Print this entire topic · 
shiggsy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

But what do you consider fine ? 
Hung like Einstein, smart as a horse.

Post #391348 19th May 2020 1:06 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Lets say you take the car to the garage, most likely there will be a host of errors logged, so first job is clear the codes and drive around for a few days / weeks and see what is really at fault and what is historic errors.

Then you visit the garage again, and if there is a persistent fault you will get an estimation of cost.
So two visits to the garage and nothing done yet, for £150 you could get a single make hobby level diagnostics reader and save the time with the car in the garage. It doesn't make sense to me in this age of advanced (compared to 40 years ago) vehicle diagnostics, not having at least some basic fault code reader. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #391351 19th May 2020 3:07 pm
sid

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

its the original battery,no one goes to the dealer for a battery unless its warranty,and land rover don't make batts they just put their name on it Laughing Laughing

Last edited by sid on 19th May 2020 10:38 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #391354 19th May 2020 10:32 pm
sid

I had a knackerd battery on a car once that charged at 80amps permanently,alternator should drop to about 10amps at earth lead with an inductive amp meter once the charge has built up ,if the battery was flat and it wont take a proper charge it will show about 5 amps due to internal resistance.

Post #391355 19th May 2020 10:38 pm
RealBeale

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

Just sharing my experience of the 3 amigos.
Mine came on under acceleration on the motorway. It was late at night so didn't do anything about it until the next morning. I have an icarsoft LR V2.0 which told me there was a weak signal from the o/s/r speed sensor. I hadn't long had the lift kit fitted so put it down to maybe the cable being pulled when the lift kit was fitted. Cleared the faults , cleaned the sensor and everything was fine until about 3 months later when they came on again while accelerating on the M5 going on holiday. Cleared the faults on arrival and everything was fine . I bought a new speed sensor cable once home and asked my local garage to fit it as I was booked in for a complete rear brake overhaul including hand brake cables. All was well for a few weeks .
The next time it happened was on the way to have my haldex fluid changed at Bell Engineering. However, after Austen worked his magic doing the fluid change they went off and have been off ever since. Strange part is that I found the new sensor cable in the back of the passenger's seat earlier this year !
I've checked for codes on my icarsoft and these's nothing showing.

Post #391359 20th May 2020 12:38 am
Mudpuggler

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Santorini Black

shiggsy wrote:
But what do you consider fine ?

It's 13.6 v on idle and 12.2 v with engine off.

From what I can gather this means the alternator is charging the battery on idle and there is adequate charge when resting.

According to the huge (and sometimes conflicting) wealth of internet information available, this is perfectly normal.

Post #391365 20th May 2020 9:27 am
Mudpuggler

sid wrote:
its the original battery,no one goes to the dealer for a battery unless its warranty,and land rover don't make batts they just put their name on it Laughing Laughing

I would say that it is the original battery then. When I said there is o way or really telling, I meant it could have been taken from another vehicle at the off road dealership I purchased the car from. So it might be 12 years old or it could be 10 years or even 8 years old. No way of telling for certain.

I wonder how much Landrover would charge for a decal battery? Probably ~£1000 ahahahaha

Post #391366 20th May 2020 9:34 am
Mudpuggler

Andy131 wrote:
Lets say you take the car to the garage, most likely there will be a host of errors logged, so first job is clear the codes and drive around for a few days / weeks and see what is really at fault and what is historic errors.

Then you visit the garage again, and if there is a persistent fault you will get an estimation of cost.
So two visits to the garage and nothing done yet, for £150 you could get a single make hobby level diagnostics reader and save the time with the car in the garage. It doesn't make sense to me in this age of advanced (compared to 40 years ago) vehicle diagnostics, not having at least some basic fault code reader.

I'll look into it. Any particular brand that you particularly recommend?

Post #391367 20th May 2020 9:36 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

If your battery is 12.2 volts after 24 hours, replace it.

https://batteryuniversity.com/index.php/le..._of_charge
 Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #391372 20th May 2020 12:19 pm
Mudpuggler

I thought that as well, but these reading are taken at 26 degrees Celsius.

It is about 15 degrees Celsius here at the moment.

I'm not convinced replacing the battery will do anything as I've disconnected it for 20 minutes and the faults are still showing. The only way I will know is to have the fault codes read as suggested and get ready for a pain in the wallet if ABS pump is the culprit.

Cheers for all the advice and replies. Much appreciated. I will check back when solved.

Post #391374 20th May 2020 1:08 pm
sid

Lightwater wrote:
If your battery is 12.2 volts after 24 hours, replace it.

https://batteryuniversity.com/index.php/le..._of_charge
ditto

Post #391382 20th May 2020 5:53 pm
Mudpuggler

Any explanation as to why the warning lights came up whilst driving at 70mph after a 250 mile trip?

Saying 'replace the battery,' whilst this may be a good idea before winter, doesn't explain why the fault codes came up with a fully charged battery and a functioning alternator charging said battery on the journey.

The battery charge after 24 hours seems irrelevant to this discussion. Fault codes did not occur on start up as explained in original post. Would replacing the battery with a new one clear the faults?

Post #391391 20th May 2020 10:20 pm
Lightwater

There are some issues you have mentioned but personally I would remove the easy problems. Any idea why the car is idling at 13.6 volts. Mine is consistently 14.4 volts & so was my neighbour's Honda. 13.6 volts is not a bulk charge. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #391394 20th May 2020 11:06 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Mudpuggler wrote:
Any explanation as to why the warning lights came up whilst driving at 70mph after a 250 mile trip?

Saying 'replace the battery,' whilst this may be a good idea before winter, doesn't explain why the fault codes came up with a fully charged battery and a functioning alternator charging said battery on the journey.

The battery charge after 24 hours seems irrelevant to this discussion. Fault codes did not occur on start up as explained in original post. Would replacing the battery with a new one clear the faults?

Is it possible that you have a Battery Management Problem.

There is a blue wire that runs from the alternator which has been known to give problems.
see post in link from 'Refurb Pete'

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic27454.html?highlight=alternator

I keep an eye on my cars voltage from this display in my 12v extender.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Charger-Multi-Fun...B076V9VQPM FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #391395 20th May 2020 11:13 pm
Lightwater

Top right corner, week 18 year 13. The numbering system varies a lot to confuse everyone.
 Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #391396 20th May 2020 11:45 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>