Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
yamaha-fan

Germany 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Corrosion protection Freelander 2

Long term Corrosion Protection Freelander 2
A question to the knowing Freelander experts:
are the metal sheets of the body shell of the Freelander 2 zink treated or what corrosion protection does Landrover apply? Looking at the paint quality I have seen little better so far, but Landrover is quiet about the
applied long term corrosion protection.
I ask this question because the rubber protection above all 4 wheels shows even after washing lots of white salt crystals when dried up, and I wonder if this may lead to some corrosion at some point of time.
Can anyone answer my querie?
Thanks
YF

Post #38899 16th Mar 2009 3:31 pm
jimmy

Denmark 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

can you send a picture, to show us what you mean............ Thumbs Up

Post #38909 16th Mar 2009 6:03 pm
SL1000

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

On a similar topic has anyone had problems with rusting of the fixings used on mudflap??

I had them fitted as an optional extra by the dealer and recently noticed on a 2 week old car that the washers were starting to rust on the front!

Is this just a case of them not paying attention and using the right parts for the fixing??
I have just sent a note to the dealer about it to see their response.
Sad
Regards,
Simon FL2 09 XS, Automatic, Santorini Black,
Privacy Glass, 19" Alloys, Tailgate Spoiler, Side Step, Mudflaps, Electric Black Leather/ Alcantra Seats

Post #38912 16th Mar 2009 6:24 pm
yamaha-fan

If you look at all 4 wings of our Freely 2 above the tyres you will find a black rubber-sort of-trim to protect the body metal from stone chips. This rubber-trim you can easily remove - and what you will find after this awful winter is a hell of a lot of salt and dirt sticking to the metal, particularely at the rear wings.
I have cleaned the wings carefully and also the rubber-trim. Then I have coated the inner metal part of the wings with a good anti corrosion product such as Liquid and Perma Film (www.korrosionsschutz-depot.de).
All work done in about 2 hours. Now the coating has to dry and then I will put the rubber trim back where is belongs. As the liquid and perma film products have a very good reputation to be extremely salt resistant, I hope that I have prevented any rusting for a long time.

YF

Post #39050 19th Mar 2009 5:24 pm
AndyT

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

That's very diligent of you YF, and a great idea - particularly if you're planning to keep the car for many years. I feel that I need to check the areas you mentioned as we have a lot of salt on the roads over winter here.
I would hope that Landrover have used very effective corrosion protection given where their vehicles can go, but any extra treatment can only be a good thing.

On a related matter, I have noticed some corrosion on the locking wheel nuts, but they are at least easily changed.

Post #39057 19th Mar 2009 7:12 pm
Hooky

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Sumatra Black

AndyT wrote:
I would hope that Landrover have used very effective corrosion protection given where their vehicles can go, but any extra treatment can only be a good thing.

Well I'm hoping anything that shows is treat better than the sub-frame and wishbones at the front. I was under my 07 for the first time yesterday and was shocked to see how much rust there is already. OK so these are seriously heavy gauge parts unlikely to rust right through in the time I will have the car but a poor show on a £20K+ motor. Sad Also available in Clean.

Post #39071 19th Mar 2009 9:58 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

I just removed the same trim and washed all around, easy job and there was heaps of mud/pieces of caravan stuck under there. I also removed the boot sill protecting piece and washed under there too

car looking shiney and bright, just like its owner Cool At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #39108 20th Mar 2009 3:32 pm
Alona

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

just like your picture on the left. Rolling with laughter 08 FL2 SE TD4 manual,Santorini Black, Factory fitted Black Tinted Glass, Anti-Tesco Trolly Side Protection, bebe confort axiss carseats & Cargo barrier to stop twin's buggy & junk coming through. NO Sweets Crisps or Drinks inside.
WITH TWINS, YOU DON'T HAVE MONEY Smile Now towing a Abbey Vouge 650 1800kg

Tug weight 1958kg + Roofrails & Towbar

Post #39111 20th Mar 2009 3:39 pm
FreeGreen

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tonga Green

yamaha-fan wrote:
If you look at all 4 wings of our Freely 2 above the tyres you will find a black rubber-sort of-trim to protect the body metal from stone chips. This rubber-trim you can easily remove - and what you will find after this awful winter is a hell of a lot of salt and dirt sticking to the metal, particularely at the rear wings.
I have cleaned the wings carefully and also the rubber-trim. Then I have coated the inner metal part of the wings with a good anti corrosion product such as Liquid and Perma Film (www.korrosionsschutz-depot.de).
All work done in about 2 hours. Now the coating has to dry and then I will put the rubber trim back where is belongs. As the liquid and perma film products have a very good reputation to be extremely salt resistant, I hope that I have prevented any rusting for a long time.

YF

Thanks for the advise, Yamaha-Fan.

I just checked those parts of FreeGreen as well and I did find some salt from your streets of Munich still Shocked , where the car had seen snow and tasted that salt in winter 2007/2008 (maybe a bit in Nov. 08 even ?). If there is any advantage at all driving down here in Montenegro, then it is the relatively low conent of salt on the streets (mainly sand and gravel are used her - which also has some impact on the car, of course, especially, when those stone chips are expelled from the tyres of trucks in front of you Crying or Very sad ) .

I dry-cleaned the metal parts (and I found a little rust already, unfortunately), cleaned the ruber trim as well and then I sprayed/wiped a thin oil film inside before remounting the rubber - that should help to prevent water from draining in deeply and drying off there. Your technique of applying an anti-corrosion coating will follow with a more detailed body check for FreeGreen in summer.

Regards
FreeGreen

Post #39139 21st Mar 2009 10:06 am
Hooky

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Sumatra Black

Also watch out for build up of grit and stuff in the trim between the painted finish on the back doors and the big rubber seal (at the bottom/wheel arch bit) Also available in Clean.

Post #39144 21st Mar 2009 11:32 am
waaxh03

Wales 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

I assume we are talking about the plastic inner wheel arch liners that stop the mud etc being thrown up onto the metal wing. I have often wonder why there are a few holes drilled through each of them, and if I should seal them up.
If these are what you are talking about, did you have much trouble refitting them and did you have to remove the wheel?

waaxh03

Post #39151 21st Mar 2009 6:25 pm
chicken george

no just the U shaped rubber trim that fits onto the inside of the wheel arch just after where it folds under the arch, there are six pieces in total, easily removed and refitted At work
At home

Post #39164 21st Mar 2009 10:37 pm
waaxh03

Wales 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Thanks CG
That sounds a bit easier.

waaxh03 Thumbs Up

Post #39166 22nd Mar 2009 12:35 am
yamaha-fan

After a long search now positive results:
The Freelander 2 is build from "double sided zinc coated steel panels"!!! Very good news.
For details klick "www.pressportal.com.au/news/345/ARTICLE/1940/2007-06-29.html"

YF

Post #39181 22nd Mar 2009 3:20 pm
chicken george

Thumbs Up At work
At home

Post #39182 22nd Mar 2009 3:24 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>