« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Head lamp plug - pin numbers/diagram
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Wicken

United Kingdom 
Head lamp plug - pin numbers/diagram

Hi...does anyone have a diagram of which pin numbers relate to which aspect of the headlamp. I have a 9/2013 eD4 (DH36xxxx) B&W edition, facelift version. I'm trying to fit new fog lights from scratch. I was wondering if I could use the new 'relay to switch' wire to connect direct to say the front left headlamp (dipped beam cable) by way of a quick splice scotch lock wire connector, with a view to the fog lamps turning on when I put my dipped headlamps on. Does this make any sense, or have I got it all wrong? It's my first go at car electrics. Experts please advise. Thanks.

Post #419191 4th Mar 2022 6:01 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

Fogs work on side lights, so you need to get your power the side light circuit. Thumbs Up

Although surely it's better to install the factory system. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #419201 4th Mar 2022 10:03 pm
Wicken

United Kingdom 

Thanks for your reply. Are the fog lamps powered via the 'side lights' circuit for any particular reason? I don't want them coming on with just the side lights on.

If this is the only circuit they can run on, do you know what the side light headlamp wire colour or pin number is for my vehicle (September 2013 facelift with led running lights, signature side lights with a single projector bulb DH36XXXX)?

Factory version very nice.... but very nice price too!

All advice is always gratefully received. Cheers.

Post #419203 4th Mar 2022 10:29 pm
seagull1

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Sumatra Black

Because you are not allowed to have fog or spot lights on without side lights on, stops it accidently happening.

Richard FL2 07 TD4 GS Auto
Ex 02 TD4 Auto

Post #419205 5th Mar 2022 12:45 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Nodge68

To comply with the vehicle lighting regulations, front frogs can only operate with side lights or headlights, so the lighting controls are configured that way. Also they must reset to off after the ignition has been cycled, or lights have been turned off.

Why not just retrofit the factory system? It won't be that expensive, and will retain the value of the vehicle, whereas aftermarket wiring changes generally have a detrimental effect on vehicle values. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.

Post #419206 5th Mar 2022 7:07 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

I can't remember that last time fog was so thick I need front fog lights to see where I was going. We don't seem to get bad fog around Warwickshire these days. Cleaner air and warmer climate I suppose, and I drive a lot less now I'm retired. Jules

Post #419210 5th Mar 2022 10:21 am
NoDo$h

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black
Re: Head lamp plug - pin numbers/diagram

Wicken wrote:
Hi...does anyone have a diagram of which pin numbers relate to which aspect of the headlamp. I have a 9/2013 eD4 (DH36xxxx) B&W edition, facelift version. I'm trying to fit new fog lights from scratch. I was wondering if I could use the new 'relay to switch' wire to connect direct to say the front left headlamp (dipped beam cable) by way of a quick splice scotch lock wire connector, with a view to the fog lamps turning on when I put my dipped headlamps on. Does this make any sense, or have I got it all wrong? It's my first go at car electrics. Experts please advise. Thanks.

MOT Regs for front fog lights

Quote:
4.5.3. Switching
Front and rear fog lamp switches may be combined or independent switches.

The switch or switches must:

be secure
be able to be operated from the normal driving position
operate the fog lamps as intended
Rear fog lamps may be combined with the rear position lamps. Front and rear fog lamps are permitted to operate independently of any other lamps or ignition systems.

You *must* have a switch that allows you to turn the fog lights on/off - they cannot come on simply through turning on your side or headlights. Current driveway contents:
2021 V60 Cross Country B5
2009 FL2 dog bus and shooting wagon

On Order: 2023 Fisker Ocean Ultra - deposit paid.

Post #419213 5th Mar 2022 12:37 pm
Wicken

United Kingdom 

Thanks for all your comments on fog and frog lamps. Rebbit Rebbit!

I know what you mean Jules. Hope that's not a recent or ancient photo, for that matter! I drive this vehicle mostly in France and there's loads of thick fog at night there...takes you right down to 30mph sometimes. Hence me looking to put them in now.

Cheers all....Julian

Post #419215 5th Mar 2022 3:10 pm
Nodge68

Fog lamps won't help you drive faster in fog, as they only light up the curbs, and a short distance in front of the vehicle.
Dips shine light further down the road, but as the light comes from higher up, there's more chance for light to be reflected back into the driver's eyes. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.

Post #419216 5th Mar 2022 5:21 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1