« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Key fob
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Purplemadboy

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Firenze Red
Key fob

My car is just over 3 years old . It doesn’t get used much so I decided to take it out to the shops today as it was snowing. A warning came up say the the key batter was low . I managed to get the the shops and back . Once home I thought I would try the wives key .. dead as a dodo . Obviously I need 2 new batteries, my question is , will my wives key still remember the code fore the car ? I’ve no idea how long the battery has been dead for. Do it now ! Your a long time dead !!

Post #338174 29th Dec 2017 4:16 pm
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

CR2032 is the batteries that you need. Without knowing how long its been dead for it’s a tricky question just remember when swapping the key with some juice in it to replace the battery as quickly as you can once the flat one is removed. MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #338176 29th Dec 2017 4:28 pm
IDL

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

I thought the batteries where recharged whilst driving?

Post #338180 29th Dec 2017 5:04 pm
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

If you have the older style dock key in dash then they charge whilst driving! The battery is soldered in and they will also need replaced eventually. MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #338182 29th Dec 2017 5:07 pm
Purplemadboy

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Firenze Red

All good guys , thanks for the info . Went to Morrisons and got a pack of 2 Duracell for £5 , wife gave me a £5 voucher so they cost nothing.
Changed both remotes batteries, both sets of keys work Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Do it now ! Your a long time dead !!

Post #338190 29th Dec 2017 5:43 pm
bbrap

England 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Loire Blue
Re: Key fob

Purplemadboy wrote:
My car is just over 3 years old . It doesn’t get used much so I decided to take it out to the shops today as it was snowing. A warning came up say the the key batter was low . I managed to get the the shops and back . Once home I thought I would try the wives key .. dead as a dodo . Obviously I need 2 new batteries, my question is , will my wives key still remember the code fore the car ? I’ve no idea how long the battery has been dead for.

I always thought that when a key was coded to a car it was held in non volatile memory which will keep the info even when no power is available. Hence the need to get an uncoded key as a full replacement and then get it coded using an existing reference key. FL2 Metropolis, Loire Blue, ebony/ivory

Post #338198 29th Dec 2017 10:03 pm
dondiddy

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Firenze Red

It is considered good practice to regularly swap between your 2 sets of keys to avoid any possible issues that can occur if a set of keys are not used in a while. On the odd occasion the spare keys are not recognised by the vehicle and although you can unlock it, it will remain immobilised and fail to start. This issue can occur with any make/model of vehicle that has a factory fitted immobiliser. Big Cry

Post #338206 29th Dec 2017 11:29 pm
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

Sound advice Dondiddy for keys that dock and are recharged - not sure for later models with "smart" keys that don't require docking. Perhaps someone could comment. MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #338220 30th Dec 2017 10:14 am
bbrap

England 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Loire Blue

The later keys will unlock the car if there is enough juice. If the battery is flat and will not unlock it takes about 2 minutes to change the battery for a new one (once you know how to do it). Once in the car you will get the fob battery low message if it requires changing.

So in summary, on the new type key, if it will not open, change battery, if you get a message, change battery.

The situation of opening the car but not being able to start does not seem to happen, you get the battery low message but that is way before the battery is completely flat. FL2 Metropolis, Loire Blue, ebony/ivory

Post #338225 30th Dec 2017 11:36 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1