Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > injectors destroyed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black
injectors destroyed

Hi, i wonder wether any owners would be able to comment on the issue with all 4 injectors on my recently purchased 2010 F2. All 4 tips of the injectors have "eroded" away to the point that the car wont start. I have looked into possible causes and i think the most likely is water mixed with the fuel causing " spitting " and detonation of the tips, eventually eroding them to a point they no longer work.
I guess my questions are, would you concur with this diagnosis or is there another reason.
Is there a water removal filter within the fuel sytem if so where.
is there an easy way for the fuel to be drained from the tank to check for the prescence of water.

the car has covered 79k miles and has some service history. 2 previous owners, both women so perhaps used only in town for short journeys??

i have replaced the injectors with second hand working ones and also replaced the fuel filter. i am waiting for the car to to return from the garage tomorrow, hopefully having started after the replaced items mentioned here.
Any replies gratefully received.
thank you. Very Happy

Post #364208 20th Jan 2019 2:45 pm
768will

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Bali Blue

Any reason for fitting 2nd hand injectors? Considering the work involved I would have thought new items would be fitted. 11 GS Bali Blue
07 GS FL2. Usually muddy. Gone
Numerous LRs since 1963

Post #364212 20th Jan 2019 3:15 pm
Mikey

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

I wonder 8f it had been misfuelled at some point, causing the damage? Question

Post #364213 20th Jan 2019 3:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pedro

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Galway Green

Fuel contamination (Not a misfuel) is a distinct possibility but is very rare - When it happened to me in my BMW my insurers told me that it does not even appear on the insurance database!

In my case, water and silt had built up over time (Car always refuelled every other Saturday at the same pump from new until it died at 1.5 years old).

The mix in my tank was milky white and the contamination resulted in a new tank, lines, HP pump, HP lines and injectors at a cost of £7.5 K and 2.5 months to get sorted !

Interestingly enough, I refuelled my FL2 on the other alternate Saturdays and had no problem with it at all !

Good luck sorting yours out. FL2 HSE Auto Galway Green
Evoque SD4 Auto Blue.
FL1 HSE TD4 Manual Black - Gone.
RR Classic V8 EFI - Gone

Post #364220 20th Jan 2019 5:06 pm

Thanks guys, i suppose it could have been misfuelled although i think that would cause more significant engine damage if left. I had heard that water causes erosion in injectors much like when water drips into a pan of hot oil. ie almost exploding.
i used 2nd hand injectors because it was £200 vs £1000 for new and im still not sure there arent other issues at play.
any other info re water seperator or draining the diesel tank quickly and easily.
Thumbs Up

Post #364222 20th Jan 2019 5:09 pm

Cheers for the info Pedro. i will be cutting the old fuel filter apart to inspect and will ask about the condition and appearance of the diesel.
I'll keep you posted of the outcome.

Post #364223 20th Jan 2019 5:11 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

[quote="Pedro"]Fuel contamination (Not a misfuel) is a distinct possibility but is very rare - When it happened to me in my BMW my insurers told me that it does not even appear on the insurance database!

In my case, water and silt had built up over time (Car always refuelled every other Saturday at the same pump from new until it died at 1.5 years old).

The mix in my tank was milky white and the contamination resulted in a new tank, lines, HP pump, HP lines and injectors at a cost of £7.5 K and 2.5 months to get sorted !

Interestingly enough, I refuelled my FL2 on the other alternate Saturdays and had no problem with it at all !

Good luck sorting yours out.[/quote

Shocked Shocked Shocked

What diesel were you using? That is catastrophic in a 1 1/2 year old car!
Was the Freelander drinking from the same pump? Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #364226 20th Jan 2019 5:26 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red
Re: injectors destroyed

1989964 wrote:

Is there a water removal filter within the fuel sytem if so where.

also replaced the fuel filter.

If you have replaced the fuel filter check the old one as it has a release rod/pin on the top face for draining water. Doubt if it ever gets touched in a UK garage. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #364230 20th Jan 2019 5:52 pm
Pedro

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Galway Green

[quote=What diesel were you using? That is catastrophic in a 1 1/2 year old car!
Was the Freelander drinking from the same pump?[/quote]

Yes, the FL2 was at exactly the same diesel pump too !
Yes, the damage was certainly catastrophic !

My insurers threatened legal action against the supermarket involved and they just said no other car has had problems - see you in court ! This was not true as another BMW was in the dealers with the same problem and they had used the same pump as me but BMW would not give me the car / owner details and so I could not pass onto my insurers. FL2 HSE Auto Galway Green
Evoque SD4 Auto Blue.
FL1 HSE TD4 Manual Black - Gone.
RR Classic V8 EFI - Gone

Post #364234 20th Jan 2019 6:09 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

When I'm taking a training class on diesel diagnostics we look at the effect of one drop of water splashed onto a burning candle.
the effect says it all.
this is what happens when water finds its way through the injector and the effects is catastrophic for the injector tip, sometimes it will blow the glow plugs as well.
Water however a tiny amount & diesel is never a good combination.
Fuel tanks always run low are a recipe for water as condensation builds

Video worth a watch, only a few seconds but says it all

Jaguar x-type sport gone
Jaguar x-type 2.2d sport one of my best cars ever sadly gone
Freelander 2 GS auto 2008 most unreliable ever ! gladly gone
Freelander 2 GS manual 2013 only time will tell !

Post #364241 20th Jan 2019 7:14 pm

Cheers Bob

Post #364246 20th Jan 2019 8:40 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Pedro wrote:
[quote=What diesel were you using? That is catastrophic in a 1 1/2 year old car!
Was the Freelander drinking from the same pump?

Yes, the FL2 was at exactly the same diesel pump too !
Yes, the damage was certainly catastrophic !

My insurers threatened legal action against the supermarket involved and they just said no other car has had problems - see you in court ! This was not true as another BMW was in the dealers with the same problem and they had used the same pump as me but BMW would not give me the car / owner details and so I could not pass onto my insurers.[/quote]

Did you inform Trading Standards ? - they could test the fuel being delivered from the pumps.
I guess because you used the same pump every weak you inadvertently slowly poisoned your engine. Most people, like me, dont care where they get fuel from and thus any bad fuel gets diluted.

Also its not a quick job to change or drain the fuel filter. I suspect it often gets missed out. How would the average owner know ? Jules

Post #364256 20th Jan 2019 10:31 pm
steven211

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Lago Grey

Pedro wrote:
Fuel contamination (Not a misfuel) is a distinct possibility but is very rare - When it happened to me in my BMW my insurers told me that it does not even appear on the insurance database!

Good luck sorting yours out.

A supermarket fuel company in Worcester recently paid us via owners insurance (BMW dealer) allot of money for the same issue within the last month , fuel full of water, every single fuel compoment changed on the 4/5 cars we had in including the tank. The HP pumps were all full of swarf on every car we did.

Post #364437 22nd Jan 2019 10:07 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1