Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > New to freelander 2 owenership, bit concerned.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Northcroft

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Zermatt Silver

Hi Rich, this forum is so 'rich' in knowledge and problems it almost makes me terrified to drive the car, to be brutally honest after reading this forum TOO much, I do not have the same confidence I had with previous cars, usually Honda which just went and went. . . Bow down

However having had my 07 HSE for a year now with 160,000 miles on the clock, so far nothing is wrong, apart from normal servicing. Its a pleasure to be in it and driving it, most comfortable car I have had (apart from a Honda legend). Thumbs Up

Hoping to keep it going at least another 5 years . . . . Mr. Green

Post #338864 8th Jan 2018 8:00 am
mcsimmo

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Mauritius Blue

If you visit any owners forum, it will always be full of owners posting about failures and problems about their current purchase, that's why forums like this exist.

Dont look on this forum as being full of doom and gloom, it isn't, its full of people sharing their experiences and helping other owners out.
Very Happy Updated- Waiting for a Scotland v England 6 Nations home win. 24th Feb 2018
Gone-1972 88 SWB Soft top
Gone-1981 24v FFR Lightweight
Gone-2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS manual
Gone before it bankrupted me- 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto

Post #338865 8th Jan 2018 8:33 am
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

I had problems with my GS electrics but most of grief was off dealership ( long story ) but now had another go and did worry about same things happening but soon snapped out of it and started enjoying the experience over again, ANY car might develop faults, don't worry about it unless it happens Thumbs Up

I think the more you dig the more you'll find.

Anyway if it breaks someone one on here will know how to fix it Bow down If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #338866 8th Jan 2018 9:47 am
Pedro

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Galway Green

Someone I know had a FL2 and is not on this forum. I asked them the other day where their car was and the told me they had an intermittent fuel gauge problem which the local garage could not solve and so he traded the car in. I told him straight away what the problem was ! My point here is that this is an excellent forum and the knowledge on here WILL more than likely save you some or a lot of money at some point so you can take consolation from that.

My car is a 2010 and I have had the usual suspects go wrong outside of warranty (Diff, fuel tank wiring, door latch) but have saved a fortune thanks to this forum. FL2 HSE Auto Galway Green
Evoque SD4 Auto Blue.
FL1 HSE TD4 Manual Black - Gone.
RR Classic V8 EFI - Gone

Post #338867 8th Jan 2018 9:48 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

But you might have saved even more by not buying one in the first place. Very Happy They are expensive (but nice to own) cars in my experience. This sounds like my wife's logic about all the money she saves in the sales. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #338872 8th Jan 2018 10:49 am
SkyeGuy

Scotland 

Great responses, chaps. Thank you all. Currently enjoying:
2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS (SOLD)
2013 BMW X3 20D M-Sport Auto
2007 Jaguar XK 4.2 Coupe

Post #338873 8th Jan 2018 11:15 am
jenks1950

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

I have had my MY 2013 for 5 years purchased as a "nearly" new with 7k miles now up to 81k

In that time, (touch wood!!) the only fault or failure I have had is a rear tailgate switch failure (which cost £20 and about 1 hour of my time to fix ....thanks to this forum) other than that only standard servicing and consumables

Steve

Post #338874 8th Jan 2018 11:41 am
Rich05uk

United Kingdom 

Hi guys thanks for replys. Does seem to be mixed bag when it comes to faults as to what car develops what fault. I pick mine up Wednesday or Thursday so will just enjoy it until something does go wrong, but will be getting a full service soon as I get it as I never really trust whats stamped in the book.

Post #338898 8th Jan 2018 3:43 pm
theglassman

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

mcsimmo wrote:
If you visit any owners forum, it will always be full of owners posting about failures and problems about their current purchase, that's why forums like this exist.

Dont look on this forum as being full of doom and gloom, it isn't, its full of people sharing their experiences and helping other owners out.
Very Happy

Absolutely agree!
My first FL2 was a Feb ’08 HSE Auto. Did 70k over 9 years and other than routine servicing/MOT’s it only had to go in once (- at 65k) for a new injector. Brilliant car.
My current one is a 64-plate SD4 Metropolis bought a year ago s/h at 16k. Now done 23k and I love it to bits.
Prior to these, a late-1999, bought new, BMW530 Touring. If you think that this Forum scares-off would be owners, read no further. After 6+ years ownership and 120k miles, I was pretty-well on first name terms with BMW Roadside-Assist guys all over UK. Easily the least reliable car I’ve had. Mostly computer/electronics/sensors etc - but a dead £39k car in the middle of nowhere is a useless, dead car. Towards the end, the rear brakes had rusted solid, the tailgate had rusted through around the number plate, the diff whined and the engine was getting rattly. Apart from that, it was great!
So far, in 12 years or so FL ownership (I has an FL1 HSE for 2 years also) - zero let-downs.
Go for one!
Click image to enlarge
 I've decided to stop being a good example and will now just be a terrible warning.....
2008 TD4HSE - gone but much loved.
2014MY SD4 Metropolis - very much loved.

Post #338905 8th Jan 2018 4:42 pm
TonyJ

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Izmir Blue

I have a 2008 GS which I have had from new. It has done 107000 miles and the only problems I have had in that time was DMF replaced at 30,000 miles done under guaruntee and an oil seal on the rear differential, a new boot latch and bonnet alarm switch done at the last service at 97,000 miles. The only other expenses have been normal servicing items. So I consider that pretty reliable motoring. Remember there are never problems, just new challenges

Post #339039 10th Jan 2018 1:41 am
Rich05uk

United Kingdom 

Hi guys just a quick update, I bought the car last week and since been away for the weekend in it, covered 500 miles, Have to say I'm really pleased with how it handles normal town, country roads, hill roads, passes etc and motorways also found It very comfy even in GS spec, wish I had bought one years ago.

Post #339543 15th Jan 2018 7:59 pm
SkyeGuy

Scotland 

I'm a couple of thousand miles into the ownership of my Fl2, and I am appreciating its qualities more and more, the more I drive it! I have never felt so confident on slushy/icy roads, and storm-force side-winds haven't upset it either. On my XS, the 'prog' button to de-frost and mist-clear everything from an icy start in about 60 seconds is just fantastic. Only one problem - the dog won't jump into the boot, and needs to be assisted. Hmmm... Currently enjoying:
2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS (SOLD)
2013 BMW X3 20D M-Sport Auto
2007 Jaguar XK 4.2 Coupe

Post #339546 15th Jan 2018 8:51 pm
Rich05uk

United Kingdom 

Deffo agree about confidence on roads, iv not had snow/ slush but have had uneven, slippery/wet and deep puddles all which unsettle a normal car but the fl2 realy seems to stay stuck to the road.

Post #339565 15th Jan 2018 11:24 pm
billio

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Narvik Black

Just wait till you try it in the snow. Very Happy Understeer when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower how fast you hit the wall.
Torque how far you take the wall with you.

Post #339597 16th Jan 2018 5:44 pm
Rich05uk

United Kingdom 

Had a free day today so took the landy out on a couple of local green lanes with my mate and was surprised how easily it did everything, then had some snow/ hail so went out again and found it stuck like glue especially in snow setting, on the same road that 5 normal cars had ended up in ditches.

Post #339616 17th Jan 2018 12:04 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>