Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Haldex Wiring Checks (2008 Diesel)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
aesmith

Haldex Wiring Checks (2008 Diesel)

Hi,

Our car is displaying the ominous "Transmission fault" error message, a code reader gives U0136-00 and U0136-87 depending on which module is queried. As I understand it, this means there's no response from the Haldex controller. Checking first things first, the fuse is intact (FB6 in rear compartment). The wiring looks intact. Does anyone know the pin-outs for the connector, or if there are any other checks I can carry out on the Canbus or wiring?

Thanks, Tony S ----------
Tony S

Post #351612 16th Jun 2018 3:59 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

You seem to be on the ball but make sure your battery is not on its last legs. Older cars also benefit from the added earth lead. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #351623 16th Jun 2018 10:01 pm
aesmith

Thanks. I found the wiring diagram and the bad news is that the voltages seem to be all present and correct. +13.5V on switched live, and "something" on each of the Canbus lines, all measured with engine running. I don't have the secondary earth strap, but the battery is in good nick and we don't have starting issues except below around -5 deg C which I'm pretty sure is glow plugs rather than battery. In any case would a less than ideal earth return cause a permanent error like this?

Should I read anything into the fact that the code is "unable to communicate", implying the unit is completely dead, as opposed to reporting some internal problem? Or alternatively is there any DIY tests I can carry out to see if it's a pressure sensor or something that's broken.

At this stage our opinion is that if the whole Haldex is goosed then we should probably scrap the car because if we keep it the rear shock absorbers will need to be done pretty much right now, and the clutch is showing early signs of slipping. And I'm pretty sure the glowplugs are dud as well. Past experience with the Freelander is that every time there's a fault, it costs a thousand pounds to fix it, so Haldex + rear shocks + glow plugs + clutch would be more than the car is worth. ----------
Tony S

Post #351630 17th Jun 2018 9:42 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Only the owner can decide how long you pump money into a 10 year old vehicle. Days of going to the local scrap yard and getting a cheap part have gone Big Cry FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #351643 17th Jun 2018 3:32 pm
aesmith

Cheers. Realistically we're kind of stuck with what to replace it with. On the one hand the Freelander is clearly too complex for long term reliability, and the lack of serviceability of individual bits can change a simple fault into a huge expense. But on the other hand what's the alternative if you need a degree of off road capability? The successor, Discovery Sport pushes the price up and presumably adds even more pricey and failure prone gadgets, but I'm concerned that other makes are just the same (witness a guy at work who's car was laid up for weeks getting the handbrake ECU reprogrammed. It's beyond me to understand why a handbrake even needs an ECU, let alone one that only a main agent can service).

It goes against the grain but if could get the Haldex and shock absorbers done for say a total of £1000 then that might be the best option. ----------
Tony S

Post #351653 17th Jun 2018 7:57 pm
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

Bell Engineering will supply a reconditioned Gen 4 haldex for £438 (exchange basis) or supply and fit for £618 inc vat. A pair of rear shock absorbers can be had for around £110 -£130 delivered (don't know fitting costs -diy perhaps?) so your thousand pounds looks as though it will more or less cover it.

Post #351657 17th Jun 2018 8:53 pm
mgwanderer

Belgium 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Indus Silver

Very good advice about Bell Engineering, I had the same errors and it turned out that the Haldex motor was shot which made it even cheaper when Austen repaired it. If it ain't ***ked don't fix it

Post #351664 17th Jun 2018 10:18 pm
aesmith

Thanks. I have a few people to phone when I get a chance. It seems like the worst case would be Bell Engineering's exchange unit (I assume that includes the ECU as well?) plus labour to fit.

The question I would still like to answer is whether the whole thing is faulty, or whether it's just a valve or sensor, pump or ECU. There doesn't seem to be any way of finding out as an end user. ----------
Tony S

Post #351674 18th Jun 2018 10:06 am
Badger51

Australia 

The Haldex will not include the ecu! As your diagnostics cannot communicate with it & you are sure the wiring is all ok, that would point to a faulty ecu imho.
Possibly try & find a second hand one, gen3 & gen4 use different ecu's as well.

Nick (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash
Nanocom Evo II (also sold)

Post #351679 18th Jun 2018 10:53 am
mgwanderer

I bit the bullet and drove from Belgium to Bell Engineering to let Austen check it out. It still worked out cheaper than letting LR repair it. He checked all individual parts (Inc ecu) before we found the burnt out motor. Treat your wife to a weekend in England and let Austen work his magic.

Clive If it ain't ***ked don't fix it

Post #351680 18th Jun 2018 11:18 am
aesmith

That sounds a bit extreme, I don't really fancy ending up 450 miles from home with the car in bits. However it's probably worth having a chat to them.

Do you happen to know what error code yours showed with the knackered pump? ----------
Tony S

Post #351685 18th Jun 2018 1:30 pm
aesmith

Badger51 wrote:
The Haldex will not include the ecu!

I see a new ECU is £450 + VAT. Ouch! Any way of checking other than buying a replacement and trying it?

Edit, would a second hand ECU need main agent (or any) reprogramming to get it to work on the vehicle? That was what caught us out with the ABS problem, nobody that I spoke to was able to recode a replacement meaning that the only option was a new Land Rover part (£1200+VAT) and main agent fitting. Difference with the Haldex I suppose is that if it came down to it the car could be driven somewhere to have the ECU programmed. ----------
Tony S

Post #351687 18th Jun 2018 1:54 pm
mgwanderer

When I was down to Bell Engineering ,Austen tried a replacement ECU in the beginning as that was the easiest thing to change and it made no difference. That is why a visit is worth your while as he has all the spare parts there. You will not be without a car but the only unknown is the price of the repair, but it will be a lot less than LR.

I am having problems accessing my diagnostic data but I know one of them was a CANBUS communication error

Post #351700 18th Jun 2018 5:07 pm
aesmith

Quote:
I am having problems accessing my diagnostic data but I know one of them was a CANBUS communication error

Cheers. The only DTCs we get are U0136-00 and U0136-87, both of which look up as simply unable to communicate with the Haldex. I have a nasty feeling that this might simply be the only code as I can't find (so far) reference to any other possible codes. So maybe that's what you get even if the ECU is in perfect order and actually reporting some other error internal to the Haldex. ----------
Tony S

Post #351710 18th Jun 2018 7:31 pm
mgwanderer

Sometimes these codes point you in the general direction and not to a specific item, not only LR but I had the same with a Citroen. The most important is that you fix the correct item and have a reliable mode of transport, give Austen a ring and ask him for some advice, that is normally free......

Post #351722 18th Jun 2018 9:08 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>