« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Haldex mistery
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Ah. was confusing yours with the OPs 🫢
Coincidentally the old "Gearbox fault traction reduced" has reared its head again with mine. Hopefully it will just be haldex oil change and filter to sort it out, it was last time.
I'll not muddy the waters on this thread by posting anymore about it! Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #437330 27th Nov 2023 6:06 pm
Arctic

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Quote:
Ah. was confusing yours with the OPs 🫢
Coincidentally the old "Gearbox fault traction reduced" has reared its head again with mine. Hopefully it will just be haldex oil change and filter to sort it out, it was last time.
I'll not muddy the waters on this thread by posting anymore about it!

Hi Bob.
Please do muddy the waters, i was referring to myself adding to this thread about my Haldex problems, hopefully we can follow the thread easy enough if not then ask as i did Wink

Did you remove your Haldex last time to get it sorted, if it was not the fact i only have to wait 51/2 weeks to have mine looked at by Bell Engineering it would be coming off, i may try again to remove the pump and filter before the.

Post #437347 28th Nov 2023 12:43 am
Bobupndown

Yes I removed the haldex to do it. On the later gen 4 haldex on the freelander 2 they have a large flange where the propshaft connects to the diff. This prevents removal of the pump so the only option is to take the propshaft off then remove the entire haldex unit then take the flange off to allow the pump to come out. It's actually not too bad a job, just frustrating that you have to do that for something so simple. The fact that LR do not include a drain plug means that this way all the oil will drain too. Its simple to change the main filter while it's out as well. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

Post #437353 28th Nov 2023 8:25 am
Bobupndown

Double post deleted. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

Last edited by Bobupndown on 28th Nov 2023 7:20 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #437354 28th Nov 2023 8:26 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

I had the extra large flange that prevents the pump from being taken out in situ.

When I was last at Bell Eng. they swapped the flange for the smaller one FOC as "it makes no discernible difference" and makes future servicing easier.

I can concur that the changing to the smaller flange is undetectable from inside the car. Jules

Post #437355 28th Nov 2023 10:16 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

I imagine the only reason it changed to the larger flange was because that was how Haldex Traction began supplying the Gen 4 to JLR. Jules

Post #437356 28th Nov 2023 10:18 am
Arctic

Bobupndown wrote:
Yes I removed the haldex to do it. On the later gen 4 haldex on the freelander 2 they have a large flange where the propshaft connects to the diff. This prevents removal of the pump so the only option is to take the propshaft off then remove the entire haldex unit then take the flange off to allow the pump to come out. It's actually not too bad a job, just frustrating that you have to do that for something so simple. The fact that LR do not include a drain plug means that this way all the oil will drain too. Its simple to change the main filter while it's out as well.
Quote:
I'll be doing mine next week. Can take photos as I do so if anyone is interested.

Hi Bob.
yes please do take photos if you have time, they would be great, the old saying photos say a thousand words, i did notice on my FL(Orkney grey) that the large flange had been ground a little on the edge maybe to help remove the pump.

It's supposed to be this plunger that gives the trouble so i have read.

Note first photo shows the old pump this pic below shows new pump, a month later.

Post #437360 28th Nov 2023 11:21 am
Arctic

Haldex Scrabbling /Grabbing Fix

I removed my ECU & N373 valve it was sent off to Matthew at Auto Fault Finder, he tested the valve it was fine, he also did the scrabble fix.

Two day turn round the ECU & valve landed back home, fitted and upon my first drive the grabbing & scrabbling is not there, another for more drives to be sure was suggested by Matt.

I also bought some Haldex oil from him, new filter which is the correct one not Chinese copy.

Post #437590 7th Dec 2023 1:45 am
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

Hi Artic, had mine ' fixed' by Bell, and also thought strange no warranty and now got my slipping noise back already. Censored If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #437622 8th Dec 2023 11:57 am
Arctic

Quote:
Hi Artic, had mine ' fixed' by Bell, and also thought strange no warranty and now got my slipping noise back already. Censored

Click the link below and send Matt a message i'm sure he will be able to help, i am no longer going to Bell Engineering the cost is to high for a not very good fix by the sounds of it, all they would be doing is removing the Haldex clean the plates and ports, maybe add a new filter check the pump is working fit it back to the car and the fix has no guarantee or warranty does not make sense tom at all.

Is your Haldex a gen 4 or gen 3.

If a Gen 4 then do the test Matt outlines on his site.

https://www.haldexrepairs.co.uk/land-rover...solutions/

Unplug the large connector to the ECU leave for 20mins then drive the car has the noise or scrabbling gone, if so then the Haldex is most likely all in good order the ECU needs to be looked at & the N373 valve.

I had a courtesy call from Matt early tonight asking how it was performing, and to get a few more on on the car including doing some tight circles, then drop him an email and he would ring me back to see if i was completely satisfied with the outcome, until then he would not accept any payment, you cannot say better than that.

The little driving i have done since re-fitting the ECU and N373 which Matt tested and said the valve was fine, the car is driving has it should no grabbing or scrabbling and seems to not be holding back as it was before.

Post #437644 8th Dec 2023 7:01 pm
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

Diolch Artic, sorry for delay in reply but not on here much due to some health stuff again but will certainly get that ECU unplugged and try the test.

My strange squealing noise is not something I would regard as the same haldex noise I had last time though and definitely seems left hand side of car but only after car is warm after driving for a bit and sometimes pulling away too quickly.

Nadolig Llawen [/i] If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #437881 20th Dec 2023 10:07 am
blaster1232

Latvia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Santorini Black

Got around to solving (hopefully) my issue. Got a refurbished PTU (350 EUR), sleeve (Britpart, 160 EUR), corteco seals and fluids for manual gearbox and PTU (80 EUR).

Step by step on how to remove the PTU and angle sleeve:

1) Remove right hand side wheel
2) Remove brake caliper, hang it in the spring using hook or whatever else
3) remove ABS sensor
4) Remove tie rod
5) use copper/aluminum stick and try to hammer on cv axle, just to get it moving
6) Remove 3 bolts holding lower wishbone of car (you can also leave the wishbone in, and just remove the ball joint from steering knuckle, but i find removing wishbone easier)
7) undo the bolt behind the shock absorber, spread the steering knuckle, take out the cv axle, remove it from strut and take the whole steering knuckle-wishbone part out
Cool Remove lower engine mount
9) Remove clamp holding in the cv axle middle bearing
10) remove the cv axle with a sharp pull
11) Remove the cv axle mount that mounts to engine
12) Undo propshaft bolts, disconnect propshaft from PTU
13) Undo PTU bolts, disconnect the breather hose on the top of PTU, remove PTU
14) now you can see the angle sleeve and fun can begin. They come off quite easily on automatic gearboxes, hell on manuals. I tried some vicegrips to no avail, then used angle grinder and dremel to cut 3 deep grooves 120 degrees apart so that a 3leg pulley would fit.
15) put 38mm socket or (in my case) brake caliper piston in the old sleeve, so that you would have something to push against
16) do your best to get the sleeve out. Took me 3 hours - heating with blowtorch, dealing with pulley. Eventually i took a 1,2m long breakers bar, pulled with both hands, and when i felt that something is going to break, i started hammering the sleeve. Presto, it started to move milimeter by milimeter.
17) to be continued. I still havent put it all together.

EDIT : You do not have to remove the intercooler-turbochager pipe. I just disconnected one end from turbo and it gave me enough room to remove the PTU.

Post #437974 26th Dec 2023 2:47 pm
blaster1232

Latvia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Santorini Black

Ok, finished the PTU and sleeve replacement. For putting things together, everything was pretty much the reverse order as for removing the PTU. Two pieces of advice:

1) I wrote that I removed steering knuckle and lower wishbone as one piece, but this was a mistake. You simply cannot put it back as one piece. If you attach the strut first, you cannot install the wishbone, if you install the wishbone first, you cannot attach the strut. Therefore, you have to remove the wishbone ball joint from steering knuckle.

2) My replacement PTU came from Volvo (same part number though), and instead of having a place to connect breather pipe, it had a built-in breather valve, so I just blanked the breather pipe.

Post #437994 28th Dec 2023 12:13 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Is the breather valve to stop water ingress as the PTU will probably be lower than the open end of the breather pipe which would be high enough to wade safely?

Post #437996 28th Dec 2023 1:13 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Double post

Post #437997 28th Dec 2023 2:29 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>