Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Flat battery (airport related??)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
wombat

United Kingdom 

Is it to do with the recall?

It has been identified that the controller circuit of the Positive Temperature Coefficient (PTC) the supplementary cabin heater may short circuit. This normally results in draining of the battery, and a non start situation.Additionally, the short circuit may lead to a distinct smell from hot/melted components which in extreme circumstances may develop into a fire. It is noted that, all of the above symptoms can occur when the vehicle is in use, or parked unattended

VOSA website ref P011

Post #29134 14th Oct 2008 6:27 pm
adover

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

You might just be correct:

Having filled in an 'I am not amused' feedback form to LR I have just been contacted by the Service Manager at Hunters Derby. Seemingly whilst the vehicle was in for the flat battery the aux heater was disconnected. As explained moisture on the (unsealed) pcb that controls the heater (as might build up whilst standing in a cold / wet open air car park for a period of days) can lead to shorting and battery discharge. This (Volvo) component is shared by FL2 and Jags (see earlier reply on same problem in Jags).

So, here's waiting for the fitting of the new part in the New Year... Andrew

Post #32462 3rd Dec 2008 3:09 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Isn't it just great that the need to disconnect the PTC was identified just a we go into winter !!! Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #32467 3rd Dec 2008 4:34 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Many thanks Wombat for the link to the VOSA information Bow down .
I can now send that to my stealer/service station who know nothing about this recall (and even after asking them several times about it). Maybe the gods over here dont think it is important enough to keep us informed Rolling Eyes 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #32469 3rd Dec 2008 5:28 pm
bjartin

Denmark 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Andy, maybe it has significance for the lack of recall, that all Norwegian Freel2 have auxiliary heater (cold climate).
That means a different electrical link! I suppose. Just a thought I had.

bjartin LR Freelander2 2,2 Td4 HSE manuel Stornaway Grey (Metallic) & Ebony Black Leather & Sun/Moon-roof & Bi-Xenon & Roof Rails & Tow bar & Body side rubbing strips & Cold climate pack & Privacy glass & NavTeq . Production Date: 11/5-2007 in Halewood.

Sorry, but I have changed to Defender 90 ", and I love my" tractor ".
http://www.youtube.com/bjartin

Post #32477 3rd Dec 2008 7:09 pm
Andyrew

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I personally haven’t experienced any of the issues raised yet, with regards airport interference; sleep mode or stray radio signals, but in my previous life as a radio armature enthusiast there is a lot to be said about RF (radio frequency) interference with other electronic devices.
Take our local BMW main dealer for instance, where my wife has her car serviced, it is situated about quarter of a mile from the Sutton Coldfield TV/Radio transmitter mast, which in turn serves virtually the hole of the Midlands and pumps out between 8,000-20,000 watts of RF energy, none of the car key remotes in the garages car park work unless you place the key remote against the rear screen where it is common practise for most manufactures to position the vehicles receiving antennas, did you think those little thin lines on the rear and side windows were just to demist the glass……..So there could well be some truth behind these strange tales.

Think about the interference your mobile phone causes with things like your landline phone when it is sat on your office desk, not forgetting frying your brain? 2.4 GHz same radio frequency as your microwave oven? and their power output is only 3 watts, that’s another story.

http://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=SK113003 2008, HSE,auto,S/grey,Alpaca leather with premium pack, bi-xenon.

Post #32715 9th Dec 2008 10:45 am
Nazca Sand Eddie

United Kingdom 

Anyone know where the remote control sensor is situated on our FL2's? Rolling Eyes

Post #32720 9th Dec 2008 11:12 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Under the cushions of the sofa Rolling Eyes At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #32722 9th Dec 2008 11:13 am
AndyC

Nazca Sand Eddie wrote:
Anyone know where the remote control sensor is situated on our FL2's? Rolling Eyes

Which remote control sensor are you talking about Question Question Question Question Question 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #32724 9th Dec 2008 1:39 pm
Nazca Sand Eddie

United Kingdom 

AndyC-

Perhaps I should have called it the 'receiving antenna' that accepts the radio signal from the remote control.

On my previous two vehilces, a Metro and a FL1, when they had been left parked near to a police radio transmitter, the only way I could get the remote control to unlock the doors was to place the remote control right up close to the bottom centre part of the front windscreen, and then press the remote control. I had been told that was where the remote control 'receiving antennas' were.

Andyrew has suggested that the 'receiving antenna' for the remote control for FL2 might be situated on the rear screen.

I was hoping someone might know the exact location....just in case of a future problem.

Last edited by Nazca Sand Eddie on 9th Dec 2008 8:52 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #32732 9th Dec 2008 4:35 pm
avtur

Anyone see Top Gear where Clarkson demonstrated how to enhance the range of your remote by holding it to your head Shocked Shocked Shocked

It did appear to work Thumbs Up

The range of the remote on my car never ceases to amaze me, great for finding the car in a darkened car park, just trun the lights on. At its best it works far enough away that the lights have gone off again before I get to the car. Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!

Post #32741 9th Dec 2008 6:58 pm
AndyC

Nazca Sand Eddie - tricky one that Rolling Eyes sorry cant help you Embarassed 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.

Post #32751 9th Dec 2008 8:59 pm
jules1967

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame
And so we join another exclusive club

On Sat our fl2 refused to start. Lots of warning messages, refused to crank and then refused to give her the key back. LRA came out, jump started it and can't find a problem, Sad
Its been back from the dealer for 2 whole weeks. It seems that they have finally sorted the fuel gauge (5th attempt to fix and I think they finally replaced the sender), allegedly sorted the PTC heater at the same time and it wasn't anywhere near an airport.
So aside from those 2 possibles, anyone any other ideas why a fully charged battery would suddenly die, only to be fine again after a jump start. That said, it's not the most enthusiastic cranker and a couple of times in the last few months it's just turned over and not fired on the 1st attempt. Mrs is starting to use the term "unreliable" and she wasn't referring to me for once.. 07 Freelander 2 TD4SE Tambora Flame, side steps, privacy glass, mud flaps, boot liner and a tow bar. Ok it's the Wifes but she lets me drive it occasionally - if I've been good!

Post #35002 19th Jan 2009 10:22 am
scribble

I suffered a flat battery in the FL2 for the first time and in any car. Had been locked in the garage for 24 hours after a fairly long run the day before. Wouldn't start, gave an HDC Fault error, and wasn't happy about spitting the key out again.

Called LRAssist who where excellent and at my doorstep in about 15 mins - probably quicker than some emergency services! He confirmed it was a flat battery, asked some questions to fill in a form about typical usage - type of journeys, number of starts per day, etc. He put on a gauge to determine if there was any draw on the battery while everything was off, and thenhad to finally jump start the car. Ran a test on the battery which came back as being sound also.

So no indication as to what caused the fault. The only two things that came to mind was that it was a wet day which sometimes makes the rear parking sensors a bit wonky and maybe there was a short somewhere. Only other difference was I was using an MP3 player via the AUX in cable. The MP3 battery was running on its own battery and removed from the car when I left, but the AUX cable was left plugged in. Very unlikely but it is the only thing different.

So far, no more repeats, but it hasn't rained since and I haven't used my MP3 player either!

Post #35005 19th Jan 2009 10:55 am
avtur

Re: And so we join another exclusive club

jules1967 wrote:
........anyone any other ideas why a fully charged battery would suddenly die, only to be fine again after a jump start. ........

I have the same question, wish I knew the answer ....

After one flat battery incident, I used a power pack to start it, drove 1 mile parked it for 20 minutes, it started Ok from that (which surprised me) then drove another 1 mile and parked it up for two days, after which it also started OK. That really doesn't make sense Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!

Post #35027 19th Jan 2009 2:12 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123