Home > Off Topic > Sharon Davies RR fire
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Stevie5tapes

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Auto Sumatra Black
Sharon Davies RR fire

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/olympic...27861.html

The swimmer Sharon Davies Range Rover burst into flames yesterday. She’s heavily laying into Land Rover as she can’t get hold of anyone from the local dealer or LR customer services. Although it’s a shock when a car sets on fire (I had a car burst into flames years ago) is her criticism of LR jumping the gun as I would guess LR customer services would be closed for the new year festivity’s? Black MY2013 SD4 GS Auto, Wood Company Armrest, Freel2 sticker.
Gone MY2010 Freelander 2 Manual TD4.e S, Alaska White.

Post #362839 1st Jan 2019 6:00 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

I find it surprising that a fireman would give an instant diagnosis from that wreckage.

I can imagine one saying “I bet it’s an electrical fire, they often are”.

At least she won’t have to worry about whether it’s going to be written off or not Rolling Eyes

Post #362849 1st Jan 2019 7:37 pm
Stevie5tapes

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Auto Sumatra Black

When my old Astra set on fire 20 years ago the fire brigade told me it was electrical. They lifted the bonnet and showed me the scorch marks from where the fire started. It was in the same location as distributer and air filter. The fireman told me then it was electrical. My car was nowhere near as damaged as the Range Rover so don’t know how they can say it’s electrical unless it’s a common issue with Range Rovers? Black MY2013 SD4 GS Auto, Wood Company Armrest, Freel2 sticker.
Gone MY2010 Freelander 2 Manual TD4.e S, Alaska White.

Post #362850 1st Jan 2019 7:59 pm
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

What does she seriously expect LR to do on a 3 year old car.

Post #362851 1st Jan 2019 8:06 pm
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Was she in the car? She's looking a bit 'tandooried chicken' in her picture Wink

Post #362855 1st Jan 2019 8:27 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

I wonder if she usually completely blocks the pavement outside her house?

https://mobile.twitter.com/markgsparrow/status/932321181595824129

Perhaps it’s been torched by a disgruntled pedestrian?

Post #362875 2nd Jan 2019 6:44 am
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

SYFL2 wrote:

yes exactly who does she think she is ?

Iain

Post #362884 2nd Jan 2019 9:17 am
Dartman the one

England 

I think the quote was under 3 years old, so still in warranty. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #362885 2nd Jan 2019 9:51 am
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

iain cooper wrote:
SYFL2 wrote:

yes exactly who does she think she is ?

Iain

Decent swimmer in her day, way before UK and GB were leading the field in world class swimmers. She reitered very young and since then has got through husbands as quick as she got through the water.
Seems to be a permanent fixture now whenever there's swimming on the TV and they need a poolside interviewer.
On the upside there's some modelling pictures on line Thumbs Up

Post #362887 2nd Jan 2019 10:18 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Wonder if she has gap insurance ?

What is the depreciation on a 3 year old RR ? Jules

Post #362894 2nd Jan 2019 11:26 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Catastrophic! Big Cry Laughing

Post #362907 2nd Jan 2019 1:43 pm
Chuckalicious

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

Bit of no news, bolstered by a celebrity name. She complains that she couldn't get hold of anyone on the phone and they hadn't advertised as being open. No Censored Sherlock.

Obviously a terrible thing to happen to anyone and it should be investigated by JLR, which it will be. But jumping the gun by shooting at JLR I think. Learned to drive in 2011.
Bought a Micra - great little car
"Upgraded" to Kia Sportage - hated it
Proper upgrade to FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k
Reconditioned diff at 70k ish
Sold at 84k and now on a DS. Terribly unreliable.
Sold DS for a 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Fingers crossed....
Sold Outlander for a 2014 SD4 SE Tech because I’m mental

Post #362928 2nd Jan 2019 6:36 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Not much metal ahead of the engine block! Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #362936 2nd Jan 2019 8:33 pm
j77

Scotland 

I know a few owners who’d happily let their LR burn. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #362942 2nd Jan 2019 10:49 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

I would have had my first car burn but stopped it in time. While parked & sitting in the car saw smoke coming out the gaps around the bonnet. I did have a fire extinguisher but a bottle of water did the trick. It was a wire that had worn through to the copper & shorted.

It makes you sit up & think & these days have 2 x 1kg fire extinguishers. 1 kg extinguishers last about 5 seconds, 2kg about 8 seconds.

ABE will pack the powder down when in cars so it is a good idea to remove it from the holder & free up the powder like you would mix a can of paint every so often.

ADVANTAGES

Quick Knockdown - Dry powder, when correctly applied and at the required application rate, has the ability to ensure an initial quick knockdown of the fire.

Non-Conductor of Electricity - Dry powder can safely be used at incidents where it is known or suspected that ‘live’ electrical equipment is present.

Good on Running Fuel Fires - Owing to its fire extinguishing action, dry powder, when used in conjunction with foam sprays, can be extremely effective when used on running fuel fires.

Creates No Thermal Shock - Because the application of dry powder onto hot metal does not cause thermal shock, it is particularly useful for dealing with fires involving undercarriage assemblies.

Good Heat Shield - The discharge of dry powder creates an effective shield against radiated heat. In cases where large quantities of powder are discharged, this has the potential to shield surrounding structures and personnel from the damaging effects of the fire.

Wide Range Of Use – Dry powder extinguishers can be used on class A,B and C Fires.

Wide Temperature Range – Typically can be used between -20oc to +60oc.

Mass for mass the most effective fire-fighting medium.

DISADVANTAGES

Visibility Problems - The application of dry powder and generation of a dense powder cloud will dramatically reduce the visibility of the operator so they may not be able to use vision to judge the effectiveness of the powder on the fire or may jeopardise escape in a fire.

Can Cause Breathing Problems - If dry powder is inhaled it can irritate the respiratory organs. Whilst short term exposure is not considered to be harmful, repeated inhalation should be avoided.

Leaves a Residue - Dry powder is a very messy extinguishing agent that will leave behind a residue that is corrosive to certain materials and because it is a find powder it can also be abrasive. Thoughtless use may lead to the powder causing more damage than the fire itself, using dry powder fire extinguishers in kitchens or offices as powder can contaminate food and inhibit the use of electrical components such as keyboards if discharged. Because of the properties of powder being very light and easily carried through the atmosphere dry powder extinguishers when discharged risk contamination over a wide area.

Poor Post Fire Security - Due to the smothering and chemical interference effect of dry powder, it will only remain effective whilst it is present in the atmosphere above the fuel. Because it is a cloud of fine powder, particles of it can easily be dispersed by the wind, giving a very real danger of rapid re-ignition of fuel.

Vulnerable To Packing Down – Failure of extinguisher can result from the packing down of the powder within the extinguisher body, this problem is associated more with cartridge operated extinguishers. This can be a particular problem on vehicle mounted equipment as the vehicle vibration will cause the powder to compress under its own weight. Regular maintenance routines are essential; to prevent failure of equipment at a crucial time.

Can Break Down Foam Blanket – The use of dry powder close to an area covered by a foam blanket may lead to the foam breaking down more quickly.

Usage & Location – Because of the disadvantages above dry powder extinguishers should only be found in industrial settings and where no alternative fire extinguisher mediums are suitable. They should not be found in offices, flats etc.

Limit of use, not to be used on class D,F fires Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #362946 3rd Jan 2019 12:16 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>