Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Simtek connectors part number rear LED lights conversion
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
casper

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black
Simtek connectors part number rear LED lights conversion

Read through all the previous posts! and want to make this a reversible change

Does anyone know what the Simtek connector part number is for the rear old lights pre LED upgrade ?
or better still did anyone find a connector adaptor that might work or wired one up? for us novice engineers, since looks like fun pulling out all that wiring cutting off the new LED connector and re-soldering connectors back on I presume before pushing them back into the connector Rolling Eyes

can't see it their website which is not brilliant Sad FL2 2008 150K
Owned From new - sad but just can't part with it
Upgraded LED Hal Front and Rear LED lights
Rear spoiler, facelift Tailgate handle, total surround sound
Steel boot and door treadplates
Upgraded dolby surround sound
chrome fog bezels

Post #361224 28th Nov 2018 6:54 pm
Freelander marto

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

I have just done this mod and I too did not want to cut plugs off, and hope to make an adaptor, but I looked and looked for matching plugs but found nothing, ended up cutting plugs off and soldering. Only put them on yesterday but had lights for near a month. Sorry it is not good news but one thing I can say is they do look better than the old style. GS Sd4 2012

Post #361225 28th Nov 2018 7:37 pm
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

There is a suggestion in this thread that the new style 'lamp-side' connectors can be made to fit the existing 'car side' connectors. I never tried to do it that way but I did speak directly with Simtek back then - no joy there although from that thread, it seems there was a hint of future availability. Had I been able to get the connectors I'd have made up a very short six core cross-over cable to simply insert between the 'car side' old style connector and the 'lamp-side' new style connector but hey, who wants simple Smile

Cutting the connectors from the lights and swapping them over is no big deal - a simple kitchen table job with a soldering iron and a bit of heat-shrink sleeving. The 'car side' wiring is not modified in any way - just the tails from the actual light clusters which makes life really easy.

I never bothered putting the 'new style' connectors onto the 'old style' lamps as there was no need - I just attached the 'old style' connectors onto the LED lamps.

When I sold that car on I simply cut the 'old style' connectors from the LED lamps, refitted them to the original lamps and reinstalled them on the car. The LED lights were then sold on to another FL2 upgrader on this forum (iirc) separately with the connectors not fitted.

Post #361229 28th Nov 2018 8:42 pm
westville

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

According to the SIMTEK website:

Quote:
A range of our available Land Rover / Rover connectors, please contact us if you require a connector not listed here.

https://www.simtekuk.co.uk/index.php/autom...=:8:55999:

The weather here is crap so I'm not going outside to check but some of the connectors and conversion kits they offer look very similar to what my MY13 is fitted with Thumbs Up No Longer the owner of a 2013MY Fuji White GS

"Fiat Lux" a philosophy not a car

Post #361268 29th Nov 2018 1:53 pm
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

Re Simtek... when I did my rear lights in 2015...

Quote:
Peter (Wytonpjs) got some of both types from Simtek but it seems they were oddments rather than regular stock.

I enquired after both types in early March [2015] but Ginny of Simtek advised that they are not currently available but possibly will be in a 'few months'.

Worth a call to Simtek... otherwise, Vehicle breakers may be an option - parts from insurance write-offs...

What about this... https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Land-Rover-FREELA...1515842057. Not sure if the coneectors are the same as or even if they are of any use in swapping lights without cutting anything off them.

Post #361271 29th Nov 2018 2:17 pm
casper

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

The problem is the female connector is on the lamp not the wiring loom. I searched loads of sites and no joy so given up best option is buy smashed lamps and rip it out Idea . Got one of Ebay for £10 but looking for another.
The breakers not helpful and one dimensional they just want to sell you complete lamps on the internet at inflated prices more than ebay prices for a quick buck Mad . I remember when proper breakers were around and they rip out the parts you needed or you could go and scavage and haggle for a price Cool FL2 2008 150K
Owned From new - sad but just can't part with it
Upgraded LED Hal Front and Rear LED lights
Rear spoiler, facelift Tailgate handle, total surround sound
Steel boot and door treadplates
Upgraded dolby surround sound
chrome fog bezels

Post #361426 2nd Dec 2018 6:15 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1