« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > My Freelander 2 > FL2 costs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
FL2 costs

Just in the process of confirming the order for my FL2 replacement. Have been delayed a couple of weeks waiting for the fleet folks to process updated Volvo price information, they're just changing to Model Year 2010.

Here is the stark (and sad) reality of the situation. The V70 I'm looking at has a list price a couple of hundred pounds more than FL2 GS, however the monthly lease cost of the FL2 is 47% more than the Volvo. Shocked

Most of the difference is accounted for by the (massive) difference is residual values. At 30 months the LR2 is showing 36% while the Volvo is at 53%.

Sorry folks, I know this is not good news but this is the grim reality and is the reason why I can't replace my FL2 with another one. Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #42014 15th May 2009 5:14 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Volvo is at 53%. Rolling with laughter good luck to that salesman no-one will stump that much up for a second hand Volvo in 3 yrs. Who makes these figure up? That size of car rarely keeps that value even the 'premium' ones At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #42016 15th May 2009 8:17 am
chicken george

http://www.whatcar.com/depreciation-index....&ED4=0 At work
At home

Post #42017 15th May 2009 8:27 am
zone30

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Santorini Black

Just added the BMW X3 for fun. Does that one drop in price. After 1 year the 5700 you pay more as new, drops to 1500 more worth making almost the same value as a FL2.

You'd better be off with an FL2 as it not only looks better, is at least here in Belgium quite rare and keeps it's value better.

Post #42019 15th May 2009 8:42 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
avtur

chicken george wrote:
Volvo is at 53%. Rolling with laughter good luck to that salesman no-one will stump that much up for a second hand Volvo in 3 yrs. Who makes these figure up? That size of car rarely keeps that value even the 'premium' ones

I understand your cynicism but our lists are updated on a monthly basis with real world figures, actual disposal prices. The fleet organisations have taken a real hit in the recent past as they didn’t anticipate what a crap year 2008 was going to be. They certainly can’t afford to be optimistic on forecast values now.

Having been watch our list closely for the past 6 months or so I can see trends developing that are becoming much more model specific, for example the particular V70 I’m going for is a 2.0D, this model offers the best residual of all V70’s which helps to keep lease cost quite reasonable. I guess that CO2 and VED grouping have impact on this, hence the 2.0D stands up well in the depreciation stakes. Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!

Post #42021 15th May 2009 9:14 am
avtur

chicken george wrote:
http://www.whatcar.com/depreciation-index....&ED4=0

Thats a very useful tool Thumbs Up

I can see where the differences are, our 30 month residual values are showing £8700 for the FL2 and £12900 for the V70, that’s difference of £4200, where the Whatcar guide shows them level pegging.

On our system the FL2 value is clearly very pessimistic and the V70 slightly optimistic. Given that our fleet operator will have caught a real cold with my current car then I guess they’re pricing to avoid any repetition, but in doing that they are also pricing the car out of existence. For reasons that I can’t explain they have much more confidence in the future value of the V70, certainly in its 2.0d guise. Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!

Post #42023 15th May 2009 9:34 am
jutrem

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Tonga Green
Re: FL2 costs

avtur wrote:

Most of the difference is accounted for by the (massive) difference is residual values. At 30 months the LR2 is showing 36% while the Volvo is at 53%.

In Canada and the US the 3 year (36 month) residual is ~ 55% on the LR2 / Freelander 2. It's the highest in it's class along with the Range Rover Sport. The lowest priced used LR2 that I have seen advertised recently is ~ $27,000 CDN for a 2008 LR2 (lighting pack, no Navigation) with 100,000 KM mileage. The vehicle was also out of warranty (4years or 80, 000 KM) . That is about 60% if the purchase price was around $45,000 CDN .The average used 1-2 year old LR2 under warranty goes around mid $30K's .

Post #42238 21st May 2009 6:01 pm
chicken george

The Volvos higher percentage must be down to a discounted purchase price on the new car ?? At work
At home

Post #42242 21st May 2009 7:35 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1