« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Boot not closing easily
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Grue

New Zealand 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Sumatra Black
Boot not closing easily

Nothing dramatic, but this is a little niggle i've got after a few weeks on ownership. I suppose i should be pretty glad this is all i've got left after fixing/in process of fixing the rest!

Sometimes takes me 2-3 attempts to close the boot. It seems to bounce so doesnt latch fully. At first i thought it was me being too rough with it, so was more gentle and this improved things... but even just dropping her from a couple of inches from closed still doesn't always latch and I need to push the door in to get it to click.

Everythings tight in the latch department, and i've cleaned and lubed her up nicely. Nothing looks off with the seal, or anything getting in the way. Just a Freelander thing or should I be looking for a new latch mechanism?

Thanks for any response!

Post #349166 8th May 2018 8:55 pm
p_gill

United States 2008 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Grue,

I would try the following

Open the boot to expose the lock and use an appropriate tool to cycle the latch (small metal rod, possibly a screw driver)

Then use the key fob to release the lock

If the locking and unlocking are working well then look at the alignment of the lock and the catch are the next thing to check.

If the lock is difficult to latch manually then some grease may be needed.

If you are uncertain how much force should be required to latch the lock then try one of the doors for reference, the force should be similar

Good Luck

Paul

Post #349171 8th May 2018 9:51 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

First you need to remove the girl friends as it sound like one too many many in there Sheep Sheep Sheep

Latch should close like any other car with a manual tail gate. Its not a electric magnetic locking device so will always need a reasonable push home.

If not its cure by elimination and adjustment (not a lot of items) and not forgetting to work out if its had any accident damage via a previous owner.

Must be a NZ thing Laughing I owned a Nissan Sentra in New Zealand when I was there for a couple of years 37 years ago and the boot never did shut correctly no matter what I did. More unsealed / gravel roads then but ultimately I put it down to a previous owner must have had a accident. Car was not that old but thankfully I caught all the big problems under a warranty so it had, had a early rough life. Fella must have been doing a bit of moving these around Sheep Sheep FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #349183 9th May 2018 7:53 am
p_gill

United States 2008 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

I tried mine last night and it didn't take a lot of force to close the latch.

So I sprayed some Grease on it anyway and it did get noticeably easier.

And now when I close the hatch the sound is better, before it sounded like there was more than one thing happening (the hatch coming to rest on the frame followed by the latch closing, the delay was small but noticeable) and now everything seems to be simultaneous.

Here is what I used

As Yorky Bob correctly pointed out its a mechanical assembly and as such it needs some lubrication.

Post #349212 9th May 2018 4:33 pm
Grue

Thanks guys. Good to know that this isn't the norm so i can get problem hunting. Thumbs Up

And should really get some of that spray grease - starting to get expensive using lube meant for the AR15 on everything.

Don't worry Bob, the Sheep ride up front around here... not in the boot! Where abouts were you when you were here?

Post #349251 9th May 2018 11:38 pm
Yorky Bob

Yes those Sheep need treating well.

Lived in Wellington then but keep popping back. I was a member of the NZ Alpine Club once and have been most parts to walk, climb and cave.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-35278434 Whistle was there in January to finish off my traverse of the Ball Pass and did not need another ride thankfully FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #349254 10th May 2018 12:04 am
Grue

Those beacons are a must down here!

We live up Mt Egmont/Taranaki and it's pretty common to hear the rescue chopper at midnight. Amount of people you see going up with no gear and wearing town shoes is kinda scarey.

Post #349255 10th May 2018 1:15 am
sid

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

isn't it adjustable?most cars are

Post #349256 10th May 2018 1:18 am
Yorky Bob

Grue wrote:
We live up Mt Egmont/Taranakiy.
Wow Thumbs Up

Yes its a Mountain to not underestimate. I have been to the top twice over 25 years and goes from a heat wave to Artic cold very quickly even on a sunny day if the wind gets up.

From this to this all so very fast. Both shots within an hour of each other.

Great botanical gardens in New Plymouth. Is the topless bar still open in Stratford Shocked I hastily add it was lunch time when I had a beer 12 or so years ago so no exposed staff were present honest. Very Happy FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #349261 10th May 2018 7:37 am
RazMan

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Fuji White

I had an identical problem when I bought my present Landy. I really had to slam it shut or I constantly had the 'tailgate open' message. It became obvious that the tailgate and bumper had recently been replaced (telltale signs of respray and some missing fixings). I found that the rubber buffers in the latch were too proud (simply remove them to test if this is the case) and I shaved about 2mm off them to make closing the tailgate as easy as the doors. Cheers,
Raz
FL1 TD4 GS Auto 2001 Silver
FL2 TD4 Auto 2007 Black
FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2012 Fuji White

Post #349272 10th May 2018 10:21 am
Vanny

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Mine has been closing with quite a hard thunk for a while, so i adjusted the rubber bumpers on the tail gate (above your head when it open) out just a little and its a huge difference. I know these get harder with age/cold. Its normal to remove them in proper cold weather testing (-20c and below).

Might be worth a look?

Post #349314 10th May 2018 9:39 pm
Grue

Thanks guys - hadn't noticed the rubbers. Will give them a look see.

Post #349315 10th May 2018 9:42 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1