Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
The Doctor

United Kingdom 
Motorists to be prosecuted for passing too close to cyclists

Discuss

Motorists face prosecution for driving too close to cyclists
http://news.sky.com/story/motorists-face-p...s-10579708 LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #306897 16th Sep 2016 11:26 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

i think you need to amend it slightly to

"Motorists may be prosecuted for passing too close to police officers riding a bike"

The article states that is the case,

and from my experience, it will not be widespread unless the driving is witnessed by a police officer at the time, head cam footage will mean jackshit

Cars passing cycles too close is a hazard, just like cyclist riding down a rode not in a straight line but weaving side to side didging the smallest stone or fag butt , or 10 abreast

Personally i think the police should spend their resources better Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #306898 16th Sep 2016 11:47 am
DeeJayCee

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Perhaps if cyclists wish to be treated as if they were a car then perhaps the law according to cars should be applied to them:
1. not driving on the pavement;
2. Not undertaking and then pulling up in front of you at junctions;
3. Police officers on bike not taking their hands off the handlebars to use hand held personal communications equipment;

Oh, I see its one rule for them and many for car drivers..... 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto - Stornoway Grey - Hers (His, really)
2002 Audi S8 4.2 Quattro - Ming Blue - Definitely His

Post #306900 16th Sep 2016 12:13 pm
heyho

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

And DeeJayCee...

4. To take a full cycle riding test before they can go on the roads.

taking full notice of the Highway Code:

Rule 66

•never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends

Rule 71

You MUST NOT cross the stop line when the traffic lights are red. Some junctions have an advanced stop line to enable you to wait and position yourself ahead of other traffic

Post #306903 16th Sep 2016 12:58 pm
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

AS a cyclist and a motorist I think you're tarring all cyclists with the same brush here. It's like saying all motorists are boy racers who can't park! Whistle
I don't do any of those things you mentioned above on the bike, I'm pretty careful and I still get vehicles of all sizes coming really close. I try to avoid busy traffic times and stick to country roads to avoid holding people up and you still get cars whizzing past inches away at 60 mph. Motorists should try it to see what it's like, it's pretty scary.
I've been knocked off a bike twice by cars and it's not pleasant. I know people get irked sitting behind bikes but if I hear a motor is behind me I try to pull in to a passing place to let them by if I can.
The problem is the sides of the roads are quite often very potholed and a narrow tyred bike can't go down holes like that. I know someone said about bikes swerving but if you suddenly come across a deep pothole in your car don't you try to avoid it?? The consequences of hitting a pothole in a car might be puncture or susp/wheel damage but on a bike it could be a nasty crash or worse.
There are bad drivers and bad cyclists but i think this might be very hard to enforce. Thumbs Up

Post #306906 16th Sep 2016 1:28 pm
DeeJayCee

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

No intent to paint all with the same brush. There are examples of bad driving on all sides and I am sure that we all do our best not to conduct ourselves in the ways shown. 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto - Stornoway Grey - Hers (His, really)
2002 Audi S8 4.2 Quattro - Ming Blue - Definitely His

Post #306908 16th Sep 2016 1:42 pm
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I agree with all above and it wouldn't hurt if cyclists had insurance too.

Post #306909 16th Sep 2016 2:37 pm
Chuckalicious

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

Interesting one this. Obviously there are loads of good and bad cyclists just as there are with drivers, but, how many drivers would actually get prosecuted, assuming it isn't just of they pass a police cyclist too close.

Considering the other thread on here somewhere where we have all been told by police forces when we submit dash cam or video footage of clear law breaking on the roads they shrug their shoulders and say if they weren't there they can't do anything about it. So I would assume that should apply to cyclists helmet cams. Bet it doesn't though. Learned to drive in 2011.
Bought a Micra - great little car
"Upgraded" to Kia Sportage - hated it
Proper upgrade to FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k
Reconditioned diff at 70k ish
Sold at 84k and now on a DS. Terribly unreliable.
Sold DS for a 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Fingers crossed....
Sold Outlander for a 2014 SD4 SE Tech because I’m mental

Post #306911 16th Sep 2016 3:27 pm
j77

Scotland 

I would like to prosecute cyclists who pass my coach on the inside whilst I'm sitting at lights, despite signs on the rear telling them not to. The ones who go through red lights, crossings whilst pedestrians are crossing, cycle in large groups making it difficult to pass safely and the list goes on.

Cyclists are a hazard of the job for me, the company send us on courses on how to deal with cyclists and we get very little complaints, but some cyclists blatant ignorance of what's happening around them cause the most problems. I have a high tolerance of them as I wouldn't give them the satisfaction of reporting me. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #306912 16th Sep 2016 3:59 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Since dashcams really took off, police forces have been snowed under with dashcam footage being sent to them but some of the less severe stuff they just don't have the resources to pursue. There have been cases of convictions secured thanks in part to dashcam footage.

Then there's this: http://www.policewitness.com/services/ LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #306914 16th Sep 2016 5:25 pm
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

The problem with dashcam footage is it's sometimes very hard to get a really accurate version of events maybe, I know the cops have to have their recording and measuring equipt tested for accuracy etc so there are no problems in court with technicalities.
I was out on the bike today and I heard a large motor behind me and the first chance I got I pulled in and let it pass and surprise it was a coach. I gave the lady a wave for waiting and she waved back. All very pleasant. Bikes who go down the inside of lorries and buses etc are asking for trouble.
Now if only we could get rid of those bloody tractors/JCB's/road sweepers/.......... Whistle (this is a joke before anyone retaliates!)

Post #306917 16th Sep 2016 5:33 pm
wurzel153

2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Loire Blue

I thought cyclists can now cycle on pavements. Was the law not amended so that it was an offense to 'furiously' Cycle on the footway. Some legal buff told me.

Post #306918 16th Sep 2016 5:44 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

http://www.bikehub.co.uk/featured-articles/cycling-and-the-law/ LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #306919 16th Sep 2016 5:56 pm
wurzel153

2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Loire Blue

Sorry, got confused. I see it is not a trespass anymore to cycle on a footpath (apparently). Different to pavement.

Post #306920 16th Sep 2016 6:02 pm
simong_uk

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

This is well worthwhile, especially on the roads they are doing it on...I'm a cyclist and a motorist, and there are good and bad on both sides.

DJC, don't forget using a handheld radio is not the same as a mobile - https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q659.htm 2000 Xei 1.8 gone
2004 HSE Td4 Auto, MT's, sump guard, sliderz - gone
2014 GS Man - AT's, Mantec Sump guard and tank guard, split charger in boot, towbar, work in progress...

Post #306927 16th Sep 2016 9:24 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>