Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Roof rail gaskets & cross bar rubber
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ax7

Australia 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Fuji White
Roof rail gaskets & cross bar rubber

Hi all,

Recently purchase a 2014 SD4 and couldn't be happier. I picked up a set of genuine roof rails and cross bars from a wrecker, however some bits are missing or perished. Namely, the rubber gaskets under the roof rail feet at the four corners (the mid / cross brace are there) and the rubber in the cross bars where they clamp to the rails.

I tried Land Rover with no luck, but short of buying the full fitting kit from John Craddock (£60.85, more rail parts than I need and nothing for the cross bars) is it possible just to get these from somewhere? Or has anyone had any luck fabricating them?

Many thanks.

Post #433304 13th Jun 2023 5:53 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Just get a bit of medium firm rubber & make a bit bigger footprint. I can look at Bunnings for you & see if they have anything appropriate & post the link of product.

Once screwed down properly they will be ok. There are bigger issues with the roof rails.

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic35376.html Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #433306 13th Jun 2023 7:19 am
DEG5Y

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Unfortunately, your just out of luck! I've just replaced the set I fitted 6 yrs ago due to paint flake.

I also needed one of the foot covers, the only place that seemed to be selling them wanted £40 so I thought I might as well put that £40 towards a new set.

Post #433313 13th Jun 2023 3:51 pm
ax7

Thanks Lightwater. I'll get something like below from Bunnings and cut to shape.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/moroday-100-x-...l_p4000081

Racks will mostly be used for bicycle hauling, so probably won't see as much off-road use as it seems yours have. I'll loctite all the relevant bolts in any instance.

Next problem I've got is I seem to be missing one top end cover from the cross bars - impossible to find unless anyone has a spare!?

Post #433319 14th Jun 2023 7:15 am
L359Andy

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Loire Blue

These would be good items to 3D print if anyone can get a scan

Post #433320 14th Jun 2023 8:31 am
Lightwater

That roll at Bunning looks the best I could see.

A bit tricky the missing end cap. The alternative solutions will probably cost more than the original entire crossbar.

If the 4 rail caps do not snap & lock on properly. Use a bit of gaffer tape to hold then on. I lost one somewhere in Western Australia & had to buy a new set of 4, expensive. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #433322 14th Jun 2023 10:17 am
ax7

L359Andy wrote:

How would one go about scanning it for a print? Once it's in 3D I'm handy in Rhino and could tweak the 3D model to get it right...

Post #433324 14th Jun 2023 11:23 am
Lightwater

I do (retired) Lightwave. The end cap is pretty basic. Mount it on a block & use a square & rulers to get key reference points from known 0 XYZ origin. You only need to measure half & mirror it. You should be able to do a really top quality mesh in a day. Off hand I don't know how thick the object is, but let's say 2mm, so just thicken the outside shape towards the inside by 2mm.

To double check, set up an SLR camera preferably with fixed focal length lens, longer the better, from 2 different known positions, distance from nodal point & photograph object. Remap images for lens correction.

Project images onto 3d object in 3d space from known reference points. You will see if there are any hit or miss spots.

Better still just get the dimensions right first time!

Or:

If you have a long fixed lens, photograph square on (do lens correction) top, bottom, north, south & you only need one side. Scale to the right size placing in 3d space in the background & build object from different views.

A combination of both processes will be the best solution.

I'm sure you know, no long narrow polygons, weld all points, remove any double polygons on top of each other. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Last edited by Lightwater on 14th Jun 2023 1:25 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #433327 14th Jun 2023 12:20 pm
L359Andy

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Loire Blue

ax7 wrote:
L359Andy wrote:

How would one go about scanning it for a print? Once it's in 3D I'm handy in Rhino and could tweak the 3D model to get it right...

There's now some really good handheld scanners coming into the hobby market. Very simply wave it about and it out puts an *.stl file for CAD. Finding someone with one is the hard bit

Post #433331 14th Jun 2023 1:25 pm
ax7

To close this out, gaskets needed cut from the rubber roll I linked before and appear to have worked.

The end caps I had on the cross bars had the Land Rover logo AND 'Sweden' stamped on the inside. Got me thinking given this was a shared platform. Can confirm Vovlo V70/XC70 and V90/XC90 cross bars are the same and the end caps fit!

Post #433523 22nd Jun 2023 3:15 am
Lightwater

On the back of the rubber strip on the top of the cross bar it's printed Volvo.

Back of the boot light it says Ford. One could say the car's breeding is a Forolvo, a bit of a mongrel!

Keep an eye on this spot on the rear mount. It was rubbing the roof. I popped in a large galvanized washer to lift the bracket a couple of mm.
 Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #433524 22nd Jun 2023 3:30 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1