Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Sat Nav settings
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

Bloody nuisance and scared the life out of me on last Scotland trip. Cruising for many uneventful miles up M6 and suddenly this woman's voice kicked in Shocked : Shocked Shocked

Sheep If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #354070 28th Jul 2018 1:08 pm
768will

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Bali Blue

Was that your wife? Whistle 11 GS Bali Blue
07 GS FL2. Usually muddy. Gone
Numerous LRs since 1963

Post #354087 28th Jul 2018 5:16 pm
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

SSShhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,she thinks I haven't got phone signal after The Lakes. Wink If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #354089 28th Jul 2018 5:33 pm
GSKM

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Orkney Grey

When driving to Switzerland I found e previous owner of my 14my car had set the sat nav to avoid tunnels. It kept trying to divert me all over the place, no doubt up a goat track somewhere. I can't remember the settings now as I no longer have the car, but I thought you could set the system to avoid certain types of roads. Not sure on earlier versions though.

Post #354150 30th Jul 2018 12:00 am
blacktiger

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I nearly always plan my routes using a map and then transfer it to the satnav which works fine when using a stand alone Garmin but we're stuck if you want to use the in-built unit and just bang in a destination. MY13 Santorini Black SD4 HSE

Post #354287 1st Aug 2018 12:31 pm
Paul4751

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Alaska White

Further to my reply on 26 July, I can also confirm that in "Route Options", you can select "Major Roads" that will keep you off the byways. Purely as a matter of interest, it would be handy to know which country lane you were taken down off the main highways from Grantham to Lowestoft. It seems like A roads all the way.

Post #354291 1st Aug 2018 1:27 pm
Milothedog

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

Thanks for your input Thumbs Up Sorry I can't remember the exact road. all I remember is we were happily travelling on the A road when it told me to take the next left (which was a suitable road and then the next right which turned into a single track road after a short distance) from what I can work out, it basically cut a corner off from one A road on to another Mad

Having looked in great detail, my Sat Nav is set to major Roads Question Easy route is also on Question Not sure if that's a factor Question 2007 TD4 XS The work horse that earns its up keep
2013 SD4 HSE The posh one for towing the caravan
1973 Triumph Stag I bought in 2009 and restored.

Post #354300 1st Aug 2018 7:16 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Having just done a 2090 mile round trip from Dorset to Orkney and back I can concur that the satnav in my 2014 XS is pretty useless. Of the three options offered for any journey (Quick, Short or Eco) they seem to be remarkably similar. We have been sent through the centre of Glasgow rather than bypassing it (and found ourselves in a anti Donald Trump rally) and been quite surprised how many roundabouts turned out to be road junctions. We have also been sent across the Tyne Bridge in the centre of Newcastle when bypassing would be more sensible and when I pressed "get me home " it directed to go via the M25 Heathrow section when it would be clearly stupid to do so.
We bought an updated 2019 roadmap which proved much better for journey planning. In my experience satnavs are useful for the last mile of your journey when you are trying to find a specific address or hotel but need to be used with care and not followed blindly, especially for route planning. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #354307 1st Aug 2018 9:36 pm
Jimboland

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

I find, and from reading on here, that built in satnavs are generally of Micky Mouse quality and give more problems than help to the driver. Previously I have had Garmin stand alone satnav but it was a bit slow and sometimes would show where you have just been rather than where you are going. It also had a bad habit of directing me into dead end industrial estates and then telling me to make a U turn and the American accent and slang made it a bit tricky to understand at times. For the last 8 years I have used TomTom standalone satnav and find it generally very good and easy and free to update - something you don't get with built in satnav. Usually the only problems are where there has been a recent change such as a new "No Right Turn" or "No Entry" but when you don't take the turn it choses a new route. Choice of route type is also pretty good as is traffic information and if it identifies an alternative less congested route it gives you the option of taking it. The one thing it can't do is to stop SWMBO deciding she wants to go somewhere just after you have passed the turn.

J

Post #354330 2nd Aug 2018 11:12 am
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

dorsetfreelander wrote:
Having just done a 2090 mile round trip from Dorset to Orkney and back I can concur that the satnav in my 2014 XS is pretty useless. Of the three options offered for any journey (Quick, Short or Eco) they seem to be remarkably similar. We have been sent through the centre of Glasgow rather than bypassing it (and found ourselves in a anti Donald Trump rally) and been quite surprised how many roundabouts turned out to be road junctions. We have also been sent across the Tyne Bridge in the centre of Newcastle when bypassing would be more sensible and when I pressed "get me home " it directed to go via the M25 Heathrow section when it would be clearly stupid to do so.
We bought an updated 2019 roadmap which proved much better for journey planning. In my experience satnavs are useful for the last mile of your journey when you are trying to find a specific address or hotel but need to be used with care and not followed blindly, especially for route planning.

Interesting, since we have a 63 plate so likely the same set up. I've had no such issues with ours, particularly with roundabouts being junctions etc. As for running into a demonstration, I don't believe that even a Garmin would pick that up? We recently travelled back from Lindisfarne to London and recall that the satnav took us around the Tyne Bridge.
I don't believe the satnav should be relied upon 100% - if you know that section of the M25 near LHR or indeed any local areas arei going to be a nightmare then common sense would say avoid it, turn the volume down on the satnav

Post #354335 2nd Aug 2018 12:52 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

I think "Waze" might have picked up the anti-Trump demonstration.

The Freelander Sat Nav is an old system now, the map was out of date when the car was made (2014) and it just does some very odd things at times. I dont trust it and tend to use our phone Sat Navs.

My son loves Waze but I prefer Google Maps. Jules

Post #354355 2nd Aug 2018 7:06 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

blacktiger wrote:
I nearly always plan my routes using a map and then transfer it to the satnav which works fine when using a stand alone Garmin but we're stuck if you want to use the in-built unit and just bang in a destination.

Its a PITA trying to zoom in and out to see where the thing is actually going to take us. Jules

Post #354356 2nd Aug 2018 7:09 pm
blacktiger

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Agree. Anything larger than 1/8th and all the small roads disappear. REALLY annoying. MY13 Santorini Black SD4 HSE

Post #354398 3rd Aug 2018 5:24 pm
AjM

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Dynamic Auto Santorini Black

Have to agree with everyone, it is bloody useless. It also takes no notice of the settings you enter. You tell it to use Toll roads and it uses toll roads. You tell it not to and it uses toll roads. You tell it to avoid motorways and it takes you on motorways, you get the idea.
I have a TomTom that I pad £35 for 7 years ago and it is superior in everyway, not to mention google maps on my phone….

Post #354490 6th Aug 2018 12:49 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12