Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Car not starting again!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Cammywatson033

United Kingdom 
Car not starting again!

Hi guys, so I posted a few months ago about starter problems in the cold, after so help I tested the battery and it turns out it needed replaced (it was the original LR battery and the car is 8 years old). So been running fine until this morning and wouldn’t start again, coincidence that it was the coldest night in a long time last night! Anyway, the alternator was tested when I tested the battery and came back fine. Does anyone know if it could be the glow plugs? I’ve found a thread on here on how to change them myself, is this a bad idea attempting it? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Post #341683 7th Feb 2018 11:03 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Not done them myself but it looks like a pig of a job and finding a indie that has done them before and knows the job may be the best course of action. No point giving jobs like this to a general garage in my opinion as they will fumble around and charge for thinking time not doing time unless on a fixed a price. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #341687 7th Feb 2018 11:22 am
dennij

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

As the issue seems to be more pronounced when the weather is cold it may well be your glow plugs causing the issue. Have you tried pressing the start/stop button with your foot off the brake pedal and waiting approx 30 seconds before trying to start the car? Odd as it may seem but some have noticed that this has helped start the car on very cold mornings, I suspect that a couple of the glow plugs are working in this instance which gives just enough warmth to at least two of the cylinders to allow the car to start. It's unfortunate that the design of this engine means even trying to test the glow plugs is a real pain.

Post #341688 7th Feb 2018 11:24 am
dondiddy

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Firenze Red

When you say non starting can you give more details please? Did the engine turn over but fail to start, did it turn over slowly or did it fail to turn over at all?

Post #341692 7th Feb 2018 11:35 am
Cammywatson033

United Kingdom 

Hi guys,

Yeah tried leaving the ignition on for a minute or so to see if that helps, seemed to help a little after I had changed the battery, would start in the cold but would idle funny for a couple of minutes before settling down. This morning the car sounded as if it was going to start but didn’t, it ticked over for a few seconds then didn’t start, my wife has just went out to try it now the temperature is up a bit and it’s kicked in after a couple of attempts.

Post #341704 7th Feb 2018 1:26 pm
dondiddy

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Firenze Red

From what you say it is almost certain that one or more of the heater plugs have failed. Not reallly needed if the temperature is a couple of degrees above freezing but once the temperature drops then you end up with the symtoms you have. Not that expensive to buy but can sometimes be problematic to change as they have a tendancy to sieze into the head and can snap when trying to remove them as they are very thin by design. On the other hand they can sometimes be very easy to remove. Its kind of pot luck!

Post #341707 7th Feb 2018 1:41 pm
adywicaksono

2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Alaska White

the starter maybe failing

Post #341719 7th Feb 2018 3:56 pm
Cammywatson033

United Kingdom 

Thanks guys, I’m going to have a go at changing the glow plugs and take it from there

Post #341796 8th Feb 2018 9:24 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Tell us how you get on. Thumbs Up FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #341797 8th Feb 2018 9:28 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Living near the sea we rarely get frosts but yesterday I got in my FL2 and it was reading 3C. When I pressed start the dials all flashed up and spun around as normal and for the first time I saw the glow plug light come on. However nothing else happened and I was starting to get concerned when after about 10 seconds the starter motor cut in and the engine fired up. I was surprised how long it took. Shocked 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #341815 8th Feb 2018 11:02 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Cammywatson033 wrote:
Thanks guys, I’m going to have a go at changing the glow plugs and take it from there

I don't know the layout exactly but you might be able to test them in-situ We had a diesel Peugeot ZX a few years back that developed poor starting and then rough and smokey running until warmed up then all ok. Using a multimeter I found that one of the glowplugs was open circuit and just changed that one and that fixed it. On that car one of the plugs was a pig to get to but luckily it wasn't the one that failed. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #341821 8th Feb 2018 11:33 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1