Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Tyre size help please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
agroman

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey
Tyre size help please

Hi all
I need some more aggresive all terrain tyres for my 17inch rims. Currently have Toyo Open Country's. Which have been fine on road and for ware, however they don't match the old BFG AT's on my old Freel 1 off road.

Have found General Grabber AT2's available in 255 65 R17 size, they have a very similar tread pattern to the BFG AT's. The tyre calculator shows they will be half an inch bigger radius than the original. Speedo will read 3.5% slow, (actual 62.5mph shows as 60mph).

I ran a succession of Freel 1's on 215 70 R16 instead of the stock 215 65 R16 with no problems.

Has anyone got experience of fitting larger tyres to Freel 2? Will 255 fit without rubbing wheel arch under full lock / compression?

Any comments gratefully recieved, before I go and shell out 500 quid for a set! Big Cry

Thanks

Martin 1998 Feelander XDI Hardback - Gone
2002 Freelander TD4 GS Hardback - Gone
2004 Freelander TD4 HSE Stationwaggon - Gone
2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS manual - Gone
2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto - Gone
2013 SD4 GS arrived April 2013

Post #38181 5th Mar 2009 11:11 pm
rmbillington

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Sure someone has just got some Goodyear MTRs in 255/65 R19, or something like this, which is wider than standard.

Not sure of their results yet though
Rich

Post #38244 6th Mar 2009 11:36 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black
Re: Tyre size help please

agroman wrote:
Speedo will read 3.5% slow, (actual 62.5mph shows as 60mph).

I run my XS on the standard 17" and am quite amazed that the speedo reading actually agree with the sat-navs reading ..seems very rare for a car speedo to be correct.

I see you are an agronomist! Having troubles navigating farmers fields?
I spend 20 minutes today cooking the clutch whilst 'crop walking' in my ford ranger... the field turned out to be much wetter than I expected and the stupid 'fat boy' tyres gave no grip at all Rolling Eyes At one point I thought of tying the dogs lead to the front bumper so she could help to tow me out Laughing I'm sure the fl2 would have coped much better in the same conditions as a pickup like a ranger has no ability to brake the wheel that is spinning to send power to any wheel that is finding some grip. Basically I drove onto a wet grassy area and lost grip without actually sinking in, but the trucks basic 4x4 layout had no answers to the lack of grip and at any difficult the wheel with the least grip just span spewing mud all over the roof of the car.
I'm am waiting for the rear tyres on the truck to wear out so I can fit some more aggressive ones to it. At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #38245 7th Mar 2009 2:12 am
rmbillington

Also, have you considered either

Goodyear MT/R
Cooper Discoverer ST or STT (think they have some closer sizes)

Rich

Post #38258 7th Mar 2009 11:44 am
agroman

Hi
I'm sure the Goodyear MTR's would be great across the fields, but probably too noisey on road + handling worries in wet etc. The vehicle does 20K miles a year of all sorts of roads. The BFG AT's were a great compromise, but they don't make anything close, size wise.

I guess I am just going to have to bite the bullet and get some General Grabber 255's and see if they fit, might ask around a few of the 'country' trye dealers down here in Cornwall to see what they recon.

There should just be enough clearance between tyre wall and suspension strut, although its' tight! There about 18mm min clearance at the moment (rear ones closest). In theory a 255 should be 10mm closer to the strut than a 235.

On the wheel size I think the 17" alloys are 7J, the steel spare is. From the Tyre Bible site, I see a 7J wheel is the narrowist width that you can put a 255 65 on.

Yes I am an agronomist, so the freely is a work vehicle going across fields- (don't want to walk too far!)as well as general run about, generally pulling the kids ponies out of muddy fields at the weekend!

I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Post #38288 7th Mar 2009 7:32 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

agroman wrote:
as well as general run about, generally pulling the kids ponies out of muddy fields at the weekend!

In a horse box I presume Laughing or do they sink knee deep in mud At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #38292 7th Mar 2009 7:47 pm
rmbillington

Hi

I was thinking about this, as I've considered the AT2s as a possibility when my tires finally wear out, but probably wouldn't have considered a 255, but was thinking about 245s as an option.

Just looked on the General site, and they do a 245/70 R17, which would be a better fit. I think these are the size used by Disco 3s, so should be widely available.

Rich

Post #38310 7th Mar 2009 11:50 pm
agroman

Sorry - wrote last night's reply in a hurry - correct the horses are in a horse box, attached to the Freely.

Whilst the 245 are obviously closer in terms of width to the original. A 245 70 is a larger diameter than a 255 65 according to the tyre calculator. I was trying to keep the diameter as close as possible to original. So speedo not too far out and gearing not too high.

Interestingly my father runs an L200 Warrior Double cab on 17" wheels, 245 65 17 I think. He is have the same trouble finding good AT tyres to fit. If plenty of manufacturers are shoeing their vehicles in these sorts of tyres why are the tyre manufacturers not responding, there must be market! I will probably get a new set of the wrong size tyres just before BF Goodrich bring out a 235 65 17 AT. Sad

Post #38339 8th Mar 2009 1:56 pm
Ratatatat

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HST Manual Zermatt Silver

S'me that fitted MTR's to my existing 19" wheels.

255x55x19 gives a v slight lift, and so far, no issues at all - a perfect fit. Haven't yet been any serious cross-axle situations, but will do and take pics for posting too.

Weird thing is that there is less audible road noise from them than a similar setup on my D3.

If anyone out there wants 19" D3 rims with 1/2 used MTR's, I have them in my garage Out on the road today, I saw a Dead Head sticker on a Cadillac.............

A little voice inside my head said "Don't look back, you can never look back"

Post #38371 9th Mar 2009 7:35 am
agroman

Hi

I wonder if your 19" rims have a different offset to the standard 17" wheels?

What is the clearance at the rear, between tyre sidewall and shock absorber?

I notice you have a BlueFin fitted. How do you find it? Can you return the settings to standard before servicing etc?
I have a Diesel Tuner box fitted at present. Its OK with a modest performance increase, you can take if off before servicing and move it to another car (I change mine every 3 years - 60K miles). Although its cheap, its a rather crude device, I feel the remap of the Bluefin may be a better way to go.

Post #38376 9th Mar 2009 9:19 am
agroman

Visited my local tyre dealer in Launceston, he's been very helpful and agreed to get a General Grabber AT2 255 65 17 and try it. Next day we put it on a rim and bolted it up, front and rear. The clearance with the rear shock absorber is quite tight, but ok I think. Clearance on full lock at front seems ok. So I have got tyre dealer to get me another 4 tyres in and we'll do the swap.

I'll let you know the driving on / off road experience once they are fitted, probably next week.

btw cost will be £113 a tyre. Big Cry Need to change spare as well - the diameter is different to original.

Also been very naughty last night and ordered a Super chips Bluefin - just don't tell the wife! 0% credit cards have a lot to answer for!!

Post #38512 10th Mar 2009 9:20 pm
Ratatatat

More power to you, agroman.

Yes, the clearance at rear is TIGHT, but no issues. £113 looks like a bargain from where I'm standing

The bluefin bit was a little 'previous'. I ordered it and was given a date, but it came-went, came-went. Evenually got fed up with local dealer, and called direct. Apparently they've been overwhelmed with orders since the promo around crimbo time. Good to know that credit cunch days haven't stopped all the fun

Been re-assured it will arrive soon Shocked and what attracted me to the unit, is that you can apprarently reset easily before service, then upload after.

Had a Jeremy Fearn remap on my old D3, but everytime it went into service, the chip got reset to standard Crying or Very sad Out on the road today, I saw a Dead Head sticker on a Cadillac.............

Post #38608 12th Mar 2009 9:00 am
agroman

Hi

No problem with supply of Bluefin, ordered it online on Monday night, arrived by courier on Weds. Fitted it that afternoon with a couple of phone calls to their technical department, mainly due to software / hardware issues on my pc. Anyway all sorted, cost of £391!

Have left the diesel tuner box on as well! So now goes like a TDV8 RRS on valium! I think if you used all the power all the time you would:

a) Speed up global warming by 25%

b) Blow the motor and drivetrain, tyres ETC..

c) Kill yourself!!

But for normal smooth driving with a bit more poke for the odd overtake, its great. Not tried in in sand mode yet!!

New tyres not arrived yet, Nearly stuck again today, keep forgetting to hit the DSC before getting in sticky situations.

Regards

Post #38673 12th Mar 2009 8:51 pm
Ratatatat

Mr. Green sooo jealous re bluefin and still nothing from my dealer. He gets the 'heave-ho' tomorrow and going direct

Prognosis from climate change bods is that its all too late - ergo, lets have some fun while Rome burns. I'll leave money to my kids and they can save the planet! Out on the road today, I saw a Dead Head sticker on a Cadillac.............

Post #38687 12th Mar 2009 10:21 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1