Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Anybody vaping on here?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
martslander

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 Sport Auto Santorini Black
Anybody vaping on here?

Bit of a random question but just wondered if anybody on here is using an e cigarette.

Really want to quit the weed and thought this might be worth a try but there seems so many different ones at varying prices.
Any advice appreciated Thumbs Up

Regards Martyn

2010 Sport LE Auto

Post #309578 24th Oct 2016 6:12 pm
s14tra

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

packed in july last year and am using blu e cigs,i know i would start smoking again if i did not use these and have saved a fortune(£25)day smoking.but it was my decision to stop and you must want to do it yourself Thumbs Up

Post #309592 24th Oct 2016 8:19 pm
martslander

Thanks for that.
What sort of strength do you think I should try?
Currently smoke around 20 rollies a day Martyn

2010 Sport LE Auto

Post #309593 24th Oct 2016 8:30 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

i have a couple of friends who use them, they used to smoke and found it helpful although they do suck down a fair bit of vape

saying that they say they are not getting the bad nicotine/other cigs stuff so its better for them, though vapes are still an unknown thing..... but ones a nurse at a hospital, so must be confident in them over cigs Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #309595 24th Oct 2016 8:40 pm
s14tra

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

strength is 18mg and is just tobacco not all those fancy flavours,used to smoke 60 a day Embarassed waking up finding it hard to breathe and coughing my guts up only to then light up and start again.the latter has now passed although i have yet to see if vaping is not without risk/harm in the future,still i feel a lot better so good luck Thumbs Up

Post #309599 24th Oct 2016 9:27 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

My dad smoked 40-60 a day, got diagnosed with lung cancer a while back

Been told he has 5-6 months left last week

If I smoked that is all the reasons I would need to stop, he did about 10-15 years ago after they found a Aneurism the size of a baked bean tin below his heart, but the cigs had done the damage by the looks of his diagnosis

If vaping helps do it, if not or the unknown is too high risk then Stop by other means Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #309602 25th Oct 2016 12:00 am
mudslinger

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Sumatra Black

Sorry to say, any other way of "trying to stop smoking" other than going cold turkey
and going through withdrawal symptoms phase anything else is only kidology.. Big Cry Big Cry

I have the greatest sympathy with anyone wanting to stop , BUT until YOUR brain says it is time to stop

you never will ...

My biggest incentive was being shown round a ward of chronic smokers in hospital, with varying degrees of problems then shown the difference between clean and smokers lungs ..
threw my packet of cigs away and not had one since 42 years 5 months 6 days ago

Good luck .... ps got addicted to extra strong mints !! (could make Icebergs in a single breath from 3 miles away )

now on the occasional tic tac .... Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Wales
Were the mud is thicker, and the ruts are deeper.
(And we have the water to wash it off, and more on the way..! )
Sd4 and chrome Ar*e piece, Auto box for best fun
09 Xs Gone
12 xs Gone
HSE with Leather seats and 4 years warrenty.. staying for now !

Post #309608 25th Oct 2016 8:14 am
stooby

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Rimini Red

Of course, cold turkey is the best way....if you can. Personally I think e-cigs are a revelation.
Indeed, it may be some time before the full effects of vaping become known but the overwhelming evidence at the moment is that it is relatively harmless compared to smoking.
They work for smokers because they replace much of the feeling and the routine associated with smoking but without the tar and chemicals in cigarette smoke. Gum and patches etc feel like punishment and it's no wonder many people try to stop and fail. Yes, if you reach that point where your brain tells you to to stop then you will. However for everyone else, what's wrong with a helping hand? Put it this way, my other half smoked twice as much as I did and had no intention on giving up. I never thought I'd see the day she would not be smoking. We both got vapes 3 years ago and she hasn't touched a fag since. Yes she still vapes 3 years on but it's a tiny amount and it's not fags! For many, many people vaping will be the only way to get some people off the cigarettes.
For that reason I cannot understand why there is so much feeling against vaping by some people. I sometimes think that it's just prejudice. How dare these smokers continue having a good time but in a healthier way!

Anyway, to the OP. To start vaping be prepared to spend a bit of cash. There are so many types of e-cig, batteries and fluids. What you need to find is the right device for you and very importantly the right fluid for you. I started on tobacco falvoured juices and for a long while I still felt the need for a fag. I then tried some of the fruit flavours and now the thought of the taste of a fag makes me feel sick. My missus on the other hand still uses some tobacco flavours and could not go back to rollies if you paid her.
Try https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/forums/ or pm me if you want a chat.
Stuart

Post #309614 25th Oct 2016 9:44 am
Jimboland

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

The only real way to stop smoking is cold turkey and as mudslingler says any other way is "kidology". Vaping is just a substitute for real cigs and still contain addictive nicotine which means that your brain can demand more and more nicotine and that will get you back on real fags.

OK, so it aint easy to stop, but take it one small step at a time and the way to do it is to put off having that "next" cig in maybe an hour or so or however often it is you have between cigs. Then after couple of days go for a longer gap and then keep on doing that until you get down to 1 or 2 cigs a day. But while you are doing this don't make it a target to have a cig at a certain time or after a certain gap. When that time comes around if you can put off having that cig then put it off. It may help to make sure you are somewhere where smoking isn't allowed. Keep on trying to go longer and longer between cigs then you will get to the stage where you don't enjoy them any more and from that point it all becomes so much easier. You will get gravings from time to time but don't be tempted to just have one cig to prove you can have one and the get back off them because it won't work - you will go back on them.

Best thing I ever did was to become an ex smoker. I wouldn't say it is better than sex but now I can do all the sex stuff I want (subject to the Mrs!) whereas before it was becoming quite a struggle and the heavy breathing was down to the fags!

Good luck,

Jimboland, ex 40 a day man.

Post #309616 25th Oct 2016 9:55 am
stooby

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Rimini Red

Vaping without touching a cigarette is not kidology. No fags = not smoking.
It's not the nicotine that's the problem. It's the tar and hundreds of toxic chemicals and gases in cigarette smoke.
Yes it is better to stop smoking and not vape. But vaping is not smoking and personally, I'm kidding no one. I know what I'm doing and I know that I am not smoking.
At the end of the day everyone is different. Every ex-smoker will have a different story and will use different techniques to stop. You have to find what's right for you. If vaping gets you off the fags then do it. Getting off the vaping is much easier (I have gone a day without when my battery has died or I have run out of juice - no drama. If that had been tobacco I'd have climbed the walls).

Post #309623 25th Oct 2016 10:34 am
SteveC

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

I smoked for over 40 years, and was smoking 40 roll-ups a day.

Started vaping instead 18 months ago and haven't smoked since.

Started on 18mg and gradually reduced it over a few months. I make my own juice, and now down to 2mg strength.

I know I wouldn't have been able to do it without a substitute, and patches don't give you that "something to do with your hands" support that vaping does. Steve

2008 TD4 HSE Auto, Zermatt Silver

Post #309626 25th Oct 2016 11:06 am
SimonB

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Give Champix a try.

First time around my other half and I got it on prescription. You smoke for two weeks whilst taking the pills. They cut off most of the addiction whilst you're still smoking, so when you stop (at some point in those two weeks, you decide) the cravings are very much reduced. In my case I just had a vague notion that I wanted to smoke, and very eash to quash.

You take them for 3 months and then stop. My other half stayed stopped, and is now a vehement non-smoker. I thought I could have one, at a party, tasted awful, but then a few moments of stress in the following weeks were enough to start me smoking again.

I smoked for a few more years, then tried patches. Champix was no longer available on prescription, had to go through the local stop smoking porgramme and they only offered patches. Worked for a while, but started gradually again.

I then tried vaping (with Vype, my other half worked for BAT ironically and got them cheap) but it just wasn't a substitute. Didn't taste like smoking, didn't feel like a cigarette, and there was no notion of the cigarette ending.

Anyway then looked at the cost of a course of Champix. About £250 from Boots online. Did it and haven't looked back. Admittedly at that point there was more pressure to give up. It was unfair on my other half, a re-org at work meant sitting closer to colleagues, more and more stigma against smoking etc.

Champix has in the past got a bad rep for side effects. In my case a little nausea the first time around, and some weird dreams, but that was it.

I would recommend it.

Post #309639 25th Oct 2016 3:21 pm
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

I have never tried vaping and fail to understand what would possess people to 'smoke' strawberry and aniseed with Branston pickle flavour liquid.*

I gave up the best part of ten years ago, initially with prescription patches but they were binned a few days in and I just got on with the thing. The hardest perceived obstacle was seeing myself as a non smoker after so many years of cigarettes. Getting near to the point where the tobacco damage to my body is as fully repaired as it will ever be too.

Happily, since my body / brain accepted that ciggies were a thing of the past, I have never ever felt a desire for a smoke and other people's smoke now makes me feel as though I am suffocating. A small price to pay to be free of the evil weed.

* Other strange flavours are available

Post #309640 25th Oct 2016 3:28 pm
martslander

Guys, thank you very much for all the input and support.

I have bought today an 'e' cig , juice, chargers and the lot.
I will see how it goes, certainly a step in the right direction!

Regards Martyn

2010 Sport LE Auto

Post #309657 25th Oct 2016 7:24 pm
SaabDriver

England 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Loire Blue

Good move Martin. I changed to vaping 4 yrs ago and feel a lot better for it.
The main thing is to find the juice that suits you. A good vape shop will let you try them and advise on the right mix for the type of ecig you have.
I never liked the cig flavour juices and have always used the fruity ones.

Alan Mine, Saab convertible
Hers, MY08 GS auto

Post #309675 25th Oct 2016 9:41 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>