Home > General > Steering ‘twitchy’
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
JW1995

United Kingdom 
Steering ‘twitchy’

Hi!

I’m new here and hoping to buy a Freelander 2 very soon. Seen a few now and today saw one that seems almost perfect. The only thing that is worrying me is it is a little ‘twitchy’ when going round roundabouts, the steering just very gently try’s to pull back. The car also pulls left slightly when the steering is straight but I put this down to tracking. I have read about various steering issues with the Freelander but cannot find any one else that has had this issue which leads me to think maybe it’s a non issue..

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated, quite keen to get into a Freelander now but don’t want to take on someone else’s problems!

Post #432008 23rd Apr 2023 9:27 pm
Dartman the one

England 

Steering to the left or right can be just a sticking pad, mine started to do this in Cyprus because we never braked hard, I just used to stamp on the brakes hard when it appeared, that cured it, perhaps the the apparent twitchy steering is part of the same problem. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #432009 23rd Apr 2023 9:57 pm
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Check for tyre wear and tyre pressures.

Post #432010 23rd Apr 2023 10:26 pm
JW1995

United Kingdom 

Ok guys thank you for the replies. I’ll have to look into that! In the back of my mind I worry it’s steering rack related!

Post #432035 24th Apr 2023 7:27 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red
Re: Steering ‘twitchy’

JW1995 wrote:
Hi!

I’m new here and hoping to buy a Freelander 2 very soon. Seen a few now and today saw one that seems almost perfect. The only thing that is worrying me is it is a little ‘twitchy’ when going round roundabouts, the steering just very gently try’s to pull back. The car also pulls left slightly when the steering is straight but I put this down to tracking. I have read about various steering issues with the Freelander but cannot find any one else that has had this issue which leads me to think maybe it’s a non issue..

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated, quite keen to get into a Freelander now but don’t want to take on someone else’s problems!

It could be lots of things; tyres, suspension bushes, tracking and brakes.
Which model ? How many miles ?
What did the last service / MOT say ? Jules

Post #432037 24th Apr 2023 8:02 pm
JW1995

United Kingdom 

So it’s a 61 plate sd4 le sport and it has done 98k miles. last MOT was completely clear. No sign of any issues with it other than that!

Post #432038 24th Apr 2023 8:29 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

JW1995 wrote:
Ok guys thank you for the replies. I’ll have to look into that! In the back of my mind I worry it’s steering rack related!

A steering rack won't cause it to be twitchy or pull. Both those issues could be down to wheel alignment, but could also be normal for the wheel/tyre combination fitted.
My steering is very accurate, and it tracks straight, but it's also pretty quick and light compared to the wife's VW Eos. I don't need to turn the Freelander wheel much to change direction, but in the Eos, it needs more wheel movement to turn the same corners.

You can't rule out anything, but unless it's had the suspension geometry set recently, then it's likely to be out to some extent. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #432039 24th Apr 2023 9:38 pm
JW1995

United Kingdom 

That is incredibly helpful thank you!!

Post #432040 24th Apr 2023 9:41 pm
Paul4751

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Alaska White

This may be relevant;
WROTE THIS IN MAY '22

Had Continental's cross contact as per original spec fitted in 2016; did 39,400 on deliberately downsized 17" wheels, across the whole of Europe, alps, Pyrenees, etc. Fantastic tyre, secure, smooth, stable. Changed them in 2019 for Pirelli all season; what a disaster. Thought there was something seriously wrong with alignment or steering mech,, had it checked three times. Car wandered all over the place with every change of road surface, potholes, white lines etc. I could even tell the sex of a dead bird! They failed MOT after 23,000 and changed back to Contis in May. What a staggering difference; the car is immediately back to it's stable, secure positive self with no wandering issues. Speak as you find by Continentals are now my default tyre.

Post #432044 25th Apr 2023 6:13 am
JW1995

United Kingdom 

Thankyou for that, interesting the massive difference tyres can make on the FL2! It does actually have contis on all 4 corners though!

Post #432045 25th Apr 2023 6:43 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Paul4751 wrote:
This may be relevant;
WROTE THIS IN MAY '22

Had Continental's cross contact as per original spec fitted in 2016; did 39,400 on deliberately downsized 17" wheels, across the whole of Europe, alps, Pyrenees, etc. Fantastic tyre, secure, smooth, stable. Changed them in 2019 for Pirelli all season; what a disaster. Thought there was something seriously wrong with alignment or steering mech,, had it checked three times. Car wandered all over the place with every change of road surface, potholes, white lines etc. I could even tell the sex of a dead bird! They failed MOT after 23,000 and changed back to Contis in May. What a staggering difference; the car is immediately back to it's stable, secure positive self with no wandering issues. Speak as you find by Continentals are now my default tyre.

I also think that the FL2 on the larger 19 inch wheels is quite sensitive to 'Tramlining', that is that it tends to follow any ruts, or imperfections, of road surface. I put this down to the shorter (and perhaps, on some makes, stiffer) tyre walls on these 'performance' tyres.

It's the price you pay for more accurate reactions to steering input.

On the (ancient?) cross-ply tyres this used to be a very common characteristic as the wheels got bigger and better methods of steering began to be used. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #432046 25th Apr 2023 9:53 am
JW1995

United Kingdom 

So, the tracking and tyre pressures were all sorted before I bought the car. I test drove and the issues I had before were all gone! So this gave me faith that all was well in relation to the steering. Anyway got the car home and over the last few days have noticed that when the car warms up the steering goes heavy when parking etc at low speed.

Having done a bit of research I thought that maybe a reservoir and fluid change would cure it, I did this yesterday and although the steering feels better initially, again when hot it goes heavy.. there are no worrying noises that I can notice either.

I am now worried it is either the pump or rack now. Anyone have any thoughts?

Post #432347 7th May 2023 8:05 pm
Chrism551

2012 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Are your hoses in good condition? A few on here have had issues with power steering and changed pumps and racks and its been the hoses? Mine still gives issues but it will be getting a full overhaul in the coming months. Does your car wander or the steering wheel move excessively over minor bumps in the road if you let go of the steering wheel?

Post #434090 16th Jul 2023 5:17 pm
Jagracer

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Bali Blue

It was the Bevel box and Coupling on my 2009 FL2, it also grabbed on the back when cornering. I had the rear diff. and Haldex done as well to be sure. My daughter has the car now, and its got a shock absorber going now.

Post #434098 16th Jul 2023 8:21 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1