« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Lack of Skills For Modern Electronics
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Rommel wrote:
Do you know what , now that I am retired and do not drive anywhere very much now days, I am seriously thinking of getting a MGB purely for the simplicity of it. No ECU, no DPF, no complicated electronics, no Engine management light ECT, If it goes wrong just get the spanners out and I can fix it, all the parts are available. and NO road tax to pay or ULEZ cheap insurance.
No depreciation either.

I see an older (obviously retired) man regularly driving a lovely '66 MGB roadster about Ballymena. Not just on sunny days he seems to use it year round. No depreciation, simple to maintain.
My own beloved little '63 Mini isn't really practical for daily commuting or as the family car. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #433118 5th Jun 2023 6:02 pm
lrman

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Baltic Blue

In a way though, modern car electronics does make it easier.
eg I just plugged a code reader into my FL2 and it reported an open circuit heater on the lambda sensor. So, a quick check to make sure there is no blown fuse or wiring issue and I will be fitting a new sensor. Not much skill needed there.
Compare to another example, an old lotus I used to own. Used to hesitate at about 2000rpm when accelerating. To fix that you would have to know how the dellorto idle jets affected progression, to fix that I had to find someone who really was a guru on carbs. Wink

Of course this assumes you can get access to the diagnostics kit and the wiring diagrams you will probably need to fault find.
So from a DIYer point of view electronics can be a problem, just because of the kit needed. On the other hand from a garages point of view it *should* be much easier and require less training. No longer do they need years of experience. Just point them at the diagnostics kit and a repair manual.

In this respect I think the issue is with the manufacturers. The systems might be more complex but they have *much* more ability to help you diagnose a problem which should more than compensate. There is no reason why repair manuals shouldn't have nice easy to follow diagnostics processes that even a trained monkey could follow. But invariably they do not. More like a manual full of cryptic diagrams and very little words and certainly no clear diagnostic procedures.
Just lazyness by the manufacturers imho. Easier for them to push the problem onto the dealers who get by with some basic diagnostics and then ask for the customer to pay to load up the parts cannon...... FL2 2007 2.2d Auto SE. Baltic Blue.

Post #433121 5th Jun 2023 9:16 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12