Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > The Replacement for my FL2 finally arrived
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Kevinw

United Kingdom 

Already ordered the spray on liner. I know what you mean about delivery times ordered mine in dec21, hopefully picking it up after Easter

Post #431396 3rd Apr 2023 8:44 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Brilliant , Great Minds and all that . Definitely the best colour , the only downside is that you’ll have to put aside a couple of days to set up all the variables and learn the controls Rolling with laughter that’s my job for tomorrow and Wednesday , plus a call to Gearmate to have a chat about some bits and bobs for the back . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #431397 3rd Apr 2023 8:52 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

MartynB wrote:
My idea of sleeping under the stars is looking at the number of them engraved on a hotel nameplate.

Sleeping under the stars down under: spiders, snakes, mosquitoes, lizards, crocodiles & ants (they are seriously painful, bloody torture for days)

Click image to enlarge

Inland Taipan, have seen a few Red Belly Black Snakes go past our feet in the evening Shocked

Click image to enlarge

Ammunition doesn't help.

Click image to enlarge

(Photoshop image as they attack you from 20 paces)
Click image to enlarge

Survival option!
Click image to enlarge

& then you never know if this is an issue!
Click image to enlarge
 Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #431401 3rd Apr 2023 10:27 pm
MartynB

Bobupndown wrote:
At last!
Be interested to hear your views on it once you've driven it for a while. Good luck!

Here we go Bob , thoughts after a month of ownership of a pick up .

Nice cabin , all leather seats , all heated , good sound system with the all important Apple Car play , so I can use waze and Spotify . More technology and driver aids than I need , cruise , radar , gps emergency tracking and rescue via phone link , lane departure assist , trailer sway, Traffic sign recognition . Great driving position , commanding view , doddle to park with 360 camera system , although you need more than one car length at the supermarket .

The biggest thing anyone will notice with a ladder chassis , leaf sprung pick up is the choppy ride over potholed urban roads . Compared to the FL2 or Outback it’s not in the same league , however after a month leaning how to apply the power it can be mitigated . Obviously the vehicle can carry a tonne in the back so loading would would further improve the ride . In a few weeks it’s getting a set of custom sliding drawers and deck slides , so there will be some more weight . On the motorway it’s smooth , not quite Fl2 and certainly not Outback gliding , but better than a lot of cars I’ve driven . Very quiet .

MPG . Returning 31 average mixed running , ( FL2 auto 28 , Outback 38 ) of course there is Adblue to consider . This is with nice smooth driving but not bad for a 2.8 Auto . I’ll do a 350 mile motorway trip to get the bed fitted out so I’m expecting ssy 33/35 on that run .

Power .. lots of it 200 horse , 500 Nm torque , pushes a two tonne , 17’3” long vehicle faster than you’d use ( around 10 secs 60) , but joining motorways and overtaking grunt , there’s more than enough . It’s got a limited top speed which in real life you’ll never use but you have to be careful it will drift from 70 to 80 in a blink ( must rember to set the speed warning ! ) One thing you must remember though is most pickups follow 3.5 tonne speed limits , so 50 in NSL , 60 on a dual carriageway .

Off road . I’ve used it fishing/shooting on two off road routes I used the FL2 on . It’s a monster . 2WD -hi 4 -low 4 - rear diff lock , hill descent . A real tough 4x4 for every challenge. hands down more capable than my FL2 or Scooby , It was a breeze .
However the Fl2 was worth 3 grand and I didn’t mind if I broke it so there were places I’d take it that this truck will never go .

Utility , great for my hobbies , will be even better when it gets a drawer system . Problems , I’m going to fit a tail gate assist the gate is heavy .. telling friends you’re not going to take their stuff to the tip ! . Access to the bed is easy as the hardtop side windows are gull wing .

All in all , I’m enjoying it . It has to stay for a year under the terms of the discount scheme it was bought on . I’ve had my tool box out , fitted a CatLoc kit , and I’ve fitted front and rear dashcams ( due to the value of the vehicle , I will never be a dashcam warrior ) , particularly impressed that the rear camera works through the black glass !

Anyway that’s about all . Will I want it in a year ? , who knows , but at the moment I grin every time I climb into the cab . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

Post #432189 1st May 2023 10:10 am
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Glad you're enjoying it. Thought the mpg would have been closer to 25 on this so that's pretty decent. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #432191 1st May 2023 10:59 am
MartynB

I’m sure you could be right about mid 20s , at the moment I’m like Miss Daisy’s driver ! If I drove it with a bit more spirit .. 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

Post #432192 1st May 2023 12:16 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Hopefully DPF issue has been fixed.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-04-07/fed.../100973328 Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #432193 1st May 2023 1:21 pm
MartynB

Like all Euro 6 diesel’s manufacturers , Toyota have in the past been less than honest with their customers about emissions . The big scandals seem to have been in Aus for Toyota , and globally for the likes of VW . Subaru actually pulled out of the diesel market totally despite 90% of vehicles coming to Northern Europe being requested as diesels . The whole technology is flawed . Having said that I’ve covered 77,000 totally trouble free miles in my Subaru Outback and only ever had one DPF warning . If you interrogated the ECU on the Scooby you’d probably see a dozen failed regens for every successful one . One major issue is that the U.K. road speed limits don’t allow the possibility of a high speed long distance cruise at 90mph which would be beneficial . If you check any diesel car forum you’d see issues with DPF , including LandRover , oil dilution being one of the most frequent . As far as the U.K. Hi-Lux from 2015 to 2019 goes , there has not been a scandal as in Aus . I don’t know if that’s because different markets get different software as the vehicles come from different plants , the U.K. being South Africa for the pick ups not Thailand .

I’m not worried , I’ve got farming mates running the series 8 Hilux , no issues , so I don’t foresee one with the 2021 on spec engines . There is a Regen gauge , it’s popped up 3 times in 700 miles . There’s also a forced regen switch , which is probably handier than sticking it in Sport Shift 3 and ragging the Censored off down the m62 like I did with the Scooby! . OK I’ll have to see how it goes on oil dilution . If I have problems , I’ll move it on after 12 months and make a profit . Strongest residuals on the pick up market in the U.K. and likely to stay that way . It’s not fashionable to say , but I like diesels despite all the polar bears losing their icebergs . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

Post #432201 1st May 2023 5:36 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12