« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Running a wire through engine bulkhead
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
thehelper

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue
Running a wire through engine bulkhead

Hi, I want to run a small cable from my synergy 3 in the battery compartment through to the cabin to fit a switch. Anyone got any tips on how to get the cable through the bulkhead?

Post #357537 24th Sep 2018 5:04 pm
Dragore

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HST Manual Zermatt Silver

Hi

It is not an easy task but I managed to get an LED light bar switch cabling through by first taking the battery and cage out of the car then removing the glove compartment. After this you need to find the grommet for the bonnet pull cable and feed the cabling through there into the engine bay. I then made a little hook tool out of a wire coat hanger to grab the cable as it appeared in the engine bay.

As I said not too easy specially finding the cable as it enters the engine bay plus the fact that a super flexible spine would be helpful while feeding the cable in through the grommet under the dash it is definitely possible. I did do a hunt for an easier route but unfortunately couldn't find one.

Good luck Thumbs Up If your going through hell, keep going!

Wrapper of rear pillars 😀

Post #357623 25th Sep 2018 8:59 pm
thehelper

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

Hi Dragore,

Thanks for your reply. I managed to do it this afternoon.
I removed the glove box, Taped the cable to a sharpened electrician's fibreglass access rod. Then after lubing the grommet and the rod and cable I pushed it through the bonnet release grommet above the release cable.
I found that by pushing down on the rod, I could get the rod to exit at an upward angle. I could then see the rod dow the rear outward side of the battery box. Then using a metal wire hook, I could hook the cable and pull a loop up behind the battery box. Having got hold of the cable i pulled it out of the tape attaching it to the rod and retracted the rod. It would probably have been easier with the battery and box removed but I am just lazy.

You are right there does not seem to be any other way.

Anyone trying this, Tape the cable near the tip of the rod. Then if you cannot hook the cable but can see it, try holding the cable against the grommet to stop it withdrawing while you withdraw the rod by an inch, This should give you a loop of cable which you my be able to hook inside the engine bay.

Post #357624 25th Sep 2018 9:29 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1