« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Great Wall Steed pick up
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Paul-90

United Kingdom 
Great Wall Steed pick up

Anyone on here much experience with these pick ups? They seem pretty cheap and have a good warrenty etc.

Post #313352 18th Dec 2016 4:10 pm
Dartman the one

England 

If they are anything like the takeaway then you may need more than a good warranty Rolling with laughter my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #313355 18th Dec 2016 4:48 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

a few quote from a search on farming forum

If you are looking at something 2-3 year old using it is as a workhorse only. I would personally buy a great wall steed. You then have no maintenance or breakdown worries.

A local garage got an agency for Great Wall. They sold about half a dozen of them but they've all been changed already. I'm not sure what the issues were (if any) but I know the customers lost a lot of money in them and were still glad to get rid.

Great Wall very cheap and plastickey. You get what you pay for. Don't pay half the price and expect it to be a hilux.

Spoke to team wild at the shooting show, they have been running a great wall pickup for a year, they seemed to think very highly of it

Just looked at the specs of a new Great Wall pickup....
17 seconds 0-60 and 32mpg.
Nothing changed then. But 17 seconds... must be the slowest accelerating car on the market!? At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #313363 18th Dec 2016 5:26 pm
Paul-90

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the replies. I'm just thinking of what to replace my freelander with next year. Would like a pickup and was just curious if anyone on here has any experience with them. On other forums it seems everyone says to avoid them however no one has ever actually driven them. It's more just because it's not a hilux or l200 it's obviously going to be terrible. Will probably go test drive on anyway just to see how they compare with a l200 etc.

Post #313364 18th Dec 2016 5:32 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

The importers are International Motors in Birmingham, they also market Isuzu, Daihatsu, and Subaru, They were very customer focused when I was considering buying my Subaru and nothing was too much trouble. I'm sure if you contact them directly they will organise everything for you brochures, test drives etc 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #313372 18th Dec 2016 6:17 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

The largest cost on any car is always going to be depreciation. I'd take a long hard look at what used ones are achieving at two or three years old. Then, look at what used Japanese pick up you can buy for new Great Wall money and plot what that would lose after the same period of time. Even allowing for the possible cost of an additional warranty, I'd expect the loss on the Great Wall to be much greater.

In 2013, I bought two brand new and crated Chinese Honda CG125 clones. They were smart, well specified (stainless mud guards, cast wheel, electric start, rev counter etc etc.) and so cheap. I built one for my nephew, who paid simply me the price of the crated bike (about the same as a 25 year old Honda!) and sold the other as a delivery mileage used bike.

The quality of the build and metal on the bike was not even close to anything from Japan. The bike that I sold privately took ages until anyone showed any interest and when it did go, I just about covered the cost of buying the bike in the crate and registering it, but probably didn't cover the cost of the adverts! Rolling Eyes

There always seems to be a manufacturer selling "a new car for a used car price" which makes a tempting proposition. Back in the 1970's and early '80's, it would have been Lada. I've driven 1970's Lada's and they were hateful. Be very, very careful before being tempted by the price and the warranty, you'll almost certainly be better off going lightly used Japanese.

Isn't it a sign of the times that we're talking about replacing Land Rovers with Japanese and Chinese pick ups? I've gradually seen the family next door swapping from Land Rovers to Mitsubishi, Isuzu and Toyota; in fact, the last Land Rover went today. But then, Land Rover are currently so arrogant that they can sell every high price SUV/MPV that they can make, that they don't see large chunks of their existing customers drifting away...

If this still sounds fanciful, look at the other recent Chinese entrant into the UK car market - SIAC (MG Motors). Phone a few dealers and tell them that you have a year old MG6 that you want to trade in and see how far you get....

Post #313375 18th Dec 2016 6:56 pm
Paul-90

United Kingdom 

Yea I'd love a defender 110 double cab pick up but in reality the price that they are going is ridiculous. A Japanese pick up is coming in at a lot cheaper.

Post #313376 18th Dec 2016 7:06 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

The Chinese cars have barely made a dent here. Unreliable, have had asbestos in them are some issues. There are more dual cabs here than you can poke a stick at, I think we sell more of these & SUVs combined than sedans & they are to some degree taking over the SUV. They are all from the usual manufacturers.

There are plenty of reviews & comments in Australia on dual cabs.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/497458/mitsubi...omparison/

http://www.caradvice.com.au/videos/dual-ca...ux-amarok/ Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #313379 18th Dec 2016 7:42 pm
j77

Scotland 

Isuzu D-max, a sturdy workhorse Thumbs Up 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #313388 18th Dec 2016 9:56 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1