doubt it went on many long journeys and the owner presumably didn't experience frequent problems or he would have got rid of the car. I owned a Jaguar XF 3ltr diesel and despite mainly local use never had a DPF problem in 9 yrs of ownership-just took it for a good ride at least once a month. Time will tell I suppose.

DPF would be part of the build spec, as it needs adding in production.
There's also an engine identifier in the VIN, which is the 8th character in the code.
For up to 2010 models, if the 8th character is an A, then it's a 3.2L petrol engine.
If the 8th character is a B, then it's a 2.2L diesel without DPF.
If the 8th character is a C, then it's a 2.2L diesel with DPF.

Hope that helps. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.

Post #438394 13th Jan 2024 1:36 pm
KeithB

United Kingdom 

Just got home from collecting the car-100 motorway miles without incident so off to a good start anyway.

It's an auto so will be a bit thirsty but it's replacing a 2ltr petrol auto Subaru Forester, which died after 97k, so will be an improvement fuel wise on that!

The 8th character of the vin is a "B", so no DPF-excellent news.

According to the on line service history, the transmission fluid, transfer case fluid and rear diff fluid were replaced @10 yrs/39kmiles, so assuming the info is accurate, I see those as a bonus.

Only other possible issue is the rear passenger door lock-the lock doesn't work to unlock the door when the car stops, but it does work when you unlock the doors using the fob. Could that just be the child lock doing its job or is there a problem?

All in all, and despite a few relatively minor issues we know about the car looks and drives really well and as long as it's looked after I'm sure there's plenty of life and enjoyment left in it.

Thanks for the replies, especially on resolving DPF/no DPF query.

Post #438401 13th Jan 2024 5:55 pm
Nodge68

The rear door issue will be the actuator assembly. Not unlocking when it should is a warning it's going to fail completely. It's best to change it before it stops unlocking, as the door will be locked permanently, meaning the door needs stripping while it's closed. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.

Post #438404 13th Jan 2024 7:56 pm
Dartman the one

England 

That's not quite true, by holding the lock lever open and continually pressing the unlock on the key fob or the unlock on the dash it will unlock my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #438406 13th Jan 2024 10:26 pm
Nodge68

Unfortunately if both lock motors fail, the lock won't unlock regardless of how many times the buttons are pressed.
If this happens the door card and then window needs removing, so the energy release on the lock can be manually operated. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.

Post #438407 13th Jan 2024 10:43 pm
Fraserthomas

United States 

It would be great if you could share some pictures of your new ride.

Post #438863 27th Jan 2024 4:37 pm
NeilTD4

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Lago Grey

Sounds like a good buy on the face of it and yes, pictures are required Very Happy

My previous Freelander 2 replaced a Subaru Forester 2 litre petrol auto which I felt like I was forever at the fuel station with...

I find the Freelander more relaxing to drive and I'm now on my second...

Post #438864 27th Jan 2024 5:19 pm
OLOSTEVE

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Firenze Red

KeithB wrote:
Just got home from collecting the car-100 motorway miles without incident so off to a good start anyway.

It's an auto so will be a bit thirsty but it's replacing a 2ltr petrol auto Subaru Forester, which died after 97k, so will be an improvement fuel wise on that!

The 8th character of the vin is a "B", so no DPF-excellent news.

According to the on line service history, the transmission fluid, transfer case fluid and rear diff fluid were replaced @10 yrs/39kmiles, so assuming the info is accurate, I see those as a bonus.

Only other possible issue is the rear passenger door lock-the lock doesn't work to unlock the door when the car stops, but it does work when you unlock the doors using the fob. Could that just be the child lock doing its job or is there a problem?

All in all, and despite a few relatively minor issues we know about the car looks and drives really well and as long as it's looked after I'm sure there's plenty of life and enjoyment left in it.

Thanks for the replies, especially on resolving DPF/no DPF query.

I get 32mpg out of my 2013 td Auto and doesn't seem to matter how I drive.

Post #438885 28th Jan 2024 12:30 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1